The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

How Many Isa's Can One Person Have

Comments

• chewmylegoff
    chewmylegoff Posts: 11,466
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    If the inland revenue find out then what happens?

and if there is a problem with having more then one then why do we get offered a few ?

if the inland revenue finds out and decides that you are evading tax on purpose then i expect you'll have to pay the tax you would've done if the extra ISA account wasn't an ISA, plus a fine of up to 100% (i think) of the tax you evaded. technically you can get a prison sentence for tax evasion but in practice opening an extra ISA probably isn't deemed an offence worthy of a prison sentence because the amount of tax evaded would be too small.

when you open an ISA you have to provide your national insurance number, the bank then has to inform the inland revenue that you have opened the account, so theoretically the revenue should have all this data in a database and should be able to spot duplicate ISAs associated with the same NI number pretty quickly, although the reality is they probably put all the data on a CD and then lose it in their internal post ;).
  • ad44downey
    ad44downey Posts: 2,246 Forumite
    If the inland revenue find out then what happens?

and if there is a problem with having more then one then why do we get offered a few ?
    they lock you up and throw away the key. the bounders.
    Krusty & Phil Madoff, 1990 - 2007:
    "Buy now because house prices only ever go UP, UP, UP."
  • Ok so i got my 2 ISA forms through today from RBS , one is for this telephone/internet banking ISA and the other is a Cash ISA, i only wanna have the one cause i dont want locked up in the bounders :( lol whats the best one to keep?
    Better to understand a little than to misunderstand a lot.
  • baby_boomer
    baby_boomer Posts: 3,880
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    ad44downey wrote: »
    you can have as many as you want. just as long as the inland revenue don't find out
    In fact, you really can have as many as you want ;).

After the end of a tax year, Past ISAs can be split into as many sub-ISAs as you want with differing institutions according to the Inland Revenue's own rules.

You are just limited to one mini-Cash ISA in the current tax year, and you can't add money, except interest earned, to these past ISAs.
  • I dont even no what the means lol :( so baby boomer do u think im better with the one or both, i just want sumthing to put my tax credits into so i can pay an over draft or credit card off
  • Oblivion
    Oblivion Posts: 20,248
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Ok so i got my 2 ISA forms through today from RBS , one is for this telephone/internet banking ISA and the other is a Cash ISA, i only wanna have the one cause i dont want locked up in the bounders :( lol whats the best one to keep?

Are you sure the one you describe as "telephone/internet banking ISA" isn't an application for a Stocks & Shares ISA? Everyone is entitled to subscribe to both a Cash ISA and a Stocks & Shares ISA in the same tax year.

Dave.
    ... Dave
    Happily retired and enjoying my 14th year of leisure
    I am cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
    Bring me sunshine in your smile
  • It is called " TELEPHONE SAVER account with RBA "
  • cheerfulcat
    cheerfulcat Posts: 3,334
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Chrissybh0y, that's not an ISA, it's just an ordinary savings account. A pretty lousy one at that.

Link.
  • Chrissybh0y, that's not an ISA, it's just an ordinary savings account. A pretty lousy one at that.

Link.

Thanx for the link i wasnt told much about it when i was on the phone to them last week when they offered me it, so id better just stick with the ISA the offered me?
  • Oblivion
    Oblivion Posts: 20,248
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Chrissybh0y, that's not an ISA, it's just an ordinary savings account. A pretty lousy one at that.

Link.

Quite so.

Dave.
    ... Dave
    Happily retired and enjoying my 14th year of leisure
    I am cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
    Bring me sunshine in your smile
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport