Paying for mistakes

I've recently been paid £75 as a gesture of goodwill by my credit card company - I sent them two cheques to pay my monthly bill that they then lost (2nd one recorded delivery) - working on the principal that they are quick enough to charge me when I make a mistake I invoiced them £100 using their own charging guidelines as a basis. I'm hoping that their admin gets worse
::)

Comments

• Ooooo.....nice one!

You will keep us posted on this. Nothing like money
    for Christmas from a credit card co.!

Peter
    Smile and be happy, things can usually get worse!
  • Excellent.

They must hate tasting their own medicine!!!

MLC.
    Mortgage Feb 2001 - £129,000
    Mortgage July 2007 - £0
    Original Mortgage Termination Date - Nov 2018
    Mortgage Interest saved - £63790.60
    ISA Profit since Jan 1st 2015 - 98.2% (updated 1 Dec 2020)
  • johnllew
    johnllew Posts: 1,928 Forumite
    May we know which company? Handy for future reference!
  • mos26
    mos26 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Appreciate the interest but I'd rather not name the company, to be fair they did move to put things right quickly when they realised exactly what the problem was. I've had letters and a phone call since just to make sure everything was ok, not exactly the actions of a cowboy outfit. I pay by debit card now over the phone as I'm not trusting anything else to their post room. Of interest I've charged about £300 in the last 18 months to various banks and financial organisations when they make mistakes that they would have made me pay for - a brief explanatory letter with the word INVOICE stuck on top works wonders, don't forget to quote their own charges and tell them who to make the cheque payable to
    ;D
  • td_007
    td_007 Posts: 1,212 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    That’s fantastic mos26. Can you give us an example of the letter and how you estimate the charges.
  • mos26
    Hi, happy to include an example - nothing clever, it is important to get the details of the problem right though:

An example

INVOICE

Dear sir,
    as you are aware there have recently been some errors on my account.
    <<DETAILS OF ERRORS>>
    On this occaision the level of service has fallen below that which I normally receive
    and expect to receive from a professional financial service provider.
    As I have had to spend time and effort in dealing with this <<INSERT>> error I would
    be grateful if you would accept this invoice for my time. I am charging £50 based on
    a calculation of £25 per hour of my own time spent dealing with the above matters.
    Please make the cheques payable (or credit my account) and forward to me within 14 days
    and I shall consider this matter closed,

yours sincerely

mos26

I hope this helps.
    ::)
  • Just playing devil's advocate, but wouldn't it have been better use of your very valuable time to have set up a direct debit to pay off the statement balance when you took out the card??
    Ethical moneysaver
  • mos26
    Sure, but you're missing the point - I did everything on time, their post room lost the payments. Thats what the scheduler on the PC is for, to let you know when things are due. None of the errors that I billed for:

Lost cheques,
    Unpaid DD because they put in the wrong details
    Bounced cheque while more than sufficient funds in my account
    Failure to follow a transfer requset etc

would have been prevented by having a DD in place...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure