PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Viewings while packing to leave

Options
Hello all,

Not sure if I'm being unreasonable so have come here for some independent advice.

In February, our landlord gave us 2 months notice when she activated a 6-months break clause in our 2 year tenancy agreement. I love the home we have made at the property but diligently set about looking for a new home. Luckily, we found somewhere relatively quickly and will be able to move before the end of the 2 months notice period. We were asked to accommodate viewings and did so. We had our home 'show room' tidy while the property was on the market. The property is now under offer so we have started the long arduous task of packing. We are moving out next week Wednesday so you can imagine what the box situation is right now. We are knee deep in boxes, sorting through drawers and cupboards, decluttering, etc.

The question now is the buyers want to view the property again this Friday evening. I have said no for the reasons stated above. I said the property is having an 'end of tenancy clean' on Friday. The property will be both clean and empty then. They will be able to properly view the property without obstacles.

I've had an email back from the agency saying because they've given 48 hours notice, it doesn't matter. They can come in.

I thought I was being quite reasonable. Maybe I'm being terrible.

I welcome opinions on this but ask that you keep it civil.

:hello: :footie:

Comments

• fed_up_and_stressed
    Options
    No as it isn't emergency access required you have a right to quiet enjoyment of your home.
    Spelling courtesy of the whims of auto correct...

Pet Peeves.... queues, vain people and hypocrites ..not necessarily in that order.
  • cooltt
    cooltt Posts: 852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    EmsLdn wrote: »
    Hello all,

Not sure if I'm being unreasonable so have come here for some independent advice.

In February, our landlord gave us 2 months notice when she activated a 6-months break clause in our 2 year tenancy agreement. I love the home we have made at the property but diligently set about looking for a new home. Luckily, we found somewhere relatively quickly and will be able to move before the end of the 2 months notice period. We were asked to accommodate viewings and did so. We had our home 'show room' tidy while the property was on the market. The property is now under offer so we have started the long arduous task of packing. We are moving out next week Wednesday so you can imagine what the box situation is right now. We are knee deep in boxes, sorting through drawers and cupboards, decluttering, etc.

The question now is the buyers want to view the property again this Friday evening. I have said no for the reasons stated above. I said the property is having an 'end of tenancy clean' on Friday. The property will be both clean and empty then. They will be able to properly view the property without obstacles.

I've had an email back from the agency saying because they've given 48 hours notice, it doesn't matter. They can come in.

Take lots of pictures and a video with your phone of the clean property. Inform the agency you did this with whiteness present (get their body on camera, no face) should any disputes arise with the deposit payback.

Job Done.
  • Rain_Shadow
    Rain_Shadow Posts: 1,798 Forumite
    Options
    cooltt wrote: »
    take lots of pictures and a video with your phone of the clean property. Inform the agency you did this with whiteness present (get their body on camera, no face) should any disputes arise with the deposit payback.

Job done.

:rotfl: . .
    You can pick your friends and you can pick your nose but you can't pick your friend's nose.
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    Hello all,

Am I missing something? If they want to come Friday evening and the property will be clean & empty by then, I don't see the issue.
  • saajan_12
    saajan_12 Posts: 3,621 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Firstly you don't have to keep the place clean or at all presentable for viewings, so if it's not too much of an inconvenience for you / you don't mind, then you can let them view around your boxes and there's no issue.

There's a lot of debate around whether you agreed to allow access in your tenancy agreement often subject to certain conditions and whether these are binding at all
    - with a certain length and format of notice
    - only for repairs / inspections / ?
    - only in last month of tenancy / contract (does this apply with a break clause?).

In practice unless the LL has keys and you'll be out, there's little the LL can do to enforce access before you'd have left anyway. In theory if they can demonstrate they were entitled to access and your refusal caused them any direct, provable losses, they can sue you for this.

As for next steps, if its not an inconvenience for you, I'd let them come to view around your boxes. If it is then suggest another time that would work better and explain that you don't want the viewers to get a poor impression as the boxes make the place look small / messy.
  • Norman_Castle
    Norman_Castle Posts: 11,871 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 16 March 2017 at 1:36PM
    Options

Not if the doors locked. Advise them viewings from next Thursday are welcome.
  • bertiewhite
    bertiewhite Posts: 1,904 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Am I missing something? If they want to come Friday evening and the property will be clean & empty by then, I don't see the issue.

The viewing is for THIS Friday and the OP moves out NEXT Weds which is what I'm reading.

OP - I'd say they're welcome to view but you'll be packing. Make sure you're packing and keep saying "Excuse me, I need to get through" :)
  • EmsLdn
    EmsLdn Posts: 56 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi, I think I've explained terribly.

Agents want to bring buyers round on 17th. Due to shift work/study/commitments, we'll be working between now and moving out date 22/23 March, so we are almost completely packed and ready to leave. End of Tenancy clean is happening on Friday 24 March (am). Property will be unoccupied from then on.
    :hello: :footie:
  • lika_86
    lika_86 Posts: 1,772 Forumite
    Options
    Who cares if it's messy? If the viewers don't have a good impression of it then it's their problem/your landlord's problem, not yours. If you're having them in after the end of tenancy clean though, make sure that you do check out before a load of people come and traipse through the house.

I'd let them come round whenever, it's not like they're your buyers.
  • lika_86
    lika_86 Posts: 1,772 Forumite
    Options
    Also, having thought about this, I'd have tried to agree in writing with the landlord that an end of tenancy clean isn't required on the basis that new tenants aren't going in but instead buyers who will take the property as it is.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure