PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

I'm having housing a moan . . . . .

Comments

• Bishop's Stortford maybe?

e.g. http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-67504871.html

Though hitting your 1 hour door to door might be tricky. Depends where you work and if you'd be willing to use a folding bike.
  • The Op is looking to pay £325 a week which is an awful lot of money - 61% of the average UK salary.

We are now reaching the stage where people on ordinary salaries cannot afford to live in London.
    I read it as 325k to buy, but you could well be right. Perhaps the OP will clarify?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5562397

OP is looking to buy at least was a while ago

since 2016 OP seems to have done something, from a £30k single income with £60k deposit (£180k max purchase price at 4x) to £325k, so not too bad.
  • Have you actually looked at travel times? Gravesend to Kings Cross St Pancras is 16 mins, not an hour lol.
  • ThePants999
    ThePants999 Posts: 1,748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    ReadingTim wrote: »
    If it's any consolation, I feel the same about the luxury yacht market, and don't even get me started on private jets....
    I did smile, but I don't think it's appropriate to lump typical housing in with yachts and jets. Such luxuries have always been out of reach of the ordinary working man, but once upon a time, a 3 bed house with a reasonable commute wasn't! I have plenty of sympathy for people moaning that the average house in the South East is now 10 times the average salary, when 20 years ago it was 4 times. That is a genuine problem that could have been avoided if governments had prioritised it enough.
  • Murphybear
    Murphybear Posts: 7,270 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I do sympathise that you cannot find what you want in the housing market.

Unfortunately this is all too common. We have been looking for a new house to rent since the beginning of November. Our requirements were simple. Minimum of 3 bedrooms and 2 reception rooms, lots of space to store our huge amount of "stuff", big kitchen with room for washing machine, dishwasher, 2 freezers and full size fridge, quiet area with no kids, parking, cat allowed. Preferably detached or semi. Reasonable rent:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Impossible you might think? We saw, on Rightmove, a rural farmhouse, 4 bedrooms, 3 reception rooms, big kitchen and wood burning stove to heat it in winter. We saw it, fell in love, met the farmer who owned it who got on with my OH like you wouldn't believe.;). We moved in 3 weeks ago. Rent not much more than our horrible mid terrace with noisy neighbours both sides.

Miracles do happen ...
  • I did smile, but I don't think it's appropriate to lump typical housing in with yachts and jets. Such luxuries have always been out of reach of the ordinary working man, but once upon a time, a 3 bed house with a reasonable commute wasn't! I have plenty of sympathy for people moaning that the average house in the South East is now 10 times the average salary, when 20 years ago it was 4 times. That is a genuine problem that could have been avoided if governments had prioritised it enough.

http://www.economicshelp.org/blog/5568/housing/uk-house-price-affordability/

Mortgage payments as a percentage of income are at a 30 year low, deposit requirements are high I accept .

Household income has also risen much quicker than inflation (more women in the workplace means comparing 1970 single income households to 2017 duel income households isn't fair)

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20160107030736/http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/dcp171776_341133.pdf

so you are suggesting that governments prioritized keeping mortgage rates high, and keeping women out of the workplace (along with other things)?
  • Maxwell007 wrote: »
    Is it just me but are the house prices in London and Kent still way over priced,

Me and the wife have £325 to spend tops,

all we want is a good 2 & a half / 3bed with garden with parking space, and walking distance to train station . . . .

no more the 1hour door to door to city and back, travel cost under £300 per month,

Maybe i'm asking for too much hahaah

When is this CRASH GONNA HAPPEN . . .

Apply to go on location, location, location!
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    By wishing a crash you're wishing for many, many peoples' lives to get more difficult and financially terrible. If people save and are open minded, they will be able to get on the ladder.

Being hundreds of thousands in debt in the lowest interest rate environment ever for basic shelter is already terrible, many will be glad to go bankrupt IMO, it will be less stressful than the daily grind just to service a big mortgage.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    ReadingTim wrote: »
    If it's any consolation, I feel the same about the luxury yacht market, and don't even get me started on private jets....

Yes, but most sensible people know these items are not in the same category as a place to live (although the sales techniques during the bubble were designed to make property appear as desirable as certain "high end" items, maybe you were taken in?)
  • SuboJvR
    SuboJvR Posts: 481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Have you actually looked at travel times? Gravesend to Kings Cross St Pancras is 16 mins, not an hour lol.

Not sure the travel cost would meet his criteria though on the high speed! May be wrong!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure