Topcashback Questions & Answers

Comments

• cm7
    cm7 Posts: 298 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    stemcgoo wrote: »
    Word of advice, don't bother with Topcashback. Their customer service is shocking and their missing Cashback claims handling is abysmal.

I am a member of several referred schemes, TCB, Quidco and (much maligned) ShopperDiscountsandRewards - I can honestly say TCB have the worst customer service (no phone number, Quidco do call backs for premium members and SDR have a 0800 number) and I am fed up of Cashback claims being refused.

The latest is a 14 month old claim for Homeserve Cashback - they underpaid me £68.25 but the link was actually for £84 (this includes my 5% bonus). After many months -over a year- of their message system they finally responded today that the merchant has refused the claim as they were not the last referrer......clearly wrong given they already paid out some. This and many other examples of such cr*p from them leave me no other course than to cancel my membership and have this public rant.

And breathe......

Probably going a bit far saying TCB have customer service. I've read through a bit of this thread and "wait and see" seems to be their only response to anything.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Hey everyone,

@cm7 - I am sorry you don't believe what I am saying. The payment stats on site may take a short while to update and may not take all transactions into account, for example it may only update once a certain percentage of cashback is paid for that period.

Once a transaction is confirmed the merchant is then invoiced for the funds but it has to be part of a batching processing and while the merchant may have paid it, this may go trough different organisations until it is passed over to the cashback networks who then pay us.

@JPears - I am sorry to hear this is your experience of the site as this is certainly not the experience that most members encounter and cashback reliability doesn't decrease based on cost. Each cashback transaction should be seen as an individual event, taken place under different circumstances and in most cases with a different network.

Normally commission is earned by companies without the customer knowing. The speed of payment, the amount of cashback should never be seen as a guaranteed thing as we point out at various times on our site. While cashback sites do their best to manage their members expectations, sometimes things can take longer than usual or sometimes a claim may need to be lodged. It's not because the merchant just doesn't want to pay. If this did happen with a merchant the commission source would no longer display their links.

Something very important to bear in mind, cashback sites do not obtain payment from the merchants directly and do not track transactions. Changing cashback sites due to slow progressing cashback or issues with incorrect cashback may lead to disappointment as in most cases for 100% cashback sites they can only award what they are paid and when they are paid it.

If you have any issues with your account please direct me to these via our email [EMAIL="mse@topcashback.co.uk"]mse@topcashback.co.uk[/EMAIL] so I can look into your account and see what the latest is with your issues, whether that's getting a claim resolved or getting your cashback in the payable section.

Best wishes,
    Matt
    I expect any offered cashback to be a binding contract, in the same way my contract with the merchant to purchase whatever goods or services offered is binding. To say these are not guaranteed is just a poor excuse and unprofessional at best. IMHO disingenuous.
    My experience over many many years is that the higher the value of the cashback, the longer or less likely you are to receive it, and usually in a reduced form. This is evidencial over many claims, not anecdotal.
    So advice to anyone new to TCB - if you get any cashback its a bonus. If its the full amount and on tme, you've won the lottery...
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • TopCashBack_Company_Representative
    TopCashBack_Company_Representative Posts: 2,184 Organisation Representative
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi everyone,

@LauraCow – Can you confirm for me if you are using the comparison tool branded TopCashback Compare or a merchant directly?

@ stemcgoo – Sorry you feel so strongly for the customer service we provide both through tickets and through other sources including this forum here.

Some members may call for claims to be resolved within a shorter time frame. We could do this but this would mean giving up on the first hurdle and declining the claim without giving it chance to be resolved.
    Your claim has with us as you mention for 14 months. That’s not 14 months of our team twiddling their thumbs, that is 14 months of our team trying their absolute best to get you the cashback.

Sometimes the commission is split when we’re not the last referrer. Sometimes the commission is shared and I understand it’s annoying and frustrating but the only way we could make you satisfied is by paying you the money ourselves. That’s not sustainable while already offering members at least 100% commission of what we are paid. We promise our members 100% of what we are paid and when we are paid it. I am sorry you do not feel we have met this.

@bristolleedsfan - The only way we can assist you with looking into particular matters if emailing us directly on mse@topcashback.co.uk . I’d appreciate it if you could either do this or submit a support ticket. We have received many different emails to our inbox and speak to many members a day. While I can always try my best I cannot recall each member’s username / email address based on their mse credentials.

@ cm7 – We’re limited in what we can provide here on such an open public forum. I will pass on your feedback about the support received on this thread. Obviously, if members feel they are better suited to other ways of getting in touch may be need to review this forum as a means of helping members.

@ JPears – We make no pretences that cashback is not guaranteed. It’s unsustainable to continually account for payments we will not ever receive. We explain this in the terms and conditions you agree to when you join. We alert members to cashback not being guaranteed and so do the many of people who have recommended / featured us.

Cashback success and cashback amount have no relation to each other. They are often different merchants, different terms etc. Most people will like to shop around before finding the best deal – for example a telecoms provider.

If a member scouts through different sites, goes to the merchant directly and then clicks through us and purchasing without clearing cookies and cache the cashback may be declined.

The last referrer in that case will likely be seen as someone else and they will be paid the commission, unless the referrer was the merchant themselves. This is why we regularly provide our members with support and guidance over how to reduce the chance of cashback being declined. We don’t want it to happen any more than you do.

I hope this responds to the points you have made.

Regards,
    Matt
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of TopCashBack. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • I won't use TCB fullstop anymore it's the same old rubbish claims take forever to get sorted then come back as unsuccesful.
    Genuine cashback gets declined TCB were busted by BT for doing this once TCB declined it i contacted BT ceo and they contacted the relevant department in BT and surprise surprise the cashback suddenly appeared again as payable in my TCB account.
    TCB have the longest pending cashback times in my experience.
    Also if a company is offering cashback for you to take their products then they have to honour it by law as it is a incentive regardless of how it's offered being their own site or TCB.
    My advice is if all else fails with TCB contact the company direct do not take no for a answer, this excuse TCB use "another site has recieved the payment" is a load of codswallop.

• @bristolleedsfan - We have received many different emails to our inbox and speak to many members a day. While I can always try my best I cannot recall each member’s username / email address based on their mse credentials.

Matt

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=71943330&postcount=3162

"Being as TCB know exactly who I am"

"Hi there,

I have just responded to your post on MSE, but have added this note also to confirm that the £55 rate for Santander 123 Current account is correct"

Best wishes,
    John
    TopCashback | 08 Jan 2013
  • fezster
    fezster Posts: 485 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hi TopCashback.

I have 2 missing cashback claims for Expedia which have been in 'Ready to submit' status for the last week. Could you tell me how long it takes for them to be submitted?

The claims are for quite large amounts so anxious to see them resolved quickly.

Thanks.
    Hey everyone,

@ fezster - I am sorry you have had to submit claims for your transactions. We have to batch claims up before we’re able to submit them to the cashback network. We submit claims roughly every 4 weeks and so it shouldn’t be too long now until we are able to submit this to the network.

Our Team will work as hard as they can to get you a response about your claim as soon as possible. While we do rely on the merchant’s network coming back to us with a resolution we do often have them resolved within 12-16 weeks. That’s not to say it wont be resolved quicker, this is just the average time it takes.

@ legendkiller2k8 – The cashback site won't be paid unless it’s the last referrer. This happens with other cashback sites too as all commission sources are treated fairly and equally. It’s fair, it’s equal and we can’t ask for anything fairer.

While you may try and sometimes successfully manage to get the merchant to goodwill payment (whether that’s directly or through us) there’s no guarantees with this. In addition to this, as merchants don’t need to offer commission for their products. An influx of customers complaining our site was not regarded as the last referrer may make them review offering commission.

I am sorry you don’t like earning cashback through us but I can’t apologise that we are treated in the same manner as all other commission sources. While I understand it’s annoying not getting something you think you will get, it’s not guaranteed, it’s never promised as guaranteed and it’s not the same as a merchant saying on their website buy X and get X amount cashback. We pay you the commission we get paid, this is not a special offer.

@ bristolleedsfan – I kindly ask if you want responses that can access your account immediately that you submit a support ticket.

Best wishes,
    Matt
    I am the official company representative of TopCashBack. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • cm7
    cm7 Posts: 298 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    While I understand it’s annoying not getting something you think you will get, it’s not guaranteed, it’s never promised as guaranteed and it’s not the same as a merchant saying on their website buy X and get X amount cashback. We pay you the commission we get paid, this is not a special offer.

That's not a fair position for a few reasons.

It doesn't say "possible" cashback on each merchants page. Everything on a merchants page is designed to assure customers they'll receive their cashback (and quickly).

You display "99.xx% satisfied" on each merchants page. What counts as satisfied? I'm not satisfied with two transactions that are late (and another claim that's been sitting since last May unmoved), will you still count me as "satisfied" if they're eventually paid?

The reviews on a merchants page are probably the worst thing you do to mislead customers. They're listed by default starting from the best reviews with bad reviews hidden at the very end. Wouldn't sorting by "newest first" be fairer? But there's even a problem with that! Sort by newest first, click on to page two and it sneakily switches back to "highest rated". Deliberately showing only the best reviews (even when the customer tries to avoid them) assures customers that they'll receive their cashback quickly with no problems, contrary to what you've posted on here.

On that review page you also prominently display the "99.xx satisfied figure. Take Next - they have an average of 3 stars displayed from 643 reviews. Yet when clicking to view the reviews "99.93% satisfied" is prominently displayed. Sort by "newest first" and there's a whole list of unhappy people. In fact most are very unhappy, odd that they only count for 0.07%!

It seems like you achieve your 99.xx satisfied figures by assuming everyone is satisfied. The only way to count as "unsatisfied" is to take time to write a bad review - which won't be seen by anyone anyway!
  • fezster
    fezster Posts: 485 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Hey everyone,

@ fezster - I am sorry you have had to submit claims for your transactions. We have to batch claims up before we’re able to submit them to the cashback network. We submit claims roughly every 4 weeks and so it shouldn’t be too long now until we are able to submit this to the network.

Our Team will work as hard as they can to get you a response about your claim as soon as possible. While we do rely on the merchant’s network coming back to us with a resolution we do often have them resolved within 12-16 weeks. That’s not to say it wont be resolved quicker, this is just the average time it takes.

Best wishes,
    Matt

Matt,

Thanks for coming back to me. My claims are now showing as 'ON HOLD', and will be submitted after my hotel bookings end. Eg.

On Hold. We will automatically submit this to the merchant after 12 Apr 17.

Can you confirm this is normal - to only submit after the booking end date? Is there any historical data to suggest the likelihood of this being rejected given it's current state - I'm not sure what possible reason they could give to reject it as the booking has obviously been made online and is eligible for cashback.
    Hi everyone,

@fezster – I have just double checked with the Claims Team and can confirm this is the normal process for this merchant and nothing to worry about at all. The main reasons for cashback being declined would be us not being deemed as the last referrer. Unfortunately, we can't foresee if your claim will be successful or declined but I do really hope we can get you the cashback through your claims.

@ cm7 – I am sorry you don’t agree with the concept of commission sites opening up and giving away the commission they earn as cashback.

Ratings are displayed newest first for a few key reasons, the main one being members tend not to write positive reviews even if they have a great cashback experience. We’re working on this to try and involve all members no matter what their cashback experience was. If this ever happens we can perhaps looks at showing reviews ‘most recent first’

Best wishes,
    Matt
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback