PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• shanks77
    shanks77 Posts: 1,182 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Charley and Pooky so sorry to hear the loss of your fur babies xx
  • Ellidee, thanks for that link. I think many of us on here are motivated by having had to clear a parent's home, and/or by the thought that someone will one day have to clear our own.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • daisy_1571
    daisy_1571 Posts: 1,203 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 4 September 2017 at 8:49AM
    Charly, wmf, pooky and wednesday so sorry for your losses, by gum those furries don't half leave a big hole behind xxxx

Daisy
    2022: 3🏅 4⭐ 2023: 5🎖🏅🏅 🎖🏅6 ⭐⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion. Take hold of every moment - anon I'm a clutterbug butterfly 🦋 The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today Well organised clutter is still clutter - Joshua Becker If you aren't already using something in your home, you won't start using it more by shoving it in a cupboard- AJMoney
  • loocyloo
    loocyloo Posts: 265 Forumite
    I meant to post this here.

Typical! My husband is a lot more hoarder-like than I am and he chose to keep his old stereo instead of getting a new one. I said to him that I bet when he gets it out of storage that it won't even work. He tried to get it to work yesterday and it is broken in some way!:mad: It is from the 1990s and is huge, it has been taking up about half a cupboard to store it along with the giant speakers. He now wants to try and fix it rather than buying a new smaller one.

So annoying.:rotfl:

I am SOOOO with you! We have 3 old computers in the loft - boxes, monitors and goodness knows what else ... DH got them down in APRIL ... to give one to a friend ... NONE of them work ... he has spent time and money trying - but no, they are DEAD ... so why are they still sitting on the dining room table?? !!! ( admittedly we don't use dining room to eat it .. it is more my office, but still! ) ... DH doesn't want to get rid of them ... yet ....
  • MrsPorridge
    MrsPorridge Posts: 2,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Over the weekend I have folded and organised my underwear drawer. I had a shock this morning when I looked in saw how wonderfully neat and easy it was to locate a pair of pants - I didn't miss the usual rummaging and then forcing stuff back to close the drawer.

We are going away at the end of the week and I have already ironed and rolled most of the clothes I'm taking and packed them already! The suitcase looks so neat and tidy.

Just about to pop out with a 2 bags for the CS.
    Debt free and Keeping on Track
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Wednesday and Loocyloo - I've got one of those too! We've 4 large speakers on brackets in the corners of our sitting room - one of them went crackly so I suggested they be replaced with a modern system .........no! He's bought 2 to replace the crackly pair and they're bigger than the old ones :( I was hoping for a small Sonos speaker.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,900 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    All my guests have left, and we have the house to ourselves again, yippee! Don't get me wrong, I like having guests, but it upsets my daily routine and I work better with a daily routine. Tonight and tomorrow evening I have to go to primary school related events, but after that, the evenings are my own again. They left yesterday and the bedding is already in the machine (I wasn't home until 5pm and so tired that I slept for an hour, threw something together for dinner, and went to bed).
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • I'm sorry to those who have lost little furry ones. When we lost our ratties, I couldn't even look at the corner where the cage had been :(

On a Kondoing note, I had a quick once over of the bookshelves yesterday and identified several books that could leave. In fact all of the books came from a friend who moved abroad. They were lovely factual hard back books but probably more suited to a family with children who need reference books.

I also Kondoed a couple of crafty bits into a gift bag. This also meant that I had finished a crochet project that needed to be gone, so a double win :)
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • He did actually get the old stereo to work, eventually!:D I wanted to listen to some relaxing music like classical, guided visualisation etc...but once the stereo was fixed we realised we didn't have any blank discs to put the music onto! We had to order some more discs from Am*zon. Grr.

I have to take some bottles to the bottle bank later today if I feel up to it. They are annoying me as they are making the kitchen look slovenly.

I had a burst of energy last night and went through the cupboards to see what tins were needed for the winter store. I found out of date stock cubes which were binned. I also had to throw away some courgettes. I have to keep on top of the fridge veggies. I'm going to use up some of the mountain of carrots to make red lentil and carrot soup for lunch today. It's quite damp and chilly here today.
  • And lo, all over the land there was stirring and rustling in garages, sheds, lofts and outbuildings. And all the defunct solar lights, non-working dvd players and stereos, the broken strimmers and lawnmowers, the rechargeable batteries that have stopped charging and the computers that are obsolete, the printers that stopped working but might work again with the right cartridge, the video machines that might be of historic value one day and the electronic games that were the most-wanted Christmas present that year and cost a small fortune .... yea they all arose and magically healed themselves and began working again.

No, me neither. :rotfl: Chuck 'em out and enjoy the space!
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure