Anti-Fraud Checks

Yesterday, my wife transferred some money from our joint account into a savings account with another bank. This resulted in a request to call our bank. I gave them a call and was told that they couldn't discuss the matter with me as the transfer was made using my wife's online log in details!! The fact that I had got the joint account open in front of me and I was able to provide details of where the money had gone etc made no difference whatsoever; the Bank insisted on speaking to my wife. Has the Banking World gone completely mad?

Comments

• le_loup
    le_loup Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Hengus wrote: »
    Has the Banking World gone completely mad?
    No.
    With the fraud that goes on in this area, you should be delighted that your bank is caring for your money.
  • Sparx
    Sparx Posts: 909 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Not really. I guess they want to speak with the person who completed the transfer obviously?

They likely feel the questions should be answered by the person who has done the transfer...
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Sparx wrote: »
    Not really. I guess they want to speak with the person who completed the transfer obviously?

They likely feel the questions should be answered by the person who has done the transfer...

Just had a call from a manager to say that it is in fact the Bank’s policy to speak to either party when making an anti-fraud check on a joint account. The CS staff member was apparently confused/ over zealous as my wife also has personal accounts which can be accessed via her online log in. They will re-brief their CS staff on how to deal with this situation in the future.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    I've learnt the hard way that it is not wise to let bank staff think you have access to the other half's accounts. Well it wasn't hard for me but the wife had to reset all her login details & security questions!
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure