Ideal Logic+ combi and thermostat problem...

Options
This is money saving in as much as: can I fix it myself?! Heads up: I know nothing about boilers, other than how to set the dials on my one, and how it responds to a thermostat! I'm also very logical, so have come to the following conclusions...

Have a Logic+ combi boiler, and a mechanical thermostat. The boiler definitely works to supply HW and CH, no issue there. However, the receiver on the boiler and the thermostat don't seem to be communicating anymore.

I've replaced thermostat batteries. Twice. I've re-set thermostat. I've switched boiler off and on and pressed (what I assume is) the receiver's re-set button. I've put thermostat nearer the boiler. Then re-set them both. Nothing. Nada. The boiler simply states it's in Winter mode (good) and that the thermostat is off (not good). Tried thermostat in the 'on' and 'timer' positions and neither message seems to get through.

Is it a case of simply replacing the thermostat? Or the receiver too? Would I have to get a plumber in for that? My plumber is booked for next Weds but just wondering if this is a simple thing. Not sure if I can buy a different thermostat and it will still talk to the current receiver? Not sure how they communicate.

(The reason I know the CH works - and the reason I think it's the thermostat and NOT the receiver - is because I had old batteries in the thermostat the other day, and the boiler seemed to go into Emergency mode where it runs for 4 mins, then does pump overrun for 9, and repeats continuously. The user guide suggests that it goes into emergency mode when it recognises the batteries in the thermostat are dead. Hence I know the heating does work, and it seems that the receiver recognised the problem. Having said that, the batteries weren't *that* dead, as the clock on the thermostat programmer still worked...so it's possible the boiler was in emergency operation mode for another reason.)

TIA if anyone has any suggestions. :)
KiKi
' <-- See that? It's called an apostrophe. It does not mean "hey, look out, here comes an S".

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    problem is it could be the boiler side of the wireless connection that's failed , not the thermostat itself
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • KiKi
    KiKi Posts: 5,377 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh, okay. So I should stick with my plumber looking at it!
    ' <-- See that? It's called an apostrophe. It does not mean "hey, look out, here comes an S".
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,300 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    theres normally 2 parts to a thermostat the wall part and the boiler receiver part , if its the boiler side you need to know how to wire it in

http://www.screwfix.com/p/honeywell-cmt921-wireless-room-thermostat/87377
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • KiKi
    KiKi Posts: 5,377 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Browntoa wrote: »
    theres normally 2 parts to a thermostat the wall part and the boiler part
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/honeywell-cmt921-wireless-room-thermostat/87377

Thanks, yes - that's what I mean by the receiver. It think it's working to some degree because my boiler went into emergency mode, and it does that when the receiver recognises that the thermostat batteries are dead. (I've now put some nearly dead batteries in the thermostat in the hope that emergency mode will kick in and I'll get some heating!)

If I bought just a new thermostat, would it 'automatically' talk to the current receiver, or is the communication between the two parts specific to the product (ie, I'd have to buy both a thermostat and receiver together)?

Thanks again :)
  • southcoastrgi
    Options
    You buy them as a pair you can't normally buy either on their own, what's the make & model of the stat ?
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure