The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Credit Card Interest?

Hi Guys,

I'm new to MSE and was wondering if anyone can help me? I currently have £1,500 on a credit card of which I have been paying the minimum amount each month. My question is, if I pay the full amount off now and then use the card to pay my bills during the month would I avoid interest?

Many Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• There would be some residual interest on the next statement, but once you have cleared two consecutive statements in full, there would be no interest if you continued to clear in full each month (assuming no cash transactions etc).
  • Ok thank you, so paying the card in full each month and using it solely for the usual bills etc means I could lose the 30% interest altogether going forward?
  • Yes, as long as you clear in full each month.
  • Unless you're on a special deal, it really is a mug's game paying minimums. If you have the funds, pay down the balance as much as possible. The more you pay, then the less interest you will pay.

If you pay off the full balance now, then you won't get any interest on further purchases provided you continue to pay in full each month. As zx81 notes, you will see some interest on your next statement - this will be interest between generation of the last statement when your full payment arrived.
  • phillw
    phillw Posts: 5,593
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    My question is, if I pay the full amount off now and then use the card to pay my bills during the month would I avoid interest?

No. You normally only avoid interest in a month if you had paid the previous statement balance on or before the "to reach us by" date.

If you phone them up and pay off the balance & switch the direct debit to taking the full amount, then you might be able to get them to waive the interest. I've been able to do that when I've messed up the dates coming out of a 0% deal, you have less leverage but it never hurts to ask nicely.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure