National Insurance number recorded slightly out by new employer

Hi there

After checking through my details on an employee portal as a new starter - I saw my national insurance number recorded slightly wrong with a difference in digit as would appear where one of the number's is a 7 this has now been turned into a number 1! - after I couldn't edit this I've tried alerting the employer but no response received yet and it's now out of their SLA times so don't know when they will respond, which I've heard could be later then sooner, it's a large organisation to be fair and I didn't know whether I should keep creating multiple tickets for the same issue and annoy them, while at the same time, don't know the effects for me or if anyone does have the exact number being displayed on the portal.

Should I wait until I receive the first payslip which isn't to far off and then contact HMRC?

They did see my national insurance card and copied it, before I started but where it is nearly 20 years since issue maybe hasn't copied well due to it's fadeness, leading to this oversight - would I be able to ask for a card re-issue to avoid this type of mistake again in the future does anyone know just as a random silly out there question.

There was also a DBS check being performed, but I'm sure I was involved in supplying or reconfirming the national insurance number for that.
(**The portal is a paperless alternative to filling in P46, collecting payslips, seeing contract and updating personal details etc)

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I saw my national insurance number recorded slightly wrong with a difference in digit as would appear where one of the number's is a 7 this has now been turned into a number 1! -

I would not allow this mistake to go unrectified.

Have you telephoned HR?
  • jimmo
    jimmo Posts: 2,281 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    The potential problem here is that when you reach State Pension Age there will be a significant void in your National Insurance record leading to a substantial underpayment of your State Pension. The longer you allow this to go on, the more difficult it will be to get it sorted. I would do it now but not get too carried away. I would be phoning HR/ Payroll once a week if necessary.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    It's not slightly wrong, a NINO is either right or wrong and the one that they have used is very definitely wrong. As advised you need to ensure this is sorted asap and if necessary retrospective action taken to redirect any payment sent to the wrong number.
  • chrismac1
    chrismac1 Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    This is one area in which HMRC are usually very reliable and accurate - and if you check my posting history, it's not often I say that!

I process 47 payrolls per month, and every few months a new joiner gives an incorrect NI number. Within 2 to 3 months I get a notification of the correct one, typically one digit or letter different.

So I suggest waiting 3 months and if your payslip is not showing the right NI number then take it up with your employer and HMRC.
    Hideous Muddles from Right Charlies
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport