Do I need car insurance if car off road??

Hi
My query is do we need to have car insurance if the car is going to be kept in a garage and not used?

My husband is going away for 6mths so the car will be left in the garage with tyres taken off! Allthough it still has full MOT we have declared it SORN and the insurance is due to run out next month.

We live on an Army base, so theft should be ruled out! So it would only be fire that could damage it??

What do we do?
Many thanks

Comments

• stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Legally no, you don't need insurance. But keeping a car off the road for 6 months isn't ideal for the car itself!
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • Mum22
    Mum22 Posts: 57 Forumite
    Is it best to take the car of the wheels and put up on ramps, and turn over every few weeks??What should we do with it??
  • Sandoval
    Sandoval Posts: 903 Forumite
    Mum22 wrote: »
    Is it best to take the car of the wheels and put up on ramps, and turn over every few weeks??What should we do with it??
    Got visions of someone tipping a car upside down every couple of weeks like something in a microwave...
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Mum22 wrote: »
    That sounds like a plan. Make sure it is cleaned all over as best you can before it is put up, use WD45 on all the moving parts to protect them as best you can. Keep the garage dry and dehumidify it if you can. I'm no expert though, you might find some more tips on the web.
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • best to take out third party fire and theft. if you can prove the insurance that it's going to be locked and secure it might bring the
    price down of the premiums (unlikely unless it's an expensive car) or add it to house insurance.

insurance would cover theft/fire if the veh is SORN as long as you won't using it on the road.
  • slinga
    slinga Posts: 1,485 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I spend 6 months here and 6 months there.
    In both places my cars are left out in the weather on their wheels, insured in both places but not road taxed in UK.

Never had a problem with the cars.
    I do disconect the battery but when re connected both cars have always started first turnover.
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,684 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    It is not good for any engine to run for short periods and I would avoid turning it over every two weeks. You might want to disconnect or invest in a trickle charger to maintain the battery in good condition. You might want to change the oil and filter before you garage the car. Jacking it up is good practice, but I would not bother. Make sure you give it a good clean inside and out.

In your situation I would take a (slim) chance and save money on the insurance.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • pixie76
    pixie76 Posts: 1,489 Forumite
    If it's in a garage for that time you do not need to insure however you should start it and let the engine run on a regular basis.
    ٩(•̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃-̃)۶ ٩(●̮̮̃•̃)۶ ٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶ ٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶ :EasterBun
  • Valli
    Valli Posts: 24,760 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    reading this thread makes me wonder why some enterprising insurance company doesn't have a SORN insurance policy to offer...in other words if the car is declared SORN then just a 'theft and damage' policy?

and it was MY idea and I claim ownership of it! ;)
    Don't put it DOWN; put it AWAY
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    :heart:Janice 1964-2016:heart:

Thank you Honey Bear
  • Keith
    Keith Posts: 2,924 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    pixie76 wrote: »
    If it's in a garage for that time you do not need to insure however you should start it and let the engine run on a regular basis.

No you shouldn't. That's the worst thing you can do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure