PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Comments

• mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    You lot stole my weather! Give it back now!
  • Si_Clist
    Si_Clist Posts: 1,476 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    FWIW our dehydrator consists of a bamboo cane of just the right length to spring across the recess in the chimney-breast, about 10" above the top of the woodburner. Makes first-class apple rings in 6-8 hours at no cost, 'cos the stove's on anyhow.

We did look into "proper" dehydrators a few years ago, but realised that (a) they cost money, (b) they increase clutter when we're forever trying to reduce it and (c) all we'd ever want to dehydrate is apple rings, apples being the only readily-dehydratable crop we're likely to have a surplus of.

For everything else, if it can't be stored like carrots, spuds or onions, it's Kilner jars for us...
    A positive attitude won't solve all your problems, but with luck it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 19 January 2017 at 7:23PM
    Sorry MAR!!! I'll see if I can persuade it to come back home shall I?

Seriously though in this cold old weather I'm glad I've got some old fashioned recipe books and wartime recipe books that have recipes in them that I can make nice warming foods with from what I have in the fridge and cupboard. Today I made some Wartime Oatmeal Soup with a carrot, an onion, a leek and a chunk of swede all softened in a tiny bit of oil and added 1oz of porridge oats and a pint of chicken stock and a bay leaf all of which I had, cooked it for 45 minutes and added 3/4 pint of hot milk and seasoning, it was lovely, so comforting and warming on a cold day and this evening I looked in the fridge and on the veg wrack and found everything I needed for a black pudding hot pot which is in the oven as I type and with it I'll braise some savoy cabbage and steam some green beans over it too. To have a batterie of simple store cupboard recipes under your hand is REALLY USEFUL!!!

If we were confined inside for any amount of time in an emergency situation it's nice to know we'd still be able to make ourselves some tasty food with what we have to hand!
  • Si_Clist
    Si_Clist Posts: 1,476 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    ... Seriously though in this cold old weather I'm glad I've got some old fashioned recipe books and wartime recipe books ...

Same here, and not just when the weather's cold. We gave away all our recipe books a few years back when we realised that (a) we like proper food, and (b) every recipe we're ever likely to need is in our 1961 Good Housekeeping Cookery Compendium, our Farmers Weekly's "Farmhouse Fare" or our small stash of Min of Food and WI booklets.

Anyhow ...

Having got herself a very nice Marks 'n' Sparks winter skirt from the charity shop this morning and ordered some Proper Winter Drawers off the internets, my Lady Wife has just announced that she is now officially Middle Aged :D
    A positive attitude won't solve all your problems, but with luck it'll annoy enough people to make the effort worthwhile.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 19 January 2017 at 7:31PM
    :)Mardatha's more than welcome to the cold weather, I'm wandering around the city with my trapper had on (faux rabbit - very faux) and I'm not the only one wearing such head-gear.

:o Guys, just went into one of my little hidey-holes and found a cache of FB pies. Just when I'd posted a couple of months back that I'd eaten them all, and here's me showing myself up as a fibber. Oh, the shame of it.....!

Ne'mind, that's a few meals sorted, I may have some this weekend.:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Actually, do you think it possible that I only allowed two to escape before and that they've somehow reproduced? We know that odd socks are the larval form of coat hangers and that teaspoons morph into pooter cables overnight (see today's KM thread for this) but has the FB pie got a secret life hitherto unknown to science?

Quick, gimme Mr Attenborough's number, we could do a documentary.

Si Clist, it comes to us all. I'd only just got accustomed to being Middle Aged myself when I realised I'm now only in the middle if I intend to be a centenarian...... :p

Which I'm up for, as I'm getting happier and more carefree with every passing year, if the creaky joints will stand it, I'm be around for a few decades yet.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • There's a lot to be said for middle aged.....I'm 69 tomorrow and keep having the thought of 'How on earth did that happen?' I wonder if I just keep ignoring the years and carry on as normal I can just keep on doing what I do and living as we both want to? Nothing's fallen off yet and everything still works so getting old is for other people we'll just get 'grizzled' and life is still full and fun and fulfilling, can't be bad can it? thermal drawers and all!!! well done Mrs Si Clist!!!
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I'm debating whether to sell my Kenwood Chef. I have a few attachments for it which I don't really use - for example, the mincer is no better than the handcranked one and my food processor (which I use all the time) has a closed bowl so I can use it as a liquidiser.

I know it's supposed to make super cakes etc but I find I get a better 'feel' for the cake mix with a hand held and I'm lucky enough to have one with a more powerful motor than you usually get.

But the prepper in me thinks but, but.....!!:eek: Because it's classic etc Rationally I'm not sure it does earn its keep. What do you lot think?
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,666 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Mardatha, please feel free to have your weather back again...

I also have a l'Equipe dehydrator and use it quite a lot. Apples do indeed get dried, but so do all sorts of things like mango, pineapple, courgettes, peppers, pumpkin, tomatoes and mushrooms that I can often pick up at exceedingly bargainaceous prices down at the market or even get given. And in some things, dried ingredients are even tastier than fresh. It's horses for courses; I've got rid of a number of gadgets that other people might kill for (Kenwoods Chef & Major & a Magimix) because I reckoned they took up space that could be better used, caused as much work as they saved, and did things that I'm perfectly capable of, and actually like, doing by hand, but the dehydrator is one of the few gadgets that I will happily make space for.

ETA: @ maryb - see above! I have never regretted getting shot of them...
    Angie - GC April 24 £432.06/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,661 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    great minds:D
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • Cappella
    Cappella Posts: 748 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hello People. Haven't been here for an age. Wondered what your take was on this?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/01/18/courgette-crisis-consumers-tweet-pictures-empty-supermarket/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure