PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

October 2008 Grocery Challenge. Please read first two posts.

Options

Comments

• SparciaM
    SparciaM Posts: 586 Forumite
    Options
    I set myself a budget of £300 for all my food for this month (well 10th Sep - 10th Oct), as that is my paydays. I went over this budget by £20 (as I'm all bought up until Friday now).

Thing is, I get really stuck for food ideas, how to shop, what to buy etc.

Anyone give help, on how to make good lunches and dinner without getting bored, spending money and actually sticking to it.

I try every month and this month was the closest to £300 I got, but I see that people spend way less than myself. I'm a single person, so I'm sure I could cut this £300 budget down.

I think the downfall is lunches, as what to have etc - as I usually end up getting a boots meal deal for £3.
  • dink1
    dink1 Posts: 197 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Guys,
    Went to Mr T’s today and spent £7.16 on essentials, milk etc, we seem to be getting through loads a weeks (well over 12 pints!):eek:
    RosieBen – Thanks I will cook it like chicken then, never had rabbit before so not too sure of what it will taste like but it was cheap and I thought I would give it a go.
    Pinkwinged – Hi thanks for the recipes will let you know how they go.

Dink1
    JanGC £250/£82 far:weight loss 1lb cc250/£86/cm40/£9.50 :A
  • Pink.
    Pink. Posts: 17,675 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi Sparcia,

This thread should help with lunches:

Lunch for work (merged threads)

And these threads should give you some ideas for cheaper meals:

Cheapest recipes???

Meal for two for 50p. Suggestions?

The Cheapest Healthy Meal Ever!

Feed 6 for £1.62

Cheapest meal

Your Cheapest Evening Meal.

cheap, easy family meals

Show Jamie How To Cook On A Budget Champagne Contest

Meal idea's under £1

I'll add your post to the Grocery Challenge where you should get lots of encouragement and support in helping you stick to your budget.

Pink
  • Natty68
    Natty68 Posts: 3,336 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mrs M can you put me down for £250.00 for October please..

So far I have spent £30.05 in Asda, and £12.56 in Aldi on Saturday. NSD today hopefully :)
    Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
    Declutter challenge 2023, 2024 🏅 🏅⭐️⭐️
    DH declutter challenge award 🏅⭐️
  • jackie_w
    jackie_w Posts: 1,077 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi everyone,

havent posted for a few days, so, thought I would today.

Have had a couple of shops, so, ive updated my total accordingly. Freezer is full, so, at the moment, I cant buy in loads of butcher meat.

Im looking for ideas on stuff for giving out to the kids at Halloween. I always end up spending a fortune, and was wondering what everyone else does. Cant have any nuts in the house, as DS#2 is allergic to them.

Off now to catch up on all the other threads.

Jackie
  • scotsaver
    scotsaver Posts: 824 Forumite
    Options
    Afternoon everyone - logging on again to update my spends in Asda this morning, ending up spending £40.23, didn't think I'd spend that much but needed Water Filter, Contact Lens Solution, shower gel, shampoo & conditoner etc etc so it soon adds up.:mad: Still on target for the 27th as only 2 more weekly shops until then and as I've meal planned should only need to top up now with F&V and milk.;)

While I was in Asda picked up "seriously strong" cheese, half price at £2 for 400g so stashed 2 packs away in the freezer as got enough cheese in the fridge at the moment.:D

Have just been out in the garden, picked a load more Raspberries which are still doing really well so shall make a sauce after School Run and pour over some Natural Yoghurt for "giant corner yoghurts" for tonights pudding, should be nice and refreshing after the Curry I'm planning.:p

Enjoy the rest of the day everyone.:D
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• Money_saving_Diva_2
    Options
    Hi all

Had a traumatic weekend with my computer imploding on me and a fox throwing itself in front of the car and making it die on us too. (the fox AND the car)

Anyway, popped in to update my siggy and to say that we bought grated cheese from tescos as it was cheaper than any of the blocks they had available that day and that it is really tasty once its been out of the fridge for about half an hour. My OH is also using a lot less cheese in his sandwiches too which is a bonus. Was sad to see that Hovis bread mixes in Tescos are back up to 75p.

Hope everyone is doing well with their personal challenges this month!

hugs to all

Diva.x
    To be frugal, you need to spend money wisely, simply spending less is not enough.
    If you can't handle me at my worst then you don't deserve me at my best...
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I will try again tomorrow.
  • OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    MrsM
    Can I please be WITHDRAWN from this months challenge (and probably future ones too unless I post otherwise- at least from counting totals and posting exact figures anyway!)
    I will still be reading the thread and learning (no doubt) but just don't have the time to count every spend and write it all down anymore, with lively DS, dodgy back amongst other things. I am back to doing what I did before (setting my monthly budget and then making sure I don't go over it most of the time!).
    Thanks for ALL your help everybody, and in particular MrsM, angelnikki, DeniseFowler, Pink-Winged, Rosieben, greent (and probably other lovelies I have forgotten :o).
    Don't worry I am still an old styler- you have not gotten rid of me completely :D:D
    x OS
    PS Tesco has cooking apples on BOGOF- so instead of counting my spends I will be peeling apples lol!
    (BigBird, did you ever make apple crisps- was it you who did potato peeling ones ?) x
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• OrkneyStar
    OrkneyStar Posts: 7,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks Pink,
    I was kind of hoping to do exactly as you describe- popping on, reading posts (maybe even posting a few ;)) but was not sure how this would sit without me actually posting totals ?
    It really is a time thing- DS is only young once and TBH I spend too much time counting this and that (and then posting it on signature etc), as long as we are within our budget then thats enough for me from now on :).
    Also I do get tired easily these days (I think it is largely my recurring back pain which I have suffered from for a while now- it really drains me some days!) so am trying to direct the energy I do have to cooking, baking, chores, DS & DH, having some fun and relaxation and less on comp and counting numbers iykwim.
    So I will be around, just not so much and maybe not quite so strict on myself.
    X
    PS Well done you on the holiday thing- that is my aim too, to save money on groceries (and other stuff) so we can have a family holiday- maybe with DG (grannie) if she is up for it!
    (PPS You may blow this post up any time ;):D)
    Ermutigung wirkt immer besser als Verurteilung.
    Encouragement always works better than judgement.

• Flylady_Flower
    Options
    Orkney Star, I second what Pink said, please keep in touch - You are such a valuable part of this challenge and will be missed. I have not been on here much lately myself (mainly because you know I can rabbit for England :D ) but still pop in now and again, and try to update when I can, and although you don't have to update - still pop in when you can, I will miss reading your upbeat posts otherwise... Hope you are OK and it is nothing else, take care honey...;)

EDIT: Ohh, nearly forgot with all the rabbitting... actually spent some money today so need to update. Went into Farmfoods for 8 ltrs milk (£1 for 2 ltrs) 2 x 100 Typoo teabags for £1.50 (95p each), Kingsmill bread x 95p plus some other bits and spent £16.87 in all. will update siggy in a bit
    LBM April 2013 - £29,000.00
    Vanquis CC's PAID - Debenhams SC PAID - A+L OD PAID - Asda CC £783.75
    Barclaycard CC £1400.78 - BoS CC PAID - Freemans Cat PAID
    F/D Loan & CC £1458.96 - Santander Loan PAID - Mum Loan PAID
    RBS OD PAID - F/D OD £1026.52
    Weekly Grocery Challenge - £95.00 budget / spend £-
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income