Are value / Basic brands disappearing from the supermarkets?

Comments

• trinidadone
    trinidadone Posts: 3,337 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 3 March 2017 at 1:44PM
    I noticing more products disappearing.

Tesco value washing conditioner

Sanisburys Basic soup

Tesco Value soap bath

all disappeared :(
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
  • nwc389
    nwc389 Posts: 497 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Since Christmas we have noticed a few things that we normally buy from Lidl are rarely or never available any more .
    Their raisin wheats - vanished without trace !
    Diet version of Fanta - like gold dust
    Cola max - vanished for the last 2 weeks
    Their tinned tuna in brine - vanished for the last 2-3 weeks

All things that we've bought week in week out since we started shopping there a couple of years ago . Anyone else missing stuff or is it just my store ?
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    I stocked up on Mr T washing up liquid in case it wasn't just being repackaged and I've not seen it on the shelves since. I've just done the same with the value clothes washing liquid which I noticed was also reduced to clear.
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • trinidadone
    Mr T vaue tooth paste was reduced to 23p, now all gone :(
  • trinidadone
    I think ASDA has dropped it's Smartprice (value) Branflakes, Rice Crispies and Coco Pops. These were discounted to 1/2 price a couple of weeks ago. I've not seen them in-store since and they are not currently available on line. Disappointed, because these were a staple of my shop and perfectly good.

According to the website there are still 204 Asda Smartprice lines still available: https://groceries.asda.com/search/ASDA%20Smartprice

Hello Wednesday100, looks like value branflakes have returned to asda, but now a shop brand, and slightly more than the value brand. They actually taste and look the same as the value brand, mmmmmmmmmmmmm
  • Li0nhead
    Li0nhead Posts: 16,922 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Looks like more of my shopping will be done at the pound shops/farmfoods/Iceland/Home bargains etc if the value brands disappear.
    Hi there! We’ve had to remove your signature. It was so good we removed it because we cannot think of one so good as you had and need to protect others from seeing such a great signature.
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I just shop in lidl now only using the big 4 for items that lidl don't stock, Persil, Sensodyne, fairy, which I can't change brands on
  • System
    System Posts: 178,089 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    I hope and pray that Asda don't drop the SP cottage cheese. 64p is brilliant. Which is almost half the price of the normal cottage cheese.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I hope and pray that Asda don't drop the SP cottage cheese. 64p is brilliant. Which is almost half the price of the normal cottage cheese.
    Are you on a diet? :D
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • nwc389 wrote: »
    Since Christmas we have noticed a few things that we normally buy from Lidl are rarely or never available any more .
    Their raisin wheats - vanished without trace !
    Diet version of Fanta - like gold dust
    Cola max - vanished for the last 2 weeks
    Their tinned tuna in brine - vanished for the last 2-3 weeks

All things that we've bought week in week out since we started shopping there a couple of years ago . Anyone else missing stuff or is it just my store ?

I've also found items I've been buying regularly from Lidl for the last couple of years have disappeared in the last few months. They used to do bottles of white wine vinegar which was displayed in a mixed box of vinegars that also included Balsamic vinegar and red wine vinegar. Now they're just doing the Balsamic.

I think the Lidl tuna is being repackaged in a smaller size tin with less contents for the same price!:sad:. I normally buy the chunks in spring water, which I've had trouble getting for the last few weeks too. On Saturday they had plenty of tuna chunks in brine, and amongst them I found just one tin of tuna in spring water. When I got home and put it in the cupboard I noticed the tin is smaller than the last one I bought. When I checked the label the net weight has gone from 185g to 160g and the drained weight from 130g to 112g!

As well as products disappearing I've noticed a lot of things have been increasing in price over the last few months too especially their fish.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure