Kittens, Vet and no car

Options
So we're getting two kittens in a couple of weeks (pictures to come!)

We don't have a car (I'm learning to drive, we'll get there). Our nearest vet is less than a mile away, and it's not a distance I would give a second thought to walking, but...

Am I being naïve thinking we can walk that with the kittens in carriers? I know every cat is a different temperament etc, but in general? Anyone else carry their cat to the vet?
In a better financial position than ever before (thank you MSE!). Moved back to Scotland and now trying to keep debt-free!

Comments

• TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    It depends on the cats and how distressed they get.

If they are upset then walking means that they are going to be distressed for longer, so in that case, it might be kinder to get a taxi so that the amount of time involved is less.

BEar in mind that if you are carrying them then the motion won't be very smooth - I've found withh all of my cas that they mind more about the bits a the start and end of a trip when I'm carrying them than the bits in between when we're in the car - I think it is harder for them to keep their balance, and more disorientating, so more stressful for them.

Maybe trying carrying them short distances round the house in the carrier to see how they react, first?
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
  • Maggie_Bob
    Options
    Thanks Bagpuss - I did wonder about doing a 'trial run' by carrying them about the house a bit. Now I'm starting to understand why 'crazy cat ladies' have a pram with their cats in it! We can get a taxi, or there's even a local bus service to right outside the vets (once we know how they do with being out and about in their carrier)

Hopefully I'll be able to judge their temperament from getting them home (my sister is driving us for that one) and being around them for a while. Eek!
    In a better financial position than ever before (thank you MSE!). Moved back to Scotland and now trying to keep debt-free!
  • SensibleSarah
    Options
    I didn't have a car until I'd had cats for years. It was a couple of miles to my vet back then and believe me, those kittens get heavy after a while :)

Mine didn't get particularly stressed being carried that way, in fact they whinge much more when I take them in the car now! Obviously the most important thing is making sure your carrier is secure - worst nightmare for it to come apart when walking through a strange area etc.

I got a taxi a couple of times with them, but one of mine used to get car sick and so scared in the car he pooped himself - the smell didn't please the taxi driver very much! He was much less stressed being carried by me walking with the carrier.
  • missbiggles1
    missbiggles1 Posts: 17,481 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can get cat carriers with wheels, which might help.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You can get cat carriers with wheels, which might help.

Or one with a strap.

We have one that is canvas and mesh and has a shoulder strap. I have mobility problems and so I can throw the bag strap over my shoulder, hold the handle on the top with one hand and hold the bag close to my body with the other hand. This stops the case from bouncing about (I worry about being thrown of balance by the cat moving around).

We have something like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ME-MY-PORTABLE-FABRIC-FOLDING-PET-CAGE-CARRIER-FOR-CAT-DOG-RABBIT-PUPPY-KENNEL-/330867128518
  • Maggie_Bob
    Maggie_Bob Posts: 280 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You've all reassured me so much - thank you! We've got a good carrier with a shoulder strap (to be upgraded to two carriers very soon once they're too big), so we'll see how we go carrying them around home in that and then to the vet if they're not fazed by it. :D
  • Jojo_the_Tightfisted
    Options
    Maggie_Bob wrote: »
    You've all reassured me so much - thank you! We've got a good carrier with a shoulder strap (to be upgraded to two carriers very soon once they're too big), so we'll see how we go carrying them around home in that and then to the vet if they're not fazed by it. :D

Bear in mind that a lot of cats complain loudly about such expeditions, no matter how long, short or comfortable they are. I avoided the abject horror my first cats expressed at such indignities with the Idiot Cat by leaving the carrier in a corner with a blanket in, so he associated it with somewhere snug for sleep - when it came to his Expeditions of Doom, he was merely perturbed by his nice little house being carried outside, so whilst he was still distinctly unimpressed by the softly spoken lady sticking pointy things in him and up him :cool:, he viewed the house as the one safe bit of the whole experience. He just hunkers down and glares at the world for the walk - other than when a loose dog in the waiting room decided to say hello. Then the loose dog found out that sticking his nose into the grille meant it got walloped with five pointy cat bits. :p

Compare it to the previous occupants, one of whom howled and wailed every moment of his confinement, much to the amusement of the kids on the same bus on their way to school - he shut up when the kids started wailing back at him and giggling.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • Bluebell1000
    Bluebell1000 Posts: 1,074 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    We put our cat carrier into the buggy for vet trips. One of our cats gets very upset with car journeys, but does't mind being pushed along quite as much!
  • Maggie_Bob
    Maggie_Bob Posts: 280 Forumite
    Options
    Bear in mind that a lot of cats complain loudly about such expeditions, no matter how long, short or comfortable they are. I avoided the abject horror my first cats expressed at such indignities with the Idiot Cat by leaving the carrier in a corner with a blanket in, so he associated it with somewhere snug for sleep - when it came to his Expeditions of Doom, he was merely perturbed by his nice little house being carried outside, so whilst he was still distinctly unimpressed by the softly spoken lady sticking pointy things in him and up him :cool:, he viewed the house as the one safe bit of the whole experience. He just hunkers down and glares at the world for the walk - other than when a loose dog in the waiting room decided to say hello. Then the loose dog found out that sticking his nose into the grille meant it got walloped with five pointy cat bits. :p

:rotfl: That poor loose dog though!

Yup, the plan is to have the carrier as a fixture in the house, just another bed/hidey hole for them :beer:
  • purple12
    purple12 Posts: 304 Forumite
    Options
    Bit late but we didn't have a car when we got our cat (he was a kitten - now he's grown) and I walked to the vet with him in the carrier for the first and second inoculations and once when he was sick (all before he was about 9 months old though when we did get a car!). He didn't seem terribly troubled by the walk (about 15 mins each way). I put a blanket and some treats in there as well as a toy. But he dozed. It would be more difficult now as he's much heavier but if I had to, I would.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure