TheTracker Posts: 1,223 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Yes, you're welcome to a free Leith ;)

We'll give you Norfolk for it.
  • Jibeddy
    Jibeddy Posts: 86 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    dunstonh wrote: »
    EU have said that Scotland cannot retain EU membership. They would need to apply. If they do get EU membership, they would not be able to offer financial services to the rUK. It works both ways. UK cannot access EU and EU cannot access UK.

There is also the possibility that in a leave vote, Scotland itself could end up broken up with regions of Scotland voting to remain using the same argument Sturgeon has been using back at her and being partitioned off to stay in the UK. Scenarios are endless. Edinburgh could end up staying in the UK and leaving Scotland.

However, back into reality, this is not an issue to be concerned with now or even immediate future. No decisions should be made now on leaving Scottish companies.

This is just pure gold, bravo!
  • SteveG787
    SteveG787 Posts: 36 Forumite
    I just love these discussions me.

My two scots penny worths -

The UK came into being with the "Union with England Act" 1707 joining the Kingdoms of Scotland and England. Seems to me if Scotland became independent then there would no longer be a UK to be within the Jurisdiction of.
  • kidmugsy
    kidmugsy Posts: 12,709 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    SteveG787 wrote: »

The UK came into being with the "Union with England Act" 1707 joining the Kingdoms of Scotland and England. Seems to me if Scotland became independent then there would no longer be a UK to be within the Jurisdiction of.

No, the act formed a kingdom called Great Britain. The acts of 1800 formed a United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
  • SteveG787
    SteveG787 Posts: 36 Forumite
    No, the act formed a kingdom called Great Britain. The acts of 1800 formed a United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

Ok, but
    a) That was repealed by Ireland (but not Great Britain).
    b) It could be argued that if Scotland left Great Britain by repeal of the 1707 act that either
    1) The 1800 act is thus null and void. Or
    2) That Union is as much belonging to Scotland as England and so could still exist between Scotland and Ireland.
  • Jon_W
    Jon_W Posts: 108 Forumite
    Ok, but
    b) It could be argued that if Scotland left Great Britain by repeal of the 1707 act that either
    2) That Union is as much belonging to Scotland as England and so could still exist between Scotland and Ireland.

Not necessarily, because:

1. Only Westminster could repeal either or both of the Acts of union
    2. If these repeals take place to 'free' Scotland, the relevant Act could amend the 1800 Act to say that Wales, Northern Ireland and England shall be known as 'the United Kingdom'.
    3. As regarding your point 2) international law doesn't work like that - Scotland would be an entirely new state and have no unions, memberships or treaty agreements with any other state
  • Yes - do it now! It may be too late soon and those canny Scots will grab all your money.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Ok, but

....but then who gets Wales ??:rotfl:
  • jdw2000
    jdw2000 Posts: 418 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post

How is England joined to Northern Ireland then?
  • MiserlyMartin
    MiserlyMartin Posts: 2,236 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Sturgeon is a complete fruitcake. She seems to have forgotten the Scots just had a 'once in 100 years referendum' as the SNP stated themselves and they voted No to independence by a large enough margin!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure