Prepaid Travel Cards guide

Options

Comments

• HLouiseR
    Options
    I've had the same email too. I'm worried that if I just empty it - that they can charge the fees from the card I topped it up with :(
  • Dulila
    Options
    HLouiseR wrote: »
    I've had the same email too. I'm worried that if I just empty it - that they can charge the fees from the card I topped it up with :(
    Can they do this, unless you signed a direct debit form?
    Am in the same situation and not impressed!
  • Dulila
    Options
    willh254 wrote: »
    I got the same email from UKash. Gave their customer service a ring. They won't waive the cancellation charge but did point out that if you have no balance on the card then they cannot take the fees. They also pointed out that if the card expires then they won't auto renew it. So if you have no money on the card and it expires soon then just wait for it to expire. It won't cost anything.
    If you do have money on the card then you have two months to spend it all before the fees increase.
    Thanks for that information... Is there a withdrawal limit for ATM's?

When I looked at terms and conditions it said they might send a new card even if not requested... Hope that does not apply if the card is empty.
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Options
    Dulila wrote: »
    Can they do this, unless you signed a direct debit form?
    Am in the same situation and not impressed!

No. Any fees will be taken from the balance. No balance, no fee.
  • HLouiseR
    Options
    I tweeted Martin Lewis last night and he has replied - "we're looking at it check the bees section of my site next week"

Not sure what the bees section is though? lol.
  • Les.Clarke
    Options
    Dulila wrote: »
    Thanks for that information... Is there a withdrawal limit for ATM's?

When I looked at terms and conditions it said they might send a new card even if not requested... Hope that does not apply if the card is empty.

I have started withdrawing my Euros in £s today. I was only allowed one withdrawal of £270 from the ATM even though it says in the t & c's that 3 withdrawals a day is allowed. Will carry on withdrawing until card is empty. I'm not going to play their game!
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    (Copied from my post on the main board.)

The balance on most prepaid cards, in pounds, US dollars or euros, can be cleared for free by using Revolut and their smartphone app. I have done this myself. I am not sure if it will work with Ukash because I don't have one to check, but it should work unless the Ukash card is recognised as a credit card by Revolut and declined. Anyway it will cost nothing to try, and (I believe) Revolut is still giving a £5 reward when you sign up using the promo code "MSE" and top up at least £10.

Top up Revolut instantly with your prepaid card, exchange to pounds (if not already) at the interbank rate, then withdraw to your bank account (takes several days). No charges for this, or for obtaining their prepaid MasterCard, which is ideal for travel in place of the Ukash or whatever.

One thing to be aware of when topping up two or three times in succession with a card is that Revolut will block your account as a security measure until you enter the 4-digit code given in the statement of the card account, when it appears. So either clear the whole balance from your Ukash (or other) in one shot, or wait after the first top up until it appears in your statement and then have that code ready.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • Neato
    Neato Posts: 413 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 14 February 2016 at 1:39PM
    Options
    eDicky wrote: »
    (Copied from my post on the main board.)

The balance on most prepaid cards, in pounds, US dollars or euros, can be cleared for free by using Revolut and their smartphone app. I have done this myself. I am not sure if it will work with Ukash because I don't have one to check, but it should work unless the Ukash card is recognised as a credit card by Revolut and declined. Anyway it will cost nothing to try, and (I believe) Revolut is still giving a £5 reward when you sign up using the promo code "MSE" and top up at least £10.

Top up Revolut instantly with your prepaid card, exchange to pounds (if not already) at the interbank rate, then withdraw to your bank account (takes several days). No charges for this, or for obtaining their prepaid MasterCard, which is ideal for travel in place of the Ukash or whatever.

One thing to be aware of when topping up two or three times in succession with a card is that Revolut will block your account as a security measure until you enter the 4-digit code given in the statement of the card account, when it appears. So either clear the whole balance from your Ukash (or other) in one shot, or wait after the first top up until it appears in your statement and then have that code ready.

I tried this. It didn't work for me. The Revolut doesn't like the prepaid Mastercard.
    pegginout wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply, how do I pay my own PayPal account with it please?

This is how I did it.

Login into Paypal, at the top there's an option for 'Send and Request', go to that and then select request money.

You can send the request to any email address (even if it's not setup to use Paypal). Put an email address in that is not linked to your Paypal account (but you have access to), then fill in the amount that's available on your UKASH and choose request money.

It sends a link to that email address. Click on that link and fill in your UKASH card details. It will send the money over to your Paypal account where you will be able to accept it and withdraw to your bank account.
    Overdraft: PAID:D
    OU Course Fees: PAID:D
    :money:Now to save for mortgage... :money:
  • pegginout
    Options
    So is everyone cancelling their cards then?
    I have tried phoning several times but was on hold, will try again Monday.
    I have emailed too but awaiting a reply.
    Absolutely hate the fact I've got to pay to close it :mad::mad::mad:
    :money: Martin Lewis Rocks!:money:
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Options
    pegginout wrote: »
    So is everyone cancelling their cards then?
    I have tried phoning several times but was on hold, will try again Monday.
    I have emailed too but awaiting a reply.
    Absolutely hate the fact I've got to pay to close it :mad::mad::mad:

You don't have to pay to close it. Just withdraw/spend your funds.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback