PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Milton Sterilising fluid

Comments

• Own_My_Own
    Own_My_Own Posts: 6,098 Forumite
    Xmas Saver!
    I put one tablet down our toilet once a week. Always comes up sparkling clean. Even the bends that are hard to reach with the brush.
  • I use Milton to get the green algae which builds up out of guinea pigs' water bottles. I have also used it in the past to get mildew out of a bathroom blind and to get sun cream stains off a white top. All by just soaking for a bit in a Milton solution. I love the smell of Milton :).

Guineapigsqueaks x

Keep Smiling :)
  • HeadAboveWater
    HeadAboveWater Posts: 3,941 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Own_My_Own wrote: »
    I put one tablet down our toilet once a week. Always comes up sparkling clean. Even the bends that are hard to reach with the brush.

Thanks for that!

Good thread! Just got the Boots brand tablets the other day for something else, and was wondering what else I could use them for.
    Wealth is what you're left with when all your money runs out
  • pinkmami
    pinkmami Posts: 1,110 Forumite
    Thanks for reviving this. I've never used Milton before - though mum did (before the days of electrical baby sterilisation!!)

Might buy a bottle now instead of anti-bac spray for the kitchen.
  • Josslette
    Josslette Posts: 554 Forumite
    I use Milton to get the green algae which builds up out of guinea pigs' water bottles. I have also used it in the past to get mildew out of a bathroom blind and to get sun cream stains off a white top. All by just soaking for a bit in a Milton solution. I love the smell of Milton :).

Guineapigsqueaks x

Thanks for that tip our guineas water bottle has been looking a bit grotty for a while even after scrubbing with a bottle brush.

We use Milton at work for sterilising the dish clothes, but we also use it to soak the white chopping boards after they have been used, due to tomatoes and peppers leaving such bad red/orange stains!
    September Grocery Challenge £0/£225
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I buy second hand toys for my son. I use it to soak them in (providing they are all plastic) if not I just wipe with a cloth that has been soaked in it . All lego/playmobil gets soaked before giving to him.

I have also used them for soaking tea stains off teaspoons, getting rid of burnt on food from saucepans.

I don't buy milton, I always get the shops own brand.
  • honeythewitch
    honeythewitch Posts: 1,094 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I am a bit confused. What is the advantage of using Milton instead of cheap bleach?
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I am a bit confused. What is the advantage of using Milton instead of cheap bleach?

56 tablets from tesco are 73p they last me ages.
  • I am a bit confused. What is the advantage of using Milton instead of cheap bleach?

To quote from Milton website regarding difference between Milton and bleach:

"Bleach is an irritant and can burn the skin and corrode materials. Swallowing bleach can seriously harm human health and absolutely cannot be used to sterilise baby’s bottles or accessories.

Milton is non-corrosive and doesn’t cause irritation. It does not burn the skin, and can be used as an antiseptic in certain dilutions.

The Milton Method can also be used to treat water to make it safe to drink".

Guineapigsqueaks x

Keep Smiling :)
  • Sylvan wrote: »
    Went looking for it yesterday and neither the bottles nor the tablets give any instructions for using it to make water safe.
    There's a warning on the bottle saying it's highly dangerous and should not be ingested.

Does anyone know?
    MrsE wrote: »
    So how can you use Milton to make suspect water safe to drink, but you couldn't use bleach?

The reason bleach is a bad idea for drinking water is all the other stuff, especially detergents that are added to bleach. Milton on the other hand contains only sodium hypochlorite and sodium chloride in solution, as such it is not too bad to ingest. See what if baby swallows some on their FAQs milton-tm. com/en/consumer/faqs

Furthermore a large number of water purification tablets in fact contain sodium hypochlorite as the active ingredient, yes the same stuff as in Milton...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure