PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

THE Prepping thread - a new beginning :)

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I was thinking about tea as well - and now olive oil, yes! I'm okay for cooking chocolate. Dried fruit? That mostly comes from overseas .... okey dokey, time for another supermarket shop.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Karmacat wrote: »
    I was thinking about tea as well - and now olive oil, yes! I'm okay for cooking chocolate. Dried fruit? That mostly comes from overseas .... okey dokey, time for another supermarket shop.
    :) And coffee, I don't drink it, but some people lurve the stuff.

Yesterday, I pulled a can of tuna from the stash. I write the purchase date, shop and price on the top in pen. It was purchased in 2012 before they shrank the can size from 185g to 160 g. Winning!

Serously, folks, with inflation and pack shrinkage, there's seldom been a more sensible time to turn cash into shelf-stable groceries.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    edited 30 October 2016 at 10:03AM
    A solar cell phone charger is now on my need to buy list. I still have a landline but the phone depends on electricity.

Of course, a major incident (eg. a countrywide power outage, EMP attack etc.), would take out the mobile phone system too.

A few CB Radios (stored inside Faraday cages) might be a better option, in those kinds of situations.

Likewise, if you can afford it, a 1960s/1970s moped or small motorcycle, would be a handy thing to have around.
    pm0010.jpg

Just make sure to keep a few spares (inner tubes, tyres, points, condensers, 2-stroke oil etc.) on hand, as you might need to rely on it for quite some time.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :D I remember those! I used to ride one (illegally) as a teen when Nan had one. We were a motor-biking family.

A bicycle is an also excellent force-magnifier, in that it enables a person to travel at several times walking speed, and carry loads which would be impossible or onerous, without too much effort.

A foldable bike stashed in a car would enable a person to pedal themselves off if the vehicle became inoperable or blocked in.

Seeing a fair few load-carrying bikes around in my city, as well as bike trailers, including those hauling small children. Useful things, and very money-saving.

A trad coach-built pram was a very useful bit of kit, far handier than modern versions. Mum can remember one of the family house-moves in the 1950s - going from one village to another - involved a fair few things inc the crockery being pram'd from one cottage to another.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • GreyQueen wrote: »
    :D I remember those! I used to ride one (illegally) as a teen when Nan had one.

The advantage of one of those, for those people who can't ride a "real" motorbike, is if you can ride a pushbike, you can ride one of those.

You could keep it permanently SORN'd, and only bring it into use in the event of a serious SHTF/EOTWAWKI situation.

They're also incredibly fuel efficient.
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 30 October 2016 at 11:49AM
    We could do with a list of common imports - especially food.
    The most important long shelf life products for me are:
    Coffee
    Olive oil
    Rice
    Spices
    And wine I guess...

Have already started building up coffee stocks. Money in the bank innit :grin:
  • culpepper
    culpepper Posts: 4,076 Forumite
    We have bikes and a bike trailer . The trailer has only been needed a couple of times when the car has been out but it is handy for carrying heavies.
    For charging I have a pedal charger which you plug a 3 pin plug into and a hand cranked charger with a cigarette socket connector on.
    We've got some solar chargers too that we got for camping and various power banks.
    There is some interesting stuff out there about using old laptop batteries to make new power banks (we have done it).
    I am obsessed with that sort of thing I think LOL
  • GreyQueen wrote: »
    :) I have been considering my stockpiles and have decided to stock up on leaf tea and tea bags (since reading that import costs of tea have gone up 50% recently and this is liable to be passed on to us, shortly).

I will be buying up some olive oil, also, as the harvest was poor and they don't grow it over here. Close attention will be paid to BB dates but both of these products are pretty forgiving.

Grey Queen, I'm so relieved.. The earlier spaghetti hoops were an aberration, I take it.. Even emergencies don't forgive you spag hoops.. :D

My own store cupboard seems to be heavily weighted towards wine, 4 dozen bottles and a 5 litre wine box that cost me nearly 8 quid. It really does need drinking up... I've got 3/4 different olive oils on the go but all getting a bit low, so thanks for the reminder. Oooh, and I'm out of Darjeeling..
  • Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    A few CB Radios (stored inside Faraday cages) might be a better option, in those kinds of situations.

Anybody who has been sailing will tell you that a microwave is a very convenient Faraday cage. You've a great big (normally metal) mast and are a prime target when out at sea for any electrical storm so mobiles, hand held GPS and VHF all get shoved in there.
  • boultdj
    boultdj Posts: 5,312 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    pineapple wrote: »
    We could do with a list of common imports - especially food.
    The most important long shelf life products for me are:
    Coffee
    Olive oil
    Rice
    Spices
    And wine I guess...

Have already started building up coffee stocks. Money in the bank innit :grin:

Don't worry to much about the wine, we are making some decent stuff now in this country, and vine yard's are up as far as yorkshire, and there was a new one planted in the village where I live 5 years ago[derbyshire] like GQ, it's tea and oil I need to stock up on, not just oil for food use but also for my night job, trying to do a massage without oil is not nice for either party, and cat food, the furry owner insit's on eating.........and her teeth are sharper than mine so I tend to do as I'm told......
    £71.93/ £180.00
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport