Sky+ HD/Sky Q options help.

124»

Comments

• teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Gavgooner wrote: »
    It will cost me £297 for skyQ for 3 boxes! For a new customer it would cost £159! Also they could get a £25 voucher! Looks like I will have to cancel & join as new customer!

How will you get around not being considered to be a new customer until you have been away for 12 months ?
  • Boohoo
    Boohoo Posts: 1,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    After having my tv turned on yesterday i thought i would have a go at getting multiroom added.
    Went onto chat and explained and the person said that it would cost £60 setup, £12 a month and i gett all these great things i can do with it and its reduced from £199 a bargain.
    I said i want Sky + HD box added to my one box i have and the reply all about Q.
    Explained i have a box, just want it added to main sub, reply was i can do it for £50 and still the same as above.
    Told them again i have a box and the reply was i should pay £149 but i can have a Sky +HD for £109. Told them again i just want multiroom added and he said £12 a month so i though great were getting somewhere and after taking my details again and 16 mins later i was told that he/she cant do it and i will have to call Sky.
    After i calmed down i called and Sky have a major problem and staffing levels were well below normal and call back if not urgent. I stayed on amd after 10 mins explained it all and she then tried to sell me Q for £45 all in but i said i just want multiroom and was told wrong department.
    Passed to another rep and explained it all and was told a new card will be sent out and on activation the multiroom sub wil start.
    I mention about multiroom and he said no they are still doing it fro Sky +HD existing customers for a few months at least. I said about the different prices for Q and he said the chat people never seem to quote the same prices si its pot luck on what price you are offered.
    Well thats me sorted for another year but i am still not sure about Sky Q. I will see what happens in 6 months.
  • Just put a different name as new customer
  • teddysmum
    Gavgooner wrote: »
    Just put a different name as new customer

The made up name or that of someone at the address ? Would payment come out of the same bank account ?

If what you are suggesting was easy, (nearly) everyone would be doing it .
  • keith1950
    keith1950 Posts: 2,597 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Boohoo......why do you need to contact sky through human contact. Just go through your online account and let the computer system tell you the actual price.
    Sky are dropping the sky+HD box and not installing them anymore. As far as sky is concerned Q is the future and I have to say that the new box is a lot faster, ensures you don't get anymore clashed program messages and the mini box works seamlessly.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    keith1950 wrote: »
    Boohoo......why do you need to contact sky through human contact. Just go through your online account and let the computer system tell you the actual price.
    Sky are dropping the sky+HD box and not installing them anymore. As far as sky is concerned Q is the future and I have to say that the new box is a lot faster, ensures you don't get anymore clashed program messages and the mini box works seamlessly.

...and more expensive (= more profit) and much more difficult to negotiate round because the equipment is loaned - also no going back to "old" style box because the LNB is incompatible :(
  • Boohoo
    Boohoo Posts: 1,049 Forumite

keith1950 if you read my post No.33 i am on about Sky +HD boxes and not Sky Q.
    I started this as i got another +HD box and neede to know what my options were as Sky were/have done away with the Sky +HD box installs and there were people saying that +HD multiroom will be no more unless you get Sky Q.
    Not sure if you misunderstood my last post but i got reconnected to my Sky +HD sub after the tv was turned off and i wanted to add another +HD box upstairs.
    As for doing that through my account there was not an option for that as it only gave me multiscreen which was all about the Sky Q box and i did not want to order that £12 extra pm and find out that it's not for my Sky +HD box.
    I hope that clears a few things up.
  • teddysmum
    brewerdave wrote: »
    ...and more expensive (= more profit) and much more difficult to negotiate round because the equipment is loaned - also no going back to "old" style box because the LNB is incompatible :(
    ...and no free satellite channels via the box after you cancel the contract.

Humax now have a box which records 4 programmes at once (for those who want to record a lot but don't want to pay for Sky), as well as having the advanced version of Youview, but I wonder whether you can use an old Humax dual channel as well as a Sky box, recording Freeview channels via the aerial and watching live via the Sky box. (It should work as the Sky box would feed the tv live and the aerial would feed the Humax, assuming your tv has enough HDMI sockets ?)
  • almillar
    almillar Posts: 8,621 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    teddysmum - you're talking about a Humax dual tuner freeview box? Yes, you could use that alongside the Sky Q box. No problem there. But the Q box can take, I think, 8 channels - as in watch one, record SEVEN, so doesn't seem necessary! Sky+ and Sky HD+ have 2 feeds from the dish, enabling recording 2 things, or record one, watch one. This has no effect on what's going on with the aerial cable.
    If you're talking about a FreeSAT box - it (and any Sky box except Q) can't use the new LNBs that Sky Q uses - this would mean having 2 dishes - this is the scenario I would be looking at if I switched to Q.
  • teddysmum
    almillar wrote: »
    teddysmum - you're talking about a Humax dual tuner freeview box? Yes, you could use that alongside the Sky Q box. No problem there. But the Q box can take, I think, 8 channels - as in watch one, record SEVEN, so doesn't seem necessary! Sky+ and Sky HD+ have 2 feeds from the dish, enabling recording 2 things, or record one, watch one. This has no effect on what's going on with the aerial cable.
    If you're talking about a FreeSAT box - it (and any Sky box except Q) can't use the new LNBs that Sky Q uses - this would mean having 2 dishes - this is the scenario I would be looking at if I switched to Q.

Yes a Humax dual tuner PVR, but the new ones (4000 series) do up to 4 recordings and have Freeview play, which Richer Sounds advised me is a sort of upgrade of Youview.

My point was that, if someone only wanted Q for the extra recording facility, using a new version or even older Humax, with their current Sky box, as mentioned, would be a cheaper option, especially as you don't keep the Q box when unsubscribed.

I realise that you couldn't use a Freesat box with the Sky box, as they have the same feed, but having never had the need, until now (Sky off but box in situ), wondered if using the Freeview PVR would work. (Thought it would , but I may have been missing something).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure