Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    teachergirl
    Son/daughter going to uni in September 2012. What do we need to buy?
    • 6th Apr 12, 10:39 AM
    Son/daughter going to uni in September 2012. What do we need to buy? 6th Apr 12 at 10:39 AM
    Hello not sure if this is in the right place so if necessary could someone put it right
    I am the mother of a child going to Uni in September 2012 and aside from all the issues with finance I know that I am going to have to get him a lot of other things like pots and pans etc. I thought we could start a thread advising each other of any bargains. Also any parents of currents students could advise of things they bought that either turned out to be really useful or a waste of time.
    To get the ball rolling. I went into B*S yesterday and they had an 80% off sale in the home section. I bought a two seasons duvet reduced from 55 to 16. Then I asked about a discount card I had which they didn't know how to work, so they asked if I was a student to which I said no but I am buying this for a student so they knocked another 20% off making it 13.20 The quality looked O.K. and I thought this would be doubly useful as it covers all eventualities..hot/cold room and a spare duvet if friends come to visit. The uni he is hoping to go to has a shared kitchen and they advised not to buy lots of pots and pans as everyone brings them and for awhile they have 8 of everything, so my MIL is giving us a set of spare pans, so we won't have to fork out for them initially and we can suppliment them at a later date if need be.
    I am hoping by starting early on my purchases to get some bargains in the sales. Anyone else got any thoughts
    Paid off mortgage early, still working to help kids through uni then planning to retire.
    Declutter challenge 56/364
Page 6
  • BACKFRMTHEEDGE
    Son said he didn't want the clothes airer but I think he wishes he had one now....

• sumosami
    Depending on how interested they are in the kitchen ...I got my daughter a single person size slow cooker ...was fab ...she could throw in some meat, veg & packet casserole mix, put it on low all day & it was ready for her to eat when she got in at the end of the day ...they didnt really have any problems with anyone pinching other peoples things ...maybe they were lucky
    Also had to buy her a decent internet cable as the signal was rubbish at her uni as was the cable provided
    • mintymoneysaver
    • By mintymoneysaver 5th Oct 12, 6:38 PM
    • 3,461 Posts
    • 17,752 Thanks
    mintymoneysaver
    Anyone got any idea if Uni halls have aerials? Daughter coming home this weekend and taking her tv back with her. I had asked her to check, but of course she hasn't!
    Debts May 2015/ Now
    Bank of Mum 800/ 750/700/2000
    Barclaycard 550/ 535/ 485/ 320/286.06 PAID OFF
    Halifax CC 9500// 9333/9183/9348/9492.50/9445

• the-mango
    • By the-mango 5th Oct 12, 10:24 PM
    • 768 Posts
    • 1,479 Thanks
    the-mango
    Anyone got any idea if Uni halls have aerials? Daughter coming home this weekend and taking her tv back with her. I had asked her to check, but of course she hasn't!
    Originally posted by mintymoneysaver
    will just depend on the uni nd halls you might be able to find out online on their accommodation pag
  • unimaginative user name
    Just checking that your daughter knows she'll need a tv license if she's in halls.
  • wintersunshine
    Just checking that your daughter knows she'll need a tv license if she's in halls.
    Originally posted by unimaginative user name
    ....and she can watch BBC iplayer on her computer for free....
    • mintymoneysaver
    • By mintymoneysaver 6th Oct 12, 9:20 AM
    • 3,461 Posts
    • 17,752 Thanks
    mintymoneysaver
    Yes, thanks for the reminder, but she does know. Going to sort it today. She wasn't going to take it with her, but she is finding her room quite isolated ( next to a staircase) 3 people in her section with her who never seem to appear, only a wall opposite, and a kitchen not big enough for a table. Then a set of fire doors in a big old cavernous hall not unlike a prison! ( Not the halls she wanted, unsurprisingly) She has made friends in other halls and on her course now thankfully, but she' s had a rough two weeks and at least this means she can invite people to her room to watch TV.
    Debts May 2015/ Now

• silvercar
    Not if the TV belongs to the parent, who has their own licence at home and the tv is only used in hall when it is running off an internal battery.

Some halls run their own cabled tv service, that you can view on laptops ( so easier to comply with the I internal battery requirement).
    • mintymoneysaver
    • By mintymoneysaver 7th Oct 12, 9:48 AM
    • 3,461 Posts
    • 17,752 Thanks
    mintymoneysaver
    But how often do proper TVs run off internal batteries?
    Debts May 2015/ Now

• the-mango
    • By the-mango 7th Oct 12, 9:52 PM
    • 768 Posts
    • 1,479 Thanks
    the-mango
    If she's buying a TV license anyway she could also just stream live TV off her laptop (if the screen's big enough to watch comfortably) from http://www.tvcatchup.com/
  • Sunshinemummy
    Yes, thanks for the reminder, but she does know. Going to sort it today. She wasn't going to take it with her, but she is finding her room quite isolated ( next to a staircase) 3 people in her section with her who never seem to appear, only a wall opposite, and a kitchen not big enough for a table. Then a set of fire doors in a big old cavernous hall not unlike a prison! ( Not the halls she wanted, unsurprisingly) She has made friends in other halls and on her course now thankfully, but she' s had a rough two weeks and at least this means she can invite people to her room to watch TV.
    I would get her to request a move some students leave within the first few weeks, so hopefully she can get one of their rooms x
    Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself. ~ Rumi
  • jackieblack
    I would get her to request a move some students leave within the first few weeks, so hopefully she can get one of their rooms x
    Originally posted by Sunshinemummy
    You've answered a post that is 2 years old, they've probably got it sorted by now
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )

GBBO Team Ugne
  • Sunshinemummy
    You've answered a post that is 2 years old, they've probably got it sorted by now
    Originally posted by jackieblack
    Bloody hell, I never noticed. I will have to be more observant. but you never know the poor girl could still be stuck on that terrible room and not realised 2 years have gone by!

SSM x
    Yesterday I was clever and tried to change the world. Today I am wise and try to change myself. ~ Rumi
  • martinnathalie9
    When my sister's eldest went to uni she gave him all of her pots pans, cutlery, dishes etc that he needed, then she got to buy herself lots of lovely new kitchen things! I am not sure he was best pleased but she definitely was, an enjoyable way to spend money on your children I think!

Nat xo
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

6,234Posts Today

8,495Users online

Martin's Twitter