NST October Finding Your Inner ferret

Comments

• x_raphael_xx
    x_raphael_xx Posts: 4,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 6 October 2016 at 1:24PM
    Calling14 wrote: »
    Joined the library today and grabbed couple of books in between dashing to the bank for work - so not sure what I have got:eek: Anyone recommend any books (not scary please).
    What are you into? I love the Redwall series by Brian Jacques, probably more aimed at teenagers. Mice, rabbits and badgers battling evil rats and foxes.
    Michael Crichton is my all time favourite author - sci-thriller. He wrote Jurrasic Park, which is the first book I read, and how I got into his books. Prey, Airframe and Micro are my suggestions. He can get quite techie at times which tend to go over my head until I've read the book 2-3 times. Pirate Latitudes was his last book and was a completely different style. I loved it.
    I'm currently reading through The Wheel of Time series. I'm on book 6 of 14! Classic good magic against dark magic stuff.

mothernerd wrote: »
    She has suggested that I give up work (self employed craft worker) for the time being and apply for ESA, with a sick note I should be put in the support group. Then I could concentrate on getting better, getting fit and enjoying life more - I am getting some 'fight' back, feel I am exisiting rather than living and I want and deserve more.
    Sometimes you need a little break, to concentrate on getting better and looking after yourself. Do what you need to do, not what you feel you should.

I'd feel bad keeping it. That's why i phoned the bank last Monday. Hopefully it can be returned soon to its rightful owner. Surely they must have noticed by now and there must be a pay in slip or sth with my details on it. I hope the person that paid in realises the mistake because from my side they cant trace it back as it was a cash deposit.
    Maybe if you don't hear back, donate all or some to charity if you feel bad??
    I once had a phone call from the bank saying some money had been paid in by mistake and would it be okay to take it out again. This was back in the days when I didn't check my bank regularly so I knew nothing about it until the phone call.

[STRIKE]NSD no. 5 for me today.[/STRIKE] Just remembered I spent £0.39 on carrots :o
    Carpet fitters have been and gone, the fitters wanted cash so BF paid. (I paid for the actual carpet so this was his half)
    Had my music lesson, but cost is calculated into bills, so not a spend by my rules.

Slow cooker is full of venison stew and I have tackled this weeks mini challenge by taking stock of the medicine draw. We have plenty of supplies so all good there.
    I also found a couple of those mini handwarmers in the draw, the kind where you snap the little metal bit and it heats up. As I am a bit chilly today, and refuse to put the heating on until the depths of winter I thought I would give them a go.
    I pressed the little metal thingy, and nothing happened, pressed it a couple of times, trying to hear the 'click' as per the instructions, nothing. Carried on looking thru the drawer then glanced down into my hand again.
    The goo had started turning white, which startled me so much I threw it on the floor!
    I'm a little disappointing thou, it's not really 'warm' just 'not cold'. I was expecting a little more heat, so will probably break out the hot water bottle.
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!

EF Challenger #3 £138.36 / £5000
    MFW 2024 #100 £00.00 / £10,000

MFiT #40 Jan 2025 Target - £99,999.00
    Mortgage at 30/09/22 £113,694.11 | Mortgage at 24/01/23 £110,707.87
    Mortgage at 21/04/23 £107,701.01 | Mortgage at 20/07/23 £106,979.65
    Mortgage at 04/10/23 £106,253.77 | Mortgage at 10/01/24 £105,324.57
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    NSD 4/15
    Lunch to work 3.15
    outdoors/exercise cycled dds to school, even though it was only 5C outside!
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 6 October 2016 at 6:14PM
    Hello,

phoned the bank again about the mysterious deposit and again they seemed very surprised, didn't make a note on my account and just told me to wait as cash can't be traced back. Oh, well, read somewhere you need to wait six years. Fine with me, atm it's in a 5% account ;)

After fees and postage only made £38 on ebay, but better than nothing, paid for my new used lens. My old one pays for recent purchases.

Recently an item didn't arrive but the harsh response from the seller (I definitely sent it and it was only a fiver) put me off putting in a request as he would have been troublesome anyway. Just received a 1920s wristwatch (£6 incl postage) but it didn't work and smelled rank. So I just emailed the seller pointing this out without opening a request and he offered to take it back at all cost. Not all bad then.

NSD today but need a few things tomorrow like milk and bread.

EDITGo#h i feel like and idiot. Doh. The mysterious money was my own. Got a letter today saying they merged one of my older online savers with my new flex saver. Hiw did i not botice that. I guess it was still there when i paid into it.
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • Mothernerd - I think a dog would be a good idea. I have to confess to being a cat lady, but the joy and comfort I get from the cats makes a world of difference to me. I love having pets...
    I thought I'd reported in yesterday but maybe not. I had my thyroid scan, and there is definitely a swelling there. The sonographer doesn't think it's anything suspicious - hopefully we'll get some answers from the blood tests which I'm having on Monday.
    Today's happy dance is because I remembered to get dinner oven ready so I've not had to do much since I got home. :j
  • x_raphael_xx
    x_raphael_xx Posts: 4,318 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    EDITGo#h i feel like and idiot. Doh. The mysterious money was my own. Got a letter today saying they merged one of my older online savers with my new flex saver. Hiw did i not botice that. I guess it was still there when i paid into it.

:rotfl:At least you now know it's safe to spend!
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!

