Pizza Takeaway Makign me pay for a damaged sign

Comments

• steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 10 October 2016 at 1:21PM
    This is a difficult one. It would help if you can post a picture similar to the sign you knocked over.

I am a bit confused as in your first pot you say leant against the sign. But in a later post you said you brushed against it with your shoulder.

Personally, I think you should pay for basic repairs. These signs are not designed to be leant against. If you damaged the sign by leaning against it, or staggering into it, that is slightly careless so I think the damage is your responsibility. If you were drunk at the time it would look worse.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I don't think we are getting the full story here. If the OP merely accidentally damaged the sign without any malice, why were the Police called? Why would the Police side with the business if CCTV showed otherwise?
  • Zandoni
    Zandoni Posts: 3,426 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    I don't think we are getting the full story here. If the OP merely accidentally damaged the sign without any malice, why were the Police called? Why would the Police side with the business if CCTV showed otherwise?

If I understand the op properly it seems the police sided with the him and not Papa Johns.
  • If the OP merely accidentally damaged the sign without any malice, why were the Police called?
    The outlet in question may have had problems in the past with drunk customers (I'm in no way implying that this was the case with the OP) and it might be their standard practice to call the police if ever there is a problem late in the evening especially if it's close to pub kicking out time.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    robz2008 wrote: »
    basically he got the police and they more aless sided against him, the incident was on CCTV
    Zandoni wrote: »
    If I understand the op properly it seems the police sided with the him and not Papa Johns.
    it might be their standard practice to call the police if ever there is a problem late in the evening
    As I said, far more information is required.
    How did the Police side against him "more or less"? Sounds to me like the Police just attended to calm things down and left both sides to sort it out themselves? A civil rather than criminal matter?

It's futile for us to continue surmising what may or may not have happened.
  • naedanger
    naedanger Posts: 3,102 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    It's futile for us to continue surmising what may or may not have happened.

That is nearly always my view.

In my view, it is not for us to decide what happened but to give help/views based on what a poster has said happened. I cannot see how we can decide what actually happened as we only ever hear one side of the story.

If a poster has given an inaccurate or incomplete account of the actual situation then the help/views may not be appropriate but that is their fault for giving an inaccurate or incomplete account.
  • maninthestreet
    maninthestreet Posts: 16,127 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    How will Papa Johns pursue you for this money? Don't tell me you gave them your name and address?
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • Fat_Walt
    Fat_Walt Posts: 750 Forumite
    From what you describe I'm amazed that the police turned out for this on a Saturday night! Do you know how Papa John's described this incident to them to make them respond? Did they suggest you were causing some sort of disturbance or public order offence?

How will they sue you? Did the police take your details and pass them on?

I doubt you can cause £200 worth of damage by accidentally leaning against something. But if it had been me, and I'd broken something, I might have offered a tenner without accepting liability.

Other fast food outlets are available.

Drunken customer causes damage it a takeaway shop, sounds like a trypical Saturday night job for them.
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,082 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    What sort of idiotic shop with queuing customers has signs that break when you lean on them??? Everyone leans on the wall when queuing!

If yu have a wall that customers aueue against, you do not put flimsy signs that will break!

So either the sign was not fit for purpose, or there is more to this story...
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • pinkshoes wrote: »
    What sort of idiotic shop with queuing customers has signs that break when you lean on them??? Everyone leans on the wall when queuing!

If yu have a wall that customers aueue against, you do not put flimsy signs that will break!

So either the sign was not fit for purpose, or there is more to this story...

Do they? I've never leant on a wall whilst queuing.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure