PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The sewing thread

Comments

• katkin
    katkin Posts: 1,020
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    kittie wrote: »
    katkin, this thread belongs to all of you, not me. I think a challenge would be good and a tote would suit every person and would get to be on show afterwards. Personally I don`t have time to do a challenge as I am also going to spin a fine silk yarn blend, which will take me ages. So not me but I do think it is a great idea and would be something for the new and returning sewists to aim for. A couple of `making totes` sites would be good on here, just to get people started :)

Thanks kittie! I'm really impressed with spinning silk yarn. What will you do with it when spun, what colour are you working with. I adore silk but fear sewing with it, it's so slippy and soooo expensive to make a mistake with :o

That's great to hear quite a few like the idea of a tote bag for a wee sewing challenge in the new year :T

So will we give ourselves the month of January to make a tote? That could include posting ideas for the design / pattern, what we want to use the bag for, fabrics etc and any extras or personalised things we wish to do. We can also guesstimate the cost of the fabrics used etc. Ending with a pic of the final tote bag on the 31st January? Anything else?

It would be super cool to see all your ideas and how you tackle the sewing. A tote is ideal for beginners and the more experienced who may want to do something more technical.

Thanks for the craftster link maryb it's a good forum for all sorts of creative work :cool:
  • westcoastscot
    westcoastscot Posts: 1,404
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 17 December 2016 at 7:50PM
    Hi Katkin, hope you're well. A tote is a great idea - i'm up for that. Ideal for a beginner, and lots of opportunities to embellish etc.
    Looking ahead, maybe a pinny at some point???? (I need a new pinny, and some new hankies)

Fuddle yes dungarees are doable, but trousers can be a bit tricky getting them to fit well. There's a fair bit of seaming too, but the instructions in modern patterns are very good these days, particularly the ones designed for beginners.
    https://www.minervacrafts.com/shop/sewing/patterns/simplicity-1355-a-simplicity-ladies-easy-sewing-pattern-1355-jumpsuits-in-4-styles?gclid=CjwKEAiA4dPCBRCM4dqhlv2R1R8SJABom9pH0b5Lmsn2QkIncN3I24uSlppYR6PsjxGejfO8LYIznxoC6cLw_wcB - this looks really easy!!!

https://nadiawilliams.wordpress.com/2010/04/21/making-your-own-dungarees/
    A fantastic blogpost about how to make a dungaree pattern and then sew them - lots of pictures!!!!!

WCS
  • katkin
    Forumite
    Hi Katkin, hope you're well. A tote is a great idea - i'm up for that. Ideal for a beginner, and lots of opportunities to embellish etc.
    Looking ahead, maybe a pinny at some point???? (I need a new pinny, and some new hankies)
    WCS

Hi westcoast! :heart2: Yes I'm well, would be happy to hibernate through the winter mind hehe.. Roll on Spring! A bit of sewing will keep me busy indoors. I hope you are well too?

A pinny is a great idea as are "proper" hankies. I've made reusable kitchen roll before and find it really useful as are fabric face wipes. It's amazing how some bits of fabric can save you a fortune and be quite green as in environmentally friendly.

I like quilting but you need the patience of a saint for it :eek: only made one small quilt that I love to bits, but boy was it hard going. All those bits of fabric - the cutting then sewing together, they layering etc, then the actual quilting over it all. It's a beautiful, traditional craft. I've had more success with smaller things like place mats and coasters, they are satisfying to do.

Thanks everyone for joining in on the tote challenge, I'm getting excited about doing this with a group, even if we are just online it's so nice to share a task.
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    edited 17 December 2016 at 8:11PM
    Pinny! Yes please! I love aprons but love pinnies more... and don't have one. :D

I was thinking of using a pair of trousers that fit as the pattern withna bib added and then have two straps that attach to a single button at the back.

I also wondered whether elastic would do enough to gather in the waist if I sewed it in place stretched. I guess as I just want them as overalls I can play somewhat. They will have a floral patch somewhere. :D
  • Hi Katkin, yes pretty good here thanks.

Fuddle - the ones I made have elastic in the back, just cos I like freedom of movement in my clothes :-) And yes, floral patches are a must - mine are covered now as they have got holey, and marked :-)
  • katkin
    Forumite
    Fuddle are you thinking of something like this with an elasticated back at the waist?
    cc5080be6f92ec5a6e10aeadc9d4be60.jpg

Liking the idea of floral patches or pockets. Ladies clothing never have enough pockets!

I'm now absorbed in all things aprons and pinnies on Pintrest :o I know how to rock at Saturday night haha
  • Mumof2_2
    Mumof2_2 Posts: 2,694
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Finished my Toaster jumper 2 days ago and love it - I made it in grey and green striped French terry. The stripes don't match but that's fine by me!
    Flymarkeeteer: £168 and counting
  • Just a quick thanks to maryb went on the site you recommended and found a really useful tutorial on how to service your sewing machine.

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=440638.0
    Sealed pot challenge member 437
  • fuddle
    fuddle Posts: 6,823 Forumite
    edited 20 December 2016 at 10:34PM
    I am katkin, yeah. Thanks too WCS. I have to confess the dungarees are on the back burner. I have spent a lot of the day on my quilt and have found that the wadding and backing have slipped. A lot of unpicking and better basting needed.

Quilting is an enjoyable yet frustrating process. Take two.
  • missusP
    missusP Posts: 33
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hello, I'm a self taught sewer. My mum couldn't really sew herself. I learnt machine skills in high school but we were never taught patterns and there was no option to take it at GCSE (I'm a bit younger I suspect) so the rest was self taught. I like to make my own clothes and repair things. I also need to take a lot of store bought stuff up as I have very short legs. I have a Toyata sewing machine. I used to have a lovely brother but it suspiciously ended up on the floor one day when I left the jealous cats alone with it. I live in a small place so my machine can't sit out and I have to clear the table to cut. I tend to hoard fabric and up cycle. I'm thinking of using my husbands old coat to make a thick dungaree dress out of, using all the buttons too. I've had a look at a few patterns so will design my own pattern. I use newspaper or greaseproof paper to draw my patterns on to. I use ready patterns too but I usually have to adjust them being quite petite and wishing my skirt hems to be lower than my knees.
    The best bit about sewing is being able to put pockets in/on everything I make for myself. I just love pockets.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback