The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Help Teaching Assistant Interview and haven't got a clue what is expected!

Comments

• u_r
    u_r Posts: 115 Forumite
    missymoo

i got a TA job without working in schools prior to that.
    something I was asked were case scenarios:one I remember:

someone phones up saying they are the police and want a certain childs address and details wot aud you do???Ans, every Police officer has a unique ID number(on shoulder) I would ask for that plus name and also say can I take your number so I could call u back with the info.(that will gimme extra time to do the checks like calling police station and enquiring if officer number is genuine for data protection). however I will try my best to address the issue asap as this caller could well be genuine and e could be handling a child protection case.

why do you want to work here?(check school website and offsite inspection report, find out about the community it is serving).

what are your strengths? pick somethings from home life, vlntary , previous jobs and link them to what a TA role would be about.examples language skills, supprting elderly and disables(empathy) etc)

where do you se yourself in a few years time??

good luck and when is the interview!!!!!!!!
  • missymoo81
    missymoo81 Posts: 7,695
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Thanks my lovelies, the interview is 1pm Wednesday!!!!!!

have just read up on ADHD, Autism and Asbergers. Feel a lot more informed now thankyou. Very scary wanting something so much though.
  • missymoo81
    Forumite
    I'm having problems answering a couple of questions I've set for myself:

What would you do if a child told you they were being bullied:

What would you do if you saw a child being bullied:

What would you do if a child told you he/she was being abused and told you not to tell anyone

what would you do if you suspected a child was being abused:

ANy help on the answers would be really helpful.... am at a bit of a loss on what to give as a good answer.

fanx muchly xx
  • Gleeful
    Gleeful Posts: 1,979 Forumite
    missymoo81 wrote: »

What would you do if a child told you he/she was being abused and told you not to tell anyone

Tell them you can't guarantee confidentiality and that you will need to pass the information on to the designated CP person.

Do reassure them that you are listening, but do not ask searching questions. Let them tell you, don't try and suggest what happened.
  • missymoo81
    Forumite
    thanks gleeful its a difficult situation to try and come up with an answer for isnt it. x
  • missymoo81
    Forumite
    have just had my programme though and i have to do an activity for 25mins with the children!! I have no idea what this will be? Any ideas??
  • vixtay_2
    vixtay_2 Posts: 78 Forumite
    have just had my programme though and i have to do an activity for 25mins with the children!! I have no idea what this will be? Any ideas??
    Try this little exercise
    This activity is ideal for the start of the year when you want to get to know the class more, although it can be used at any time of the year.
    1) Ask the children to write a short description of themselves. These should only consist of a few sentences outlining who they are and what they like to do. They should NOT write their name in these descriptions.
    2) When everyone has finished, collect in the work, and read out the descriptions to the class. Do not reveal who wrote each description.
    3) While you are reading, the class should listen carefully, and try to work out who wrote each description (this can be done individually or in small groups).
    4) Reveal the writers of each description, and ask the children if they were correct.
    25 mins should cover it
    :rotfl:
  • missymoo81
    Forumite
    Vixtay what a brilliant idea, thank you so much. x
  • missymoo81
    Forumite
    oooh weanie for some reason i managed to miss your post, thank you so much, it is very informative! x
  • vixtay_2
    vixtay_2 Posts: 78 Forumite
    Vixtay what a brilliant idea, thank you so much. x

Your very welcome hun....
    It's a good lesson,iv done it with the year 7's.... it's a good ''ice breaker'' lesson...The teacher observing you should like it too.....
    Pm me tomorrow with how you get on...and i'm sure you will hear by the end of the day.....iv always had a phone call one way or the other xx:beer:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure