How to change your home phone number

Hi and hope that someone can help with this one

I need to change my Home phone number and am getting run around.

I am with Talk Talk for line/phone/broadband and so far had no trouble with them at all.

Now I need to get my home number changed. Talk Talk say it is up to BT to issue new numbers and BT say chat to Talk Talk, and so the circle goes

Anyone got any help or had to do this before

Cheers:confused:

Comments

• notbritishgas
    notbritishgas Posts: 2,304 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Hi and hope that someone can help with this one

I need to change my Home phone number and am getting run around.

I am with Talk Talk for line/phone/broadband and so far had no trouble with them at all.

Now I need to get my home number changed. Talk Talk say it is up to BT to issue new numbers and BT say chat to Talk Talk, and so the circle goes

Anyone got any help or had to do this before

Cheers:confused:

If you pay your line rental to Talk Talk then BT have no responsibilty to you at all, all your dealings should be with Talk Talk.
    However they are correct in saying that BT issue new numbers, actually it is Openreach that carry out the work, but it is Talk Talk that should organise this for you, and most likely charge you for the privilege.
  • If you pay your line rental to Talk Talk then BT have no responsibilty to you at all, all your dealings should be with Talk Talk.
    However they are correct in saying that BT issue new numbers, actually it is Openreach that carry out the work, but it is Talk Talk that should organise this for you, and most likely charge you for the privilege.

Cheers for the reply, I don't mind paying a fee, it's just getting them to sort it that I want.

Anyone have ideas what I should quote at them to get them to do it
  • BexTech
    BexTech Posts: 4,772 Forumite
    TalkTalk are awful to deal with, it's a case of persisting until you get someone who has at least some clue what they are doing.

They try and do as little as possible as they don't like to have to pay Open Reach for anything more than a couple of quid, hence they say BT have to do this and BT have to do that, when in fact they can do it, it's just that they don't want to pay and don't want the hassle of passing any charges on to the end customer.
    It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
    (OK my English isn't great, the sciences, maths & IT are my strong points!)
  • And here the chase starts again, this is from their CS dept thismorning

Thank you for your email regarding the change of your telephone number.

I would like to advise you that you will need to contact the police for
    a crime reference number and then get in to contact with BT then they
    will be able to action your request.

Why would I report a crime that does not exist.......... nice of talk talk to waste police time
  • BexTech
    BexTech Posts: 4,772 Forumite
    And here the chase starts again, this is from their CS dept thismorning

Why would I report a crime that does not exist.......... nice of talk talk to waste police time

This is TalkTalk are they are known for being useless. This is one of the many reasons it is recommended to people not to move line rental away from BT unfortunately.
    It's PAC not PAC Code, it's MAC not MAC Code, it's PIN not PIN Number, it's ATM not ATM Machine, it's LCD not LCD Display, it's DVD not DVD disc... It's no one not noone, It's a lot not alot, It's got not gotten... Panini is the plural of panino - there is no S!!
    (OK my English isn't great, the sciences, maths & IT are my strong points!)
  • OMG, i've been trying to change my number with Talk Talk since 11.30 this morning and finally at 2.30...success!

Spoken to BT who do it for free when you tranfer your service to them or even for free when you are their customer. Spoken to the Police but was reluctant to tie them up in more paper work for a non-existant crime they have no chance of resolving.

Had to ring countless times and then be passed around the houses even more times and finally threatened to leave them before i was getting anywhere. They wanted to charge me either £69.99 or £150.00 but managed to get it for free in the end. Result, thank you Talk Talk at long last.
  • kat13 wrote: »
    OMG, i've been trying to change my number with Talk Talk since 11.30 this morning and finally at 2.30...success!

Spoken to BT who do it for free when you tranfer your service to them or even for free when you are their customer. Spoken to the Police but was reluctant to tie them up in more paper work for a non-existant crime they have no chance of resolving.

Had to ring countless times and then be passed around the houses even more times and finally threatened to leave them before i was getting anywhere. They wanted to charge me either £69.99 or £150.00 but managed to get it for free in the end. Result, thank you Talk Talk at long last.
    what number did you call?
  • 1jim
    1jim Posts: 2,663 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    wow thats great, we wanted to change numbers a few months ago and talktalk wouldnt, they said they only did this with a crime reference number and since I had no desire to contact the police I have made up my mind to leave them. Might be worth trying again though
  • DVardysShadow
    DVardysShadow Posts: 18,949 Forumite
    BexTech wrote: »
    This is TalkTalk are they are known for being useless. This is one of the many reasons it is recommended to people not to move line rental away from BT unfortunately.
    1jim wrote: »
    wow thats great, we wanted to change numbers a few months ago and talktalk wouldnt, they said they only did this with a crime reference number and since I had no desire to contact the police I have made up my mind to leave them. Might be worth trying again though
    What a bunch of cretins! No wonder BT can get away with being bad.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure