Brake Discs and Pads

Options
Jonners85
Jonners85 Posts: 121 Forumite
Hi

This Morning, I had the Brake Discs and Pads changed on a 2009 (59) Vauxhall Astra, I supplied the parts from Euro Car Parts, £144~ inclusive of a discount code for Brembo Discs + Pads, for front and rears, so good quality there.

I was charged £80 in labour, is this a fair rate?

I did get a quote from Halfords Autocentre and they originally said £430 but would, do it for £387 after viewing the notes on system. And likely use cheaper parts?

I know £224 all in is way better than £387 but just curious about labour fees that is all.

Thanks

Comments

• Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    £80 is probably 1.5 or 2 hours labour, this is a pretty good rate.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,158 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Jonners85 wrote: »
    Hi

This Morning, I had the Brake Discs and Pads changed on a 2009 (59) Vauxhall Astra, I supplied the parts from Euro Car Parts, £144~ inclusive of a discount code for Brembo Discs + Pads, for front and rears, so good quality there.

I was charged £80 in labour, is this a fair rate?

I did get a quote from Halfords Autocentre and they originally said £430 but would, do it for £387 after viewing the notes on system. And likely use cheaper parts?

I know £224 all in is way better than £387 but just curious about labour fees that is all.

Thanks

I think the price is very fair,as you supplied the parts this only left the labour element of the job for the garage to make any money and £80 is not a lot.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • Jonners85
    Options
    I was there just shy of 2 hours, but they may have only spent 1hr15-30 tops on it. Another Car was in before ours.

I'm not splitting hairs here. They are a trusted Garage, and was just curious. I guess as you say being I supplied my own parts they could hike up the labour charges slightly?
  • caprikid1
    caprikid1 Posts: 2,134 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Not sure why you would supply parts if they are a trusted garage !
  • Jonners85
    Options
    Got them at a cheaper price, they always add a mark up when they order them in, or use the absolute cheapest they can? It makes financial sense for them...

Had it of been a service, well i'd have let them get the required bits and bobs.
  • tykesi
    tykesi Posts: 2,061 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Jonners85 wrote: »
    Got them at a cheaper price, they always add a mark up when they order them in, or use the absolute cheapest they can? It makes financial sense for them...

Had it of been a service, well i'd have let them get the required bits and bobs.

Why? I bet you could get much cheaper filters and oil than they would charge you? What's the fact it's a service got to do with anything?
  • Jonners85
    Options
    General laziness chasing after every last bit (more than buying discs and pads), but come to think it, you're putting idea's in to my head ;)
  • BeenThroughItAll
    Options
    Yeah. Clearly highly trusted if you feel the need to supply your own parts and then ask on a forum if their price was fair.
  • Jonners85
    Options
    I do trust him, I've been there many times, for a Cambelt & Water Pump change, Servicing, MOT's

And guess what? I allowed him to supply the applicable parts on those occasions.

Just thought i'd try things differently this time, I only asked what others thought about labour charges that's all. Not expecting them to be so far up themselves!

Jeez :(

But thanks anyhow!
  • Mr.Generous
    Mr.Generous Posts: 3,377 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Excellent price for Brembo pads and disks fitted IMO, well done.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure