PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Freezer Jenga!

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    My late Dad used to make redcurrant jelly which was delicious on scones and bread and butter , but I can't remember how he made it I'm afraid We had a glut one year in our garden and being a canny Scot he wasn't going to waste them :) He also used to make apple jelly to go on toast and scones as well if we had too many No freezers back in our house in the late 1940s. He made the most delicious soda scones on my late Grannies 'cast iron girdle'on top of the stove .Using up milk that was a bit on the turn these floury soft masterpieces I have never been able to replicate sadly. :)
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,617 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    frozen sweetcorn is OK in something like chowder but other than that tinned all the way.
    I don't even want to think about the freezer at the moment - it is stuffed and I haven't got any Christmas stuff in there yet - and it is 1.8m high so that is a lot of food. It was already pretty full and then I did a muscle meats order and really struggled to house it all - oops! We may never need to buy chicken breasts ever again - but they were a bargain!
    I need to tackle a drawer at a time. Three of the drawers are 'big box' style as I wanted to be able to fit the ice cream maker in there but no chance of that right now. I did start with 1 drawer for ice cream and desserts; one for freezer blocks, ice packs, icepops; one for veg; one for fish; one for meat, bulk cooking and left overs; one for bread/bagels/etc which also held soup; and one for fruit. Now everything is all mixed up to get it all in there. OH got really cross when I sent him down to the cellar to get out a loaf of bread for DD's lunch the next day and he couldn't find one - there is definitely a full loaf in there somewhere.
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,040 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    So I had a re-think about the large gammon joint and decided not to keep it for Christmas as I have already planned my festive catering so a football sized gammon joint on top of that would be way too much.

I simmered the joint last night then roasted it after brushing with a little mustard, a drizzle of runny honey and then (because I couldn't remember what people put on gammon before roasting) I went a bit mad and sprinkled it with cumin and smoked paprika. It is absolutely delicious (well, I had to try a few wafer thin slices as soon as it came out of the oven, didn't I?)

I've changed my meal plan for the next few days to incorporate this - ham, cheese and leek pancakes tonight; ham, egg and chips for Saturday as we're out all day and I'll want to make a simple, quick supper.

By Sunday I hope to have made enough room in the freezer for some individually wrapped slices of ham, plus I might make a ham and cheese quiche and some ham croquettes to freeze too. Sunday is baking day :)
  • JWPopps
    JWPopps Posts: 341 Forumite
    CJ that sounds delicious!!

My issue with freezer space is that I'm so used to living alone, when I could always tell you down to the last sweetcorn kernel what I had in... but my mother is temp. living with me, and she has a hobby I didn't know about: buying food we don't need.

So a bit of freezer jenga has become the norm for me now!!
    Mortgage: £83,000
    Credit Card Debt: £1,700
    Loan Debt: £3,000

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    C_J wrote: »
    I simmered the joint last night then roasted it after brushing with a little mustard, a drizzle of runny honey and then (because I couldn't remember what people put on gammon before roasting) I went a bit mad and sprinkled it with cumin and smoked paprika. It is absolutely delicious (well, I had to try a few wafer thin slices as soon as it came out of the oven, didn't I?)
    Don't know if this is traditional but it's inspired.:T
  • C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,040 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Ha ha - thank you :) I do a lot of random, make-it-up-myself flavour combinations and generally they work quite well. I think I learned my daredevil approach from working for a certain famous chef many years ago. He taught me well.

I love JWPopps' mother's habit of 'buying food we do not need'. I bet she's just trying to be helpful (or is she a hoarder?)

I have come to the conclusion that the reason I get so frustrated with my freezer is that it contains mostly lots of odd bits and leftovers (I hate waste) and ingredients rather than actual meals. I don't have too much problem with batch cooking pies or curry or chilli or whatever - those portioned-up meals get used up regularly. But it's the small bags of chopped up last-bit-of-the-red-pepper or half a handful of curry leaves which seem to clutter it up and languish there for months until they are forgotten.

I'm actually quite looking forward to having a ruthless clear out this weekend and getting all organised. Does that make me a sad person? :)
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Islandmaid wrote: »
    It started with a conversation with a local cheese maker, and I pointed out that it was daft that we could buy Goats milk and goats cheese but not goat meat - they told me there was no call for it, and I said they should try it and they would be surprised.

They tried selling it, and its flying off the shelves :D
    You have flying goats in the IOW?? :eek: I never saw any when we were there! :rotfl:

Re: breadcrumbs - I use them a lot as they are an ingredient in my HM nut loaf. When I want to make this, I just wuzz (technical term there) five slices of the Emergency Sliced Loaf in the food processor. :o

Re: sweetcorn - I can't see the point of it; it doesn't provide any nutrition to speak of, and tastes of nowt. I'd eat it if it was on my plate when I was visiting somewhere, but I wouldn't bother buying it. Just my opinion. ;) Ooh, and corn-on-the-cob is a definite no-no when you have a mucky herbert like Mr LW in the house. :D
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,509 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    LameWolf wrote: »
    You have flying goats in the IOW?? :eek: I never saw any when we were there! :rotfl:

Well you can get Buffalo Wings, so why would Goats not have them :D

I shall be releasing some stew portions and steaks from the freezer this weekend, have managed to slide some pigs in blankets in there by removing from the packaging and laying them out barely touching in a freezer bag.

Will make sweetcorn and chilli soup for work lunches, so that will kill most of one bag of sweetcorn, will buy tinned in future, it's only DS that really likes it when not on the cob :cool:
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • suki1964
    suki1964 Posts: 14,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    JWPopps wrote: »
    CJ that sounds delicious!!

My issue with freezer space is that I'm so used to living alone, when I could always tell you down to the last sweetcorn kernel what I had in... but my mother is temp. living with me, and she has a hobby I didn't know about: buying food we don't need.

So a bit of freezer jenga has become the norm for me now!!

Hold on, just checked, mums in the living room so I know we dont have the same mum :)

Ive all the meals planed, and shes snuck in a half leg of lamb as well as the icecream
  • Living_proof
    Living_proof Posts: 1,921 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    I am guilty of having far too much in my freezers, much of it either unlabelled or poorly labelled. I just cannot resist a bargain but I do vacuum seal meat etc. and only buy vacuum sealed fish which means I don't get freezer burn. I am waiting for a really very hard frost and we will load everything into a black freezer bag or three and put it outside for a while whilst we reorganise and take an inventory although a lot of it will be guesswork. I have a tall Beko in the garage and a Bosch f/f in the kitchen, and OH has his own house and own f/f. I think we must have 500-600 litres of storage between us, and then of course there is the overflow into OH's DS's freezer! A small amount will be used over Christmas, but it would take months to run it down...
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    [SIZE Givenergy 9.5 battery added July 23
    [/SIZE]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family