Smart phone advice

Options

Comments

• ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,065 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I googled the Gretel, to check. Found it for sale on amazon. Don't rush to judge.

first post praising / sales pitch for a uncommon phone = SPAM!
  • martinthebandit
    Options
    I looking at getting a smart phone. I've been more than happy with my dumb phone for many years but it's time for me get up to date. I'd welcome any advice / opinions, on handsets, operating systems, (Android, iOS, Windows 10 mobile etc), networks, where to buy and any info you think will be of help. I'm ok paying around £150 for the handset and £10 ish a month top up.

I've got a moto G5 handset (£149 from Argos a few weeks ago) and a £7:50 a month contract with Tesco which gives me all the data, texts and calls I need which also came with a 'free' phone which I flogged on eBay.
  • fox_warrior
    Options
    I presume you're aware that you have to pay another £10 a month if you leave Sky at any time? If you're a light data user and intend to keep Sky then it's a decent deal however the rollover is only redeemable in 500MB chunks so it'll take a couple of months at least (depending on usage) before you have any rollover that you can access.

Thanks for the heads up. It prompted me to ask more questions. I can only roll back in 1GB chunks. I get an alert on the phone when my allowance is getting low, 80% or so. The guy I spoke to was very good, he explained how to set up "Data traffic" if I get the P8 Lite. It overlays my real time usage so I can see it all the time. If data runs out while I'm using it, it just stops working. I can ring Sky customer service 150 free phone to buy more data if I want, £10 for 1GB. I'm not planning on leaving Sky TV any time soon, but if I do, the Sky Mobile is charged as follows,
    "12-month minimum term. Free Unlimited Calls and Texts will end on cancellation of TV subscription and standard published prices will apply (currently £10 a month)".
    I make use of Sky Go. Sky Go Extra is £5 a month extra but apparently if I download an App, (Not sure which one yet), I get it for free. I'll just have to see how my usage pans out and if necessary change it or "Mix" it as follows,
    "Choose the data, calls and texts to suit your needs. If you need more or less you can change your Mix every month, so you only pay for what you need".

Don't know how that works yet. On the face of it, it's very flexible, I can choose a different plan whenever I want, I prefer that to being in a "fixed" plan for 12 months.
    Time will tell.
    Thanks for reading. Live long & prosper
  • d123
    d123 Posts: 8,622 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I presume you're aware that you have to pay another £10 a month if you leave Sky at any time? If you're a light data user and intend to keep Sky then it's a decent deal however the rollover is only redeemable in 500MB chunks* so it'll take a couple of months at least (depending on usage) before you have any rollover that you can access.

*1GB chunks.
    Terms & conditions

Redeem your data in 1GB increments.

https://www.sky.com/shop/mobile/features#feature-roll
    ====
  • ballyblack
    Options
    and a £7:50 a month contract with Tesco

Have you tried using the Tesco Xtras app to get a further reduction of £3??

http://www.tescomobile.com/help-and-support/1081-pay-monthly/1093-your-bill-contract/xtras
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    d123 wrote: »

Yes, I was just going to reply to the OP about that, I did look on Sky's website but damned if I could find it at the time.

With the 500MB deal that means it'll be a minimum 3 months before the feature can be used. That said I would consider it for myself dependant on if I keep my current TV sub after December or if I can convince them to give me a rolling monthly contract.
  • gonzo127
    gonzo127 Posts: 4,482 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    dont know how good the network coverage is but price wise they are pretty impressive

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/shop/plans/sim-only-deals
    Drop a brand challenge
    on a £100 shop you might on average get 70 items save
    10p per product = £7 a week ~ £28 a month
    20p per product = £14 a week ~ £56 a month
    30p per product = £21 a week ~ £84 a month (or in other words one weeks shoping at the new price)
  • martinthebandit
    Options
    ballyblack wrote: »
    Have you tried using the Tesco Xtras app to get a further reduction of £3??

http://www.tescomobile.com/help-and-support/1081-pay-monthly/1093-your-bill-contract/xtras
    I've looked at that but I'm not sure how spammy it'll be, do you use it?
  • ballyblack
    Options
    Yes I use it. One or two adverts appear daily, some days none on the screen........easily dismissed by clicking X.

I have got used to it and dont notice them. You get extra free data 200 mb as well as the £3 discount

easily uninstalled if you dont like

A no brainer!
  • glennevis
    Options
    "If data runs out while I'm using it, it just stops working."

OP that is perfect for you, no nasty surprise bills. Can Sky disable premium rate SMS messages? (I know Three can do this) so you don't get caught out by that kind of scam either.

If you want to analyse your data usage I recommend an app called 3G Watchdog.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure