Cash limit

Options
Hello. I have been trying to find a simple, straightforward answer to this question: how large does a cash transaction have to be before alarm bells start ringing and the shop in question has to report it? All I hear about is 'money laundering', and laundered money being used to fund terrorism etc, which I think we all know in 99.99% of cases is nonsense. The sum I'm thinking of is about £3,500.

Comments

• jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,619 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I guess it depends on the shop and type of transaction. I think you're probably a bit out on the numbers though, I'd suspect that money laundering would be a lot more than 0.01% of all large cash transactions
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,034 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hello. I have been trying to find a simple, straightforward answer to this question: how large does a cash transaction have to be before alarm bells start ringing and the shop in question has to report it?
    There isn't a simple straightforward answer to that question - apart from anything else it would be somewhat self-defeating if there was a published/known limit of £x if it just triggered a plethora of dodgy transactions at £x-1!

Why would you want to use cash for such a high-value transaction, and (in your view) is it the norm for the type of purchase you're making?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure