PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Food budget plan

Comments

• jackyann
    jackyann Posts: 3,433 Forumite
    Of course you know your family best, but my advice is to get the kids on side. When I was young, we had a few difficult times (Not, I am glad to say, serious) but knowing that things needed stretching helped us to be helpful, and the lessons have stood me in good stead through bringing up my own family.

Involve all in meal plans - what would you like? Talk about how much different things cost, and accommodate everyone as much as you can.

You have some nice and healthy things by you, so you have a good start.

I'd do a sort of Jansson's Temptation or fish pie with the mackerel, but you know if your family would prefer it made into a sauce with pasta.
    I'd take the beans and the lamb sausages and make up a sort of chilli - and I'd make up the polenta with cheese to serve with it and stretch it. I'd also think about chilli-ing or currying the lentils, as I find spicing things up makes them go further, but not all kids agree!

I'd also make a 'treat dinner' of pork chops with rub and some of those nice veges you've listed.

1-2 chicken breasts with a rub, dice very small, mix with salad and mayo and stuff into pittas - serve with chips.

1-2 lamb shanks cooked up with lentils, dried peas or similar can then be cut up and stretched.

Dried fruit will be good for the kids, but for the next 3 weeks, I wouldn't get too upset about '5 a day' - it's good general advice, not something to beat yourself up about.

I'm sure you'll find something here to suit you, and hope you stretch to a nice drink when the next payday comes
  • RedCola
    RedCola Posts: 113 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Meant to say as well, the frozen meat is from the butchers (apart from Heck sausages). It's really good quality, and goes far maybe I could use less?

Also, I've just realised I forgot to add leeks (fresh, 3pk) to the list

C J - Thank you for the recipes. I will try the pie for sure.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Hello there I have just sent you a PM

JackieO x
  • RedCola
    edited 8 March 2017 at 6:47PM
    jackyann -Good tips, and I will get the kids involved. My middle one has food issues, so will be harder, however you're right, everyone needs to be on board.
    I have to ask, what is Jansson's Temptation? I will have to google! Your tips are really useful as I have no idea what to do with some f the food we have. I get it for a change, and then we are too tired or whatever to learn what to do with it.
  • grandma247
    grandma247 Posts: 2,412 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Sausages can be sliced up and added to veg for stew or soup, if you add beans you can make a few sausages go a long way. Sliced sausage that has been cooked can also be put on a pizza or make mini toad in the holes using a muffin tin. Again a little will go a long way. The chicken could be chopped up in a curry or cut into small strips or nuggets and dip in a thick batter, fry them and serve with chips and veg.
  • grandma247
    Make puddings with the fruits . Crumble, sponge on top of fruit and baked, pancakes with fruit filling, muffins with fruit in. As for your husband he could take soup or stew in a flask and have some left over pudding cold.
  • RedCola
    edited 8 March 2017 at 6:51PM
    I don't normally really meal plan. Do I need to account for all meals and go with a list? Or make meals from what I buy, once home?

Also, I'm terrible at baking! Not one clue. Any help in how to do crumbles / biscuits / cakes etc would be a huge help
  • Matron_Midge
    Matron_Midge Posts: 700 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    A very basic sponge/cupcakes/pudding (on top of jam, syrup or fruit) is:-

6oz butter or margarine
    6oz sugar
    2-3 eggs depending on size
    6oz self raising flour

Cream (mix together thoroughly) butter and sugar in a bowl. Beat eggs in cup and add to bowl. Mix thoroughly again. Add flour and gently stir until it has all gone. The more gentle you are, the lighter the sponge will be.
    Put mix in a tin/bun cases or atop the fruit and bake at 160C until golden and springy to touch. Time will vary with what you make is buns are quicker than a cake.
    Cake and buns can be topped with icing, chocolate or jam and coconut.
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,501 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 8 March 2017 at 9:44PM
    Another tip, buy a block of cheddar (I buy Aldi strong cheddar at about £3.50) and grate it all, then pop it into freezer bags and freeze it. Keep one bag in the fridge at any time.

My hubby and sons would 'snack' on cheese cutting huge lumps off of it, grated it can be used for sarnies, cheese on toast, sprinkled over most dishes to 'perk' up flavour and lasts very much longer.

For teen, ask them to make toast or a sarnie to snack on rather than 10 packs of crisps ;) buy a cheap sliced loaf for that purpose.

Tell the kids that are old enough that a multi pack of 6 bags of crisps each is their weeks allocation and when they are gone, that's it.

Bulk out meals with grated veg etc, things like spag Bol, Cottage pie, chilli etc are easy to 'pad' out with extra veg without kids noticing.

If you are not confident with baking, don't risk wasting butter, flour eggs etc at this time (but do practise when things are a little easier) buy basic biscuits but ration them.
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • grandma247
    Look for twinkle hobnobs recipe on here. Also there is a 100 biscuits recipe on the internet that is quick cheap and easy.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure