PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

OS ways and Poor Health

Options

Comments

• Larumbelle
    Options
    Also I forgot to mention before, most of the energy suppliers have their Warm Home applications opening at the moment - a lot of posters (and lurkers) are probably eligible, so take a look and see if you are, it all helps!

https://www.gov.uk/the-warm-home-discount-scheme
  • pollyanna_26
    Options
    Thanks Larumbelle - You've summed up exactly what I was trying to say but as usual far more elegantly :rotfl: I meant to mention family and friends but the memory failed me .
    TMD - If you haven't started on the throws let it go for today :D
    polly
    It is better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness.

There but for fortune go you and I.
  • Toomuchdebt
    Options
    I have sent in my application for the warm home discount already after seeing it mentioned elsewhere.
    I am waiting for an appointment at pain clinic(it's been 2 months so far).
    I am seeing my GP next month on the 6th so will hang on till then.
    I need to do those throws because the dog likes to sleep on the sofas and they smell.I'm going to do one at least where the dog isn't sat right now.
    Debts Jan 2014 £20,108.34 :eek:

EF #70 £0/£1000

SW 1st 4lbs
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    TMD sweetie, I can't think of anything the others haven't already said, but look, have a virtual Wolfy (((HUG))). Not a vast amount of help in the grand scheme of things I know, but maybe it'll assure you of moral support from over here in Concrete Cow Country. :o
    monnagran wrote: »
    Can I also back up what LW says about FlyLady. I would suggest you go on to her FlyLady.net site. Sorry I don't do links. I still look at her "Sneak Peeks for the Week", a ten minute job to do on every day.
    I started by reading her book, Sink Reflections. I found it made perfect sense, if a bit twee in places. The FlyLady thread here frightened me to death but FlyLady's own site is much more understandable.
    What Ho, Monna :hello: It just shows, it's "horses for courses" eh? I balked at the Flylady.net site when I got to the bit about dressing right down to lace-up shoes - I don't wear shoes, slippers or any other form of footwear unless I absolutely have to, and never indoors at home; but I do contribute regularly on the Flylady thread here - and I never follow the lists, I always Fly "off piste" as my health allows. :o

I read the posts mentioning Dycem with interest; you all seem to have got it from the OT - is it available to buy commercially, does anyone know? :o

Anyways - my original reason for coming onto the thread - I thought of a tip I use to combat the dreaded brainfog:
    Leave visual "clues" for yourself - for instance, if I want to kick the washing off in the morning, I load up the machine at night, as my hands are total carp first thing. But I'm likely to forget all about it by morning. So I put the powder in, but leave the limescale-eating tablet on the work surface over the machine, so that I'll see it and go "oh yes, I need to do washing".
    I put things to take with me into town - eg a bag of used batteries to take for recycling - by the front door.
    If I need to remember to make a cake tomorrow, I put the baking tin out on the work surface.
    That sort of thing. :o Just remember to tell your Significant Other if you have one, lest they think you're just being untidy and put it away again. :D
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Larumbelle
    Options
    Pollyanna, you are too kind ;)

I read about the dycem with interest, I don't need it but it looks like it might be useful for my mum, so thank you :) Which reminds me, have you heard of Sugru? It can be really useful for making grips, handles etc. It comes in little sachets and is almost like playdoh when you buy it, you mould it how you want then 24 hours later it cures to rubber. It's heat, cold and moisture resistant. I used it to adapt all kinds of thinks for my mum. It is quite pricy unfortunately, but worth it IMHO. Wilko's is about the cheapest I've seen it. Once you've bought it, keep unopened sachets in the fridge as it can go off over time - refrigeration extends its life (the same goes for superglue if that helps anyone LOL). Their website is here if anyone is interested: https://sugru.com/
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks for that Larumbelle. I don't know of a Wilko near here, but I've bookmarked the site for later perusal. ;)
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • westcoastscot
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    TMD I would echo other's thoughts here - please go back to your gp as talking therapies can help. We also have services in Scotland like homestart which can assist when a family is needing a little help - do you have anything like that?
    Lamewolf you can purchase dycem on amazon, by the roll!! how great is that?? So many other uses mentioned I think i'll buy a roll to save moving the bits I have around
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone

((( hugs))) TMD. As everyone else has advised , go back to your GP and ask for help. It's no wonder you are in such a state at the moment, you are having to come to terms with a chronic illness which is life changing. You have had to deal with an ex. debts, and now your rock is away.

As already been said, you are at rock bottom. There's only one way out , that's climb to the top. You are making a start. You are reaching out to us. So keep posting away. Please xxx

Anyways I myself am in good form today so I've managed to catch up on a few chores today that have needed doing for months. And I really don't hurt. Sure I ache but don't actually hurt. There again the weather is dry and fresh

Talking about things we do as matter of fact for so long, I was mashing the spuds earlier ( usually DH does it but he was still at work) and as I've so little strength in my arms, I just put the saucepan on a tea towel on a kitchen chair so I've my body weight behind me

It was my darling aunt who showed me that trick. Mid 70's she had a double mastectomy so had no strength at all , she always put the pan on the floor

I also mix pastry and cakes my putting the bowl in the sink Just doesn't put so much strain around the neck and shoulders somehow
  • monnagran
    monnagran Posts: 5,284 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Suki, I am perfectly able bodied - well, able-ish, and I always put bowls in the sink to deal with. I am 5ft 2ins and find most kitchen counters too high for me to work on. Also, when you are making pastry, beating eggs or mashing things, it is easier to clean up splashes and spills.

TMD. Oh teenagers! I feel your pain. My eldest DS is adopted and when he was a teenager I used to fantasise that his birth mother would turn up and demand her child back. I'd have had his bags packed in less time than it takes to say it. He is 47 now and we get along just fine but there are things I wish I had known then. One of them is the phrase I heard Judge Judy use, (I lead a fairly decadent life) "As long as you are living under my roof I own the air you breathe." I bet that might come in useful to you.
    Another is to take the attitude of complete univolvement in their lives. " You've lost your bus money? Oh dear, poor you." end of conversation. "Your PE kit isn't washed? Did you forget to put it in the washing basket? Oh dear, poor you."
    "You need £10 to go to the concert? How are you going to earn that? You can't go then? Oh dear, poor you."

Oh yes, things would be different the second time round.

Try to conserve your energy by refusing to get involved in their dramas.

As to clutter, it all looks a sight better if it is in neat piles. If you can get stuff into a box all the better but a neat pile will do. When you can manage it, a feathery duster whisked over and around the piles makes you feel more in control.
    Lastly, its FlyLady again. An empty shiny sink makes a kitchen look and feel better.

I don't know if any of this is helpful.

x
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hello everyone, I popped in to say hello while I was away on hols, but hate typing on tablet, so now back home and lap top at the ready.

I have several health issues resulting in degrees of fatique and a lot of pain and stiffness in hands, legs, feet and back, thank goodness I have less really bad days than OK or quite good ones:)

So many great tips on here, some I already find helpful and lots of new things to try, thank you for them all.

With regard to Flylady, I looked at it, but there was no way, even on a good day that I would be able to get anywhere near to completing the tasks, but I had noticed several people on the diaries who picked out a few things to do regularly in order to stop the house turning into a complete tip and some of those I have nicked. I may have got the names wrong, but this is what helps me without being too overwhelmed.

5 minute room rescue - spending 5 minutes tidying.
    Swishing the sinks and wiping the loos.
    Treasure Hunt - each time I enter a room and see something in the wrong place try to return it to it's home.
    Cleaning, laundry sorting, putting away - do 15 minute bursts, may be several in a day, may just manage one.
    Do something while the kettle boils.
    Put junk/unwanted mail straight into the recycle box.

Sadly there are days or spells of days when little happens, but on the whole it keeps the house reasonably sanitary.:):)

TMD hang on in there, as others have said it is early days in respect of your diagnosis, medication, and the empty nest syndrome is flattening lots of people at the moment and you have even more reason to miss your wonderfully supportive daughter.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure