Living richly; simply and debt-freely

Comments

• rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,529 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    You're not trying to tell me that I've got to be prepared for visitors at all times, have the best china washed and polished and put a brush through me hair every time i log on, are you?

Greying X

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

...brush through hair is both overrated & highly optional!!!!!
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • Good Evening :hello:

Have I got to say who I'm sponsored by as I sit here? You know, like in them glossy mags?

Hair - optionalbrush

Makeup - carbolic soap

Trousers - walking

Socks - hiking

Fleece - rEcycled p0p bottles ....................

Anyhoo, on to important matters. What we had for us tea :D

I made the bean soup that I mentioned. It came from the vegetarian student cookbook. I had forgotten that in the book, they had teamed it with scones. I don't automatically think of doing scones with soup, because I wouldn't have the oven on. But I have done it before - pretty sure i made red pepper/black olive scones to go with Jack's feisty soup one time. Anyway, I decided to do flatbreads (inspired by EssexHebridean), which half way through making I decided to do as 'stuffed' flatbreads, as I had a bit of auld lentil dhal kicking about. Mmmmm. I suspect I could sell the resultant glue to nasa to stick their astronauts to robotic arms when they go a-wandering outside of the capsule :rotfl:As I wasn't following a recipe, I made 2 flatbreads (I'd been ambitiously aiming for 4, but quit whilst I could still hold things and then let them go......:rotfl:) in 2 different ways. I did the first one trying to wrap the dough around the dhal. When it all oozed out everywhere, I just smushed it (tech. term) into the other flatbread and rolled and re-smushed (advanced tech. term) it at every opportunity until it t'were vaguely round. The second one, I rolled out two circles of dough and put a blob of dhal in the middle and rolled them together. The dhal oozed out of the sides, middle and everywhere, so I rolled and re-smushed it until I had a vaguely round bread.

Possibly my dhal was too wet. Possibly I ought to follow a recipe for stuffed flatbreads, rather than winging it all the while.......... The resultant flatbread was a bit yummy though - quite flaky, from all the smushing I suppose, and I used up some of the remaining oil out of the mrL antipasti that I had in the fridge, to fry them in - which added flavour (I think the jar had had peppers in it).

The recipe for the soup is HERE the recipe for the flatbreads shall be attributed to no-one, because by rights, the dough should have ended up in the bin! As it is, I shall continue to scrape dough off my countertop and rolling pin for weeks, oh yes I shall :rotfl:Picture (of tea, not dough encrusted countertops) here;

143_zpssarur8vr.jpg

The cannellini beans were something like 3 for £1 from b&em the other week. The peas and beans were frozen. Veg from stores, veg stockpot from the bargain boxes I got from h3ron the other week (3 for £1), tomato puree from h0me bargins.

A very nice, very filling tea.

Today I am grateful for these 3 things;

this online community

email

kindness

Ta for popping in, reading and supporting me. Mucho, mucho appreciated.

Greying X - exiting stage left, sashaying in ruby red slippers; wearing scent of this season's garlic; jewellery by flour&water............ :rotfl:
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £2/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £176.38/215
    Non-food household spend April £25.94/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Knitted items for charity 1/24 (inc. Blankets 1/6)
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,691 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Ooh, never thought to stuff flatbreads before Greying, what an interesting (and messy...) idea! :D Glad fame hasn't gone to your head yet and you're still letting us know what you had for tea :D

In the interests of transparency I had a cheap frozen pizza :o In my defence, (not that I need one :P ) I didn't get in from work til 7.30 and Mr Cheery has been busy all day so there was no tea... Pizza was pretty tasty actually :D

Ooh, I meant to say I bought some spicy potato wedges from the supermarket the other day - they were very tasty actually and FAR more successful than any I've ever managed in this ancient oven or the even-more-ancient oven before it :j :j So thanks for the suggestion :D
  • EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,345 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    well my flatbreads are not from any recipe whatsoever - they generally consist of "some" flour and a "dollop of" plain yogurt and a pinch of salt. I can rarely be bothered using a rolling pin either so usually end up just flattening them out by hand to whatever shape they fancy! :rotfl:

Looking forward to the email now to see what your tip is! :T
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • Greying_Pilgrim
    Greying_Pilgrim Posts: 5,418 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 25 October 2016 at 10:16PM
    Glad fame hasn't gone to your head yet and you're still letting us know what you had for tea :D

:rotfl::rotfl:I can't imagine it will love, think I'm gonna slink back into the periphery. I likes it in the periphery :D
    In the interests of transparency

Good gal! Holding up the values and standards of the thread! :T
    Ooh, I meant to say I bought some spicy potato wedges from the supermarket the other day - they were very tasty actually

Yep, I must concur, the ones that I got from mrL were pretty good for the money, and certainly the tastiest 'processed' potato I have ever had. The more expensive brands could learn a thing or two..... :whistle: Although I remain unconvinced about the fish finger-like coating........ EDIT: And of course it was rtandon that put me onto those wedges in the first place :D I'd not seen them, and I've not tried h3ron's version.

Looking forward to the email now to see what your tip is! :T

Oh right, I see what you mean now. Oh, me too, me too :j - I didn't know i ever gave any tips out, I just waffle on a bit........ :rotfl:

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,529 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    ooooo GP - will you still remember us once yer famous?

;););)
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • rtandon27 wrote: »
    ooooo GP - will you still remember us once yer famous?

;););)

*snort* :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

• Lawks! How not to live your life, by Greying Pilgrim, aged *I ain't telling* & 3 quarters :rotfl:

I don't know what it means, but thank you.........

You're in Martin's Money Tips weekly email :money:congratualtions-smiley.gif?1292867575
    It's just appeared although it's dated tomorrow. Your thread is Debt Free Wannabe Chat of the Week clap-smiley.gif?1292867569
  • And about time too. Worthy recognition.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83:eek: today £0 Emergency fund £5.5/5.5k & £200/200 cash.:jWeight 24/02/19 14st 7lb now 11st11lb determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes. Progress not perfection.:T100%through my 1% mortgage challenge. 40.25% through my pb challenge.
  • Good Morning :cool:

As you can see, i'm being a right *celebritee*, and wearing my sunglasses inside :rotfl::rotfl:

Thank you for all your kind wishes, but ooof, 89 pages? And so much has changed. Perhaps I should have started a new diary when Baby Greying came along. Anyhoo, I'm very much of the opinion that without wonderful contributions from 'You Lovely Lot', there would be no diary, so thank YOU :T:D

We're sat here, washed, dressed, hair-brushed, teeth cleaned :D Ready to see what the day has in store for us :D

We need to go up the high street to deposit a cheque, so we'll pick up the TV listing guide at the same time. Baby Greying needs a couple of bits and bobs, but there is a separate budget for that, rather than out of the food budget.

The meal-planner for Wednesday is 'something with rice'. I was going to have a switcheroo around to avoid having pumpkin twice in succession, but I think that I'll revert back, and have black bean and pumpkin chilli with rice tonight, and leave the 'new recipe' bake until next Monday (and have the 'from the freezer' on Sunday night). I must get the black beans on to soak as soon as I'm done here. Oh, and find the blessed recipe - not sure where I got it from to write on the list - doh! :doh:

Right, shifting a tail feather, and going to seize the day.

Ta for popping in, reading and being so kind and supportive. It's greatly appreciated. Always.

Greying X

Bulk Fund April 0/£10

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure