Everything is possible if you try!

Comments

• Hi EH
    I usually do food shopping once a week, based on a meal plan, which tends to work well during the week, but is a bit looser over the weekends, when I'll often pop over to friends on say a saturday afternoon and end up staying for the evening and getting takeaway instead of eating at home (though this is still cheaper than a night out). I have done a good sort out of cupboard food, just need to go through the freezer still - it's on the jobs list for this weekend!
    My current phone contract is with 3, might see what they can offer me when contract is up!
    #Frugal February : NSDs Target =16
    Started here on 07 September 2017: Total:[STRIKE] £20,521[/STRIKE] £19847
    Barclaycard: [STRIKE]£14659[/STRIKE] £14435 Oct 2017 HSBC Credit Card : [STRIKE]£3112[/STRIKE] £3012 Oct 2017
    Overdraft: [STRIKE]350[/STRIKE] £0 Oct2017 MBNA : 2400
    A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. I'm on my way!
  • I managed to get off my contract with EE 3 months before it was due to finish by ringing them up and giving them details of a deal Plusnet were offering at the time - they matched the deal as a SIM only which was exactly what I wanted, so it may be worth a call a couple of months ahead of the contract end date?

Also tend to be a bit looser with food planning over the weekend - we have a selection of favourite meals for weekends which come into play but usually the makings of those are in the freezer or fridge so I don't plan them rigidly. :D

My freezer audit is also on the list for this weekend!
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Managed a no spend day yesterday, and I'm on track for bringing lunches into work. So far, so good, though only 2 weeks in.
    We were gifted some lovely runner beans from a neighbours allotment, so super fresh tasty veg for tea yesterday :)
    Barclaycard: [STRIKE]£14659[/STRIKE] £14435 Oct 2017 HSBC Credit Card : [STRIKE]£3112[/STRIKE] £3012 Oct 2017
  • Tea&Kittens
    Tea&Kittens Posts: 195 Forumite
    edited 20 September 2017 at 2:49PM
    My budget has almost become like a mantra in my mind, making sure each £ of wages is properly accounted for while trying to reduce debt, while also trying to save for important things and events!
    I've had a think about emergency funds being exactly that, so I've set up an additional cash saver account so that I can have one as a genuine emergency fund (I'm thinking most likely use of this is for car/house issues, so I'm also accounting for car tax, insurance and MOT expenses) and the other for saving for more "Luxury" spends such as special occasions, holidays, other sundries. I've spent quite a bit of time working out how to divide the remaining funds after paying all monthly bills and (more than the minimum on) credit cards and I think I have something which should work, so this is what I will be attempting to stick to, I'm hoping to be amending expenditure downwards so I can pay more off the cards as I get better at it/more used to it.
    Enthusiastic saver - I did have a look at transferring the interest portion of the b'card to an interest free option. I did the find the best card for you thing elsewhere on this forum, and it suggested the MBNA, but most they would give me was £2500 (so that balance was originally on the b'card but is now a little bit of interest free ....
  • @Tea&Kittens found you and subscribed. Read your first two messages, it's strikingly similar... was shocked to learn that an IVA was suggested. You haven't done that, have you?
  • My budget has almost become like a mantra in my mind, making sure each £ of wages is properly accounted for while trying to reduce debt, while also trying to save for important things and events!
    I've had a think about emergency funds being exactly that, so I've set up an additional cash saver account so that I can have one as a genuine emergency fund (I'm thinking most likely use of this is for car/house issues, so I'm also accounting for car tax, insurance and MOT expenses) and the other for saving for more "Luxury" spends such as special occasions, holidays, other sundries. I've spent quite a bit of time working out how to divide the remaining funds after paying all monthly bills and (more than the minimum on) credit cards and I think I have something which should work, so this is what I will be attempting to stick to, I'm hoping to be amending expenditure downwards so I can pay more off the cards as I get better at it/more used to it.
    Enthusiastic saver - I did have a look at transferring the interest portion of the b'card to an interest free option. I did the find the best card for you thing elsewhere on this forum, and it suggested the MBNA, but most they would give me was £2500 (so that balance was originally on the b'card but is now a little bit of interest free ....

Excellent start and as time goes on it will become easier to keep spends within your limits. Great you are able to manage even slightly more than minimums. I do not think an IVA or DMP is for you. You can do this.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Hi Plush, I'm happy to say that I didn't go with an IVA option. I was all pretty much set to do so when I thought I couldn't see any way out (anxiety issues came into play, it was a really low day). I backed out at the very last minute after I found this forum, read some diaries, really took a good look at incomings and outgoings. I was surprised at how much I had left over after bills even with playing off the debt which was a huge kick up the behind about how irresponsibly I was spending.
    Now I feel that I'm doing something positive about it, more in control it helps.
  • Thanks for the encouragement enthusiastic saver! :)

Had another NSD today, that's 2 in a row :)
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Hi Tea & Kittens, just stopped by to say you have started of well. The budgets for things like food, entertainment etc can take a few months to get just right , so stick with it and don't worry if you have to keep changing things around.
    Have subscribed to cheer you on.
  • Well done tea on the 2 NSDs :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family