EF Challenger #3 £138.36 / £5000
    MFW 2024 #100 £00.00 / £10,000

MFiT #40 Jan 2025 Target - £99,999.00
    Mortgage at 30/09/22 £113,694.11 | Mortgage at 24/01/23 £110,707.87
    Mortgage at 21/04/23 £107,701.01 | Mortgage at 20/07/23 £106,979.65
    Mortgage at 04/10/23 £106,253.77 | Mortgage at 10/01/24 £105,324.57
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,670 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 8 October 2016 at 2:21PM
    Wow greent, just noticed your signature. You paid your £120 k mortgage of in only 6 years. Well done!!! How did you manage that. Did you just live of one wage? With 3 kids? EDIT just found your diary, off for a read :)

4 kids ;) Was hard going at times - OH was out of work at one point for 10.5months and his JSA stopped after 6 months :( (Only had contribution based jsa as we have a rental property - at the time the annual rent was around £250 more than our mortgage/ insurance costs, so we made nothing). Worth it now though :D - good job, too - as he hasn't had a work contract since end of Jan :( Lots of hand-me-downs on the boys, lots of ebay selling, cashback etc. And plodded on - when OH was out of work for the long period we still OPd a tiny amount - our mortgage payment was £594.71 and we rounded it up to £600 :D - just paying that tiny bit extra made me feel that we were still trying :)

Haven't checked in for a few days :o

Roundup:
    Learning something new - tried Zumba for the first time today. Messed up some bits but had a good laugh. Will be going again next week :)
    Debt - paid over £1k off OH's CC this month (0%) - money from ebay, cashback, books sent to Ziffit, a job I did back in the summer and just got paid for (half of it) and my very very infrequent part time job :)
    SFD - Have achieved 2 NSDs so far.
    Extra cash - ebaying going well - lots of things leaving and money in my bank :D Still have more listed with a couple of bids and a few more items to list. If I've ordered anything online cashback has been obtained where possible.
    Food budget - have a couple of receipts to add to sig total but they total less than £30.
    No takeaways/ meals out
    Lunch from stores every day (HM soup/ leftovers)
    Have combined journeys
    Have paid for Beavers and Scouts and army camp. Still have guitar lessons to pay for - invoice not yet received.
    Healthy eating - lots of veg being consumed (soups, chilli, curry) No alcohol at all this month (not doing Sober Oct, just don't drink very much)
    Charity - have a regular donation to a wildlife charity. Have few items ready to donate to Foodbank later in month
    Outdoors/ exercise - have been working in the garden every day this week - lots of outdoors. Have shifted compost, planted things, sanded and oiled furniture and made the most of the weather. 'Dedicated' exercise - have been to Zumba and one walk. Daily steps this week (from Mon) are over 10k each day - running total approx. 50k +

HUgs to those needing them xx
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Evening everyone

Today was my first NSD of the month. It's not very likely I'll reach the 15, instead I think I'll just aim for as many as possible. Don't want to put too much pressure on myself!

My exercise consisted of the usual, walking. I found out today the council are running a new spin class that you can take the baby along too and I might see if I can fit that into my schedule next week. It would be nice to get another form of exercise.

Healthy eating today consisted of pasta and spinach for lunch and I had a banana and some strawberries as a snack.

On Thursdays I take the little one to baby massage and then sensory play, meaning for lunch I normally buy a chocolate bar that I can eat on the go but I prepared the pasta and spinach in advance to take with me so for that I will do a wee victory dance :)
    VSPC 2019 #10 - £168.80/£100 VSPC 2020 #4 - £262.03/£200 VSPC 2021 #9 - £242.88/£200 VSPC 2022 #3 - £188.03/£200 VSPC 2023 #7 - £0/£200
  • thriftylass
    thriftylass Posts: 3,981 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    greent your journey is very inspiring. Thanks for sharing. It gave me new motivation.
    DEBT 09/23: CC 6347 5120, Other 1763 NSDs 0/20 Planned debt free date: Dec 2024
  • ljaneyr
    ljaneyr Posts: 1,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Evening everyone,

Not such a good day today, in fact I had a good cry when I got in from work but feeling better now.

Can't claim a NSD as we have bought a pew! Oops! It certainly wasn't a planned spend but I have always wanted one...
    Only 3 of my 5 a day
    No exercise and no extra cash

So all in all not very successful at all...but I have got a new pew :rotfl:

Victory dance:
    tidied up the kitchen and bedroom and got one load of washing on.
    DH has finished grouting the kitchen floor tiles :T

Janey x
    "It is often said that before you die your life passes before your eyes. It is in fact true. It's called living." Terry Pratchett
    Bought our house 2012 :) Married 2015 :D Started renovating 2015 :eek:
    Renovation fund... what renovation fund? :eek: Emergency fund 40% Future fund... ongoing...
  • FurryBeastOz
    FurryBeastOz Posts: 1,380 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 6 October 2016 at 9:42PM
    Yay. Complete NSD. Lunch taken to work.

Meal planned from the freezer for next week. Trying to run it down, but keep getting tempted by bargains - free range chicken thigh fillets. £4.99 for 500g in our Wholefoods on Sunday. Only a penny more than Aldi/Lidl and they definitely aren't free range. Three packs into freezer.

I think I could feed us for about 2 months with what's in there:eek::eek:
    Goals - Weight loss 6/26lb at 22nd Jan 18
    Mmmm. 26lb at 1/7/18. Oops:o
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills