Two CCJs in one month

Hi all,

This is my first post and I am looking for some advice.

Admittedly, I don't have great credit but I have been working on paying back debts and have got to a decent place. However, I moved out of my parents house a very long time ago.

In the last 2 months, I have received notice of two CCJs. I thought they were both linked and contacted the company, and arranged a way to pay out of court. I thought this was resolved but then received a further letter from the same court for another debt - both of which were from 5+ years ago.

So now I have two pay back arrangements in place and I am currently renting. I have a couple of questions.

1. If I change my circumstances and am able to pay back quicker than the set instalments, does that make a difference?
2. as I have received both in the last month, is there anything I can do to contest them now?
3. will this effect my job? ie could I be fired?
4. how much trouble will I have going forward looking to rent etc.

I feel at a total loss and I don't know who I can turn to or tell - I feel like this is about as bad as it can get as all I read is that CCJs will stop renting and credit etc so is there any light at the end of the tunnel? The worst thing is that they aren't even for a lot of money really, and I feel like I could have done a lot more before it got to this point if I had of received the post.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• See below...
    charlie_27 wrote: »

1. If I change my circumstances and am able to pay back quicker than the set instalments, does that make a difference? No you are free to do that if you wish
    2. as I have received both in the last month, is there anything I can do to contest them now? Are you liable for them? Do you actually owe it? If you pay them off in full within 1 calendar month of issue then they will not appear on yoru credit file. If not, they will remain there for 6 years
    3. will this effect my job? ie could I be fired? No - unless you are maybe in some high-flying financial role
    4. how much trouble will I have going forward looking to rent etc. As per point 2. Agencies tend to credit check people for liability etc. You will also have difficulty with applying for bank accounts, credit cards, loans, mobile phone contracts, mortgages, some utility providers, tv and broadband... etc

Thanks in advance.
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Hi charlie_27

Welcome to the forum. There are a just a couple of things I would add. When the CCJ is paid off you can have the CCJ marked as satisfied on your credit file. It will still be recorded for 6 years but a paid CCJ looks better than an outstanding one. Having said that, if you can pay the whole of the CCJ within a month of it being made it will not be recorded on your credit file.

If you have grounds to argue you are not liable for the debt, and you act promptly, you could try applying for a set aside. That's where you ask the court to allow the court process to begin again, giving you the chance to enter a defence. There are fees to apply, and you could incur costs if not successful, so it's best to speak to one of the free debt advice agencies about the set aside process first. You can also find information on how it works here https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/factsheets/Pages/howtosetasideacountycourtjudgment/settingasideaccj.aspx

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure