PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Where to move to diverse outskirts London?

Hiya, other half and I are looking to start a family, we are currently in SE London but looking to upsize and move out where we can get more for our money, still travel to city for our work, but also have diverse area to move into, being Asian/white couple we'd love to be in a nice mixed area where we can raise little uns. I'd love to be in forest hill but way too expensive. Any suggested areas would be great. Thanks:j

Comments

• Cakeguts
    Cakeguts Posts: 7,627
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find.html?locationIdentifier=REGION%5E79849&sortType=6&includeSSTC=true This is a very diverse area and not as expensive as some other areas around.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,468
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    What's your budget? What are you looking for in a house?

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    Slough.

If that doesn't appeal, then you really need to be more specific. Otherwise, you may as well be asking how long is a piece of string?
  • We could afford upto £475k in area we are in but would prefer to move as area is bit downhill. Though we are lucky to have good transportation. What's the connections for slough. I think cross rail is due there too right so prices upping there?

You in slough Tim? How is it.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,506
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    If you want to stay in south east London, Abbey Wood, Bexleyheath, bits of Croydon, Penge.

That budget is tight for a house but would get you a flat in a nice area.

Mind you it also depends on what you mean by diverse. I'm just a few miles from Catford and it is astonishing how much whiter it is - but it's not exclusively white and I doubt that a mixed race family would have any problems.
  • elverson
    elverson Posts: 808 Forumite
    I'd avoid Mottingham and Eltham.
  • Transport to work is often a big deal, so have a look at how far you can travel out. I would suggest simply visiting areas, have a look at local parks, pubs, restaurants, what kind of play groups are available for children etc. There may not be as many parks or play groups available but enough for you as a family to like. Will you be moving to where any of your family may already be living? That is also a big issue when it comes to starting a family as you'll need a support network around. That saying, when you start a family you'll create a whole new network too. Have a look at local nurseries and schools. You can ask to visit schools and they are often happy to show you around. As it's the summer term you may want to start doing that soon.

Also go to the local libraries as they often have events going on so you can see what's out there. Also have a look at online magazines that show what's on in the areas for kids and yourselves.

Good luck.
  • ndi149
    ndi149 Posts: 61
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I live a mile out from Bromley, with a five minute bus journey to Grove Park with great links into London. I would definitely say Bromley is a diverse area, being part of a mixed couple myself! If you can afford Bromley directly it's great, if you can't then a mile out, but not as far as Catford, your money should go further.
  • Being in Croydon I tend to go Bromley fair bit, it is diverse but I'm not sure about it tbh. OH family are in Croydon so I guess support network but I'm finding Croydon can be somewhat a dive in parts and goodness knows when Westfield will happen(!) that was reason I bought my flat here.....along with good links. We did look for houses last year but perhaps I'm too fussy plus the schools don't seem that great. I just want our next move as joint purchase to be ideally last one for good 7-10yrs. I like Croydon at times but do feel when I go into town it's a deep dive!

I'm not keen on bexleyheath/penge/abbey wood, feel quite rough to me. I did think Brighton or hove but that feels waaay too far. I quite like being a London chick and having it in my fingertips.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,468
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Would you go to NE London?

Highams Park would be perfect.

It's a mixed/blended area. Lovely community. Good school. Lovely open space, a lake, a small village type feel, yet London. Two lovely Indian restaurants (and some other decent ones), a nice Chinese, hairdressers, caf!s/pancake place in the old signal box at the level crossing, full size Tesco, oh and a local bloke walks a dalek around lol, that sort of thing.

https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/green-spaces/epping-forest/visitor-information/wheretogoineppingforest/Pages/highams-park.aspx

http://www.highamsparkforum.co.uk/index.html

These houses would be my choices:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-59044873.html

These two are on slightly busier roads (although not that busy at night):

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-58847623.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-59179009.html

Jx
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories