Amazon return problems

Options
Purchased a double bed set from an amazon marketplace seller.
Item arrived and a king size had been sent.
I contacted seller who has been less than helpful at first telling me if I want to keep it that's fine then when I explained I had no need for a king size set I was offered a 25% discount to keep it.
I explained I needed a double and so was told if I sent the king size back it would be exchanged for a double.
I have received a return at amazon email to print the return label.
The label just has the name and address for return does the return postage costs get refunded once the item is returned or do I need to cover the return costs ?

Comments

• robatwork
    robatwork Posts: 7,090 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_left_v4_sib?ie=UTF8&nodeId=201819160

The label should contain postage too - presume it's got some sort of postage details and barcode rather than just address?

Bear in mind the above says check the seller's return policy, but nothing in that overrides your rights in law. Which was to get what you bargained for. You didn't, and THEY have to pay returns costs.
  • F&L
    F&L Posts: 570 Forumite
    Options
    The label does not have to contain postage as Amazon allows sellers to provide labels with and without postage. It looks like the seller has accepted the return but provided a label with no postage. This is totally unsuitable for a large item that will need to returned via a courier.

You need to contact the seller again and ask for them to arrange collection of the item. If the seller won't do so then contact Amazon directly as they are very helpful over the phone.
  • RFW
    RFW Posts: 10,020 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    F&L wrote: »
    You need to contact the seller again and ask for them to arrange collection of the item. If the seller won't do so then contact Amazon directly as they are very helpful over the phone.
    I'd go straight to Amazon at this stage.

If OP wants to try again with the seller then ask for them to have the item collected and send a replacement.

Amazon will most likely issue a full refund and let OP keep the item.

Some marketplace sellers give the rest of us a bad name. I'd have sent the right item straight away with a return pack to drop off at a courier drop off point or post office.
  • allison445
    Options
    Thanks now sorted seller has refunded and will refund the return postage when they receive the item back.
  • F&L
    F&L Posts: 570 Forumite
    Options
    Hopefully the seller will refund you your return postage but there are bad sellers who do not. They could for instance claim the item has been returned damaged and therefore they won't refund the postage. Amazon can't force a seller to refund more than the original order amount although they can give a goodwill credit. The way your seller handled this initially would have meant I would have insisted on it being collected at their cost.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure