Urgent stolen passport

Options
I was burgled last night and my travel wallet with passport stolen, I fly to montenegro weds am!
On checking the passport website it looks that I can’t get a replacement for a week and that’s on fast track! Does anyone have a similar experience and an I correct in thinking my travel plans are doomed?

Comments

• IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    edited 30 September 2017 at 8:09PM
    Options
    There is a one day service, if you can get an appointment.

https://www.gov.uk/get-a-passport-urgently

Scrub that, a lost passport can't be replaced on the day, and you don't qualify for an emergency travel document. Sorry :(
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I think your travel plans are doomed. :(

Have you reported your passport as stolen?
  • ashpan
    ashpan Posts: 335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes police came last night
  • shaun_from_Africa
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Have you reported your passport as stolen?
    ashpan wrote: »
    Yes police came last night

Even though you've reported it to the police, you still have to report it as stolen to the UK passport office (assuming that it is a UK passport).
    https://www.gov.uk/report-a-lost-or-stolen-passport

Hopefully you have travel insurance which will cover some or all of your losses due to the passport being stolen.
  • ashpan
    ashpan Posts: 335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Annoyingly #first direct travel insurance don’t cover either stolen passport refund or loss of holiday due to stolen passport, goes without saying I won’t be renewing next year, most would assume this is a given!
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Any chance your employers would write you a chit to get a second passport for international travel?

As it's permissible, just not advertised & you could then get a one day emergency issue & still get away.

Best of luck!
  • Pollycat
    Options
    ashpan wrote: »
    Annoyingly #first direct travel insurance don’t cover either stolen passport refund or loss of holiday due to stolen passport, goes without saying I won’t be renewing next year, most would assume this is a given!
    I wouldn't assume anything was covered in an insurance policy

Before dumping First Direct it might be worth comparing policies.
    Any chance your employers would write you a chit to get a second passport for international travel?

As it's permissible, just not advertised & you could then get a one day emergency issue & still get away.

Best of luck!
    The OP may have difficulty convincing the passport agency that he is a frequent business traveller even if his employer was willing to do this
  • yellowmug
    yellowmug Posts: 42 Forumite
    Options
    A second passport would take too long to get, even if the OP did qualify.

What an awful thing to happen. In your shoes I would be on the phone to the passport office first thing with your crime number. It does say you can't use the fast track service for a stolen passport but in practice if you can go and wait at one of the passport offices you might be able to get it in time. It's worth a try.

I would also expect a passport to be covered in the circumstances you mention. V poor.
  • Pollycat
    Options
    yellowmug wrote: »
    I would also expect a passport to be covered in the circumstances you mention. V poor.
    That's why it's worth checking what each policy covers and deciding what elements you are willing to pay to be covered for.
    Making assumptions when taking out any insurance is a bad idea.
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    That's why it's worth checking what each policy covers and deciding what elements you are willing to pay to be covered for.
    Making assumptions when taking out any insurance is a bad idea.

I think it's a reasonable assumption for most travel policies to cover this, I'm pretty careful when checking most documents but wouldn't guarantee that I'd pick this up.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure