Free Social care in the home Scotland

Can you advise if a full joint account is assessed as savings or just half please, totally confused at the moment. The account is in my mother's name and mine.

Comments

• teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    In England the account is seen to be split 50:50, but there are snags.
    These are completely made up figures to illustrate a point :
    Maximum savings allowed to get help £16000
    Amount in account £40000 ie £20000 each

You may assume that once £4000 of the person needing care's money is used the amounts would be £16000 entitling help with care and £20000...

but this is not the case. Now there is £36000 in the account,each is assumed to have £18000 meaning the target is not yet reached. (For the person to be assessed as having £16000,there must be only £32000 in the account.)

It is therefore better to separate the individual holdings into different accounts in the holders' own names.
  • teddysmum
    I don't know how Scotland will be affected, but Theresa May has announced new arrangements, that mean the values of the house will be taken into account when assessing for free home care ,whereas, at the moment, this only happens if the person is in residential care
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    teddysmum wrote: »
    In England the account is seen to be split 50:50, but there are snags.
    These are completely made up figures to illustrate a point :
    Maximum savings allowed to get help £16000
    Amount in account £40000 ie £20000 each

You may assume that once £4000 of the person needing care's money is used the amounts would be £16000 entitling help with care and £20000...

but this is not the case. Now there is £36000 in the account,each is assumed to have £18000 meaning the target is not yet reached. (For the person to be assessed as having £16000,there must be only £32000 in the account.)

It is therefore better to separate the individual holdings into different accounts in the holders' own names.

This is correct, but in the case of an account shared with a non spouse SS will look at the account to determine if it is genuinely a shared account. For instance, if only one person has contributed to the account or one name was added recently this would raise questions. If the two people lived together and it was the household expenses account then there wouldn't be a problem.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Can you advise if a full joint account is assessed as savings or just half please, totally confused at the moment. The account is in my mother's name and mine.

Who provided the money in the account? Is all the money your mother's but a joint account was opened for convenience ( so that you could do her shopping for example)?
  • independance
    independance Posts: 1,572 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    xylophone wrote: »
    Who provided the money in the account? Is all the money your mother's but a joint account was opened for convenience ( so that you could do her shopping for example)?

It's mums money but I use it for her as she is disabled. I think my ? Has been answered, thank's to all who contributed.
  • teddysmum
    It's mums money but I use it for her as she is disabled. I think my ? Has been answered, thank's to all who contributed.

As you have no actual share in the money and are just taking care of it, the 50/50 split may not apply and the whole be attributed to your mum, especially as you are not a partners.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure