Minimum amount the government says I can live on?

Hi, I'm currently in the midst of an administration mess with the housing benefit people - long story. Anyway, can anyone tell me what the minimum amount is that the government says that I can live on? Thanks.

Comments

• healy
    healy Posts: 5,293
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    It depends on your circumstances but if you are a single adult over 25 with no disabilities it is £64.30 a week.

More details here:

http://www.benefitsnow.co.uk/jsa/rates.asp
  • parapusher
    parapusher Posts: 128 Forumite
    From my experience, the minimum amount the government says you need to live on, varies for each benefit.
  • LizzieS_2
    LizzieS_2 Posts: 2,948 Forumite
    If you owe any money to HB (or anywhere else for that matter), there is a limit to what can be taken off benefits.
  • form
    form Posts: 1 Newbie
    I have been accussed of benefit fraud. I have 2 young children 1 of 3 months old and 1 of 5yrs old. I am a full time single mother and all my benefits has stopped. The reason is my childrens father ex partner called up maliciously as she is a woman scorned. I ive on my own with 2 children.Their father comes to see them once a week and helps out with the kids.
    I am appealing at the moment but have gone down to my last £10 and have been told that I could claim a crisis loan but no guarantee I will get it as this case is going on.
    How do I feed my children? HELP??
  • baza52
    baza52 Posts: 3,029
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    ask their father to help.
  • moodydonkey
    moodydonkey Posts: 5,218 Forumite
    form wrote: »
    I have been accussed of benefit fraud. I have 2 young children 1 of 3 months old and 1 of 5yrs old. I am a full time single mother and all my benefits has stopped. The reason is my childrens father ex partner called up maliciously as she is a woman scorned. I ive on my own with 2 children.Their father comes to see them once a week and helps out with the kids.
    I am appealing at the moment but have gone down to my last £10 and have been told that I could claim a crisis loan but no guarantee I will get it as this case is going on.

Could you request your child benfit to be paid weekly? This may help, also maintenance from the father.
    Sadly, you don't have any badges yet but keep trying! See what you could get........... oh boo hoo I am crying into my wine. :D
  • thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    form wrote: »

Form - how does the children's father pay maintenance for them? If he comes to see them once a week, then for the time being, I suggest that you ask him to pay for groceries/nappies etc. And as has already been suggested, ask that your CB be paid weekly - that should be of some temporary help.

If you can refute the accusation that you are living with the children's father, then your benefits will be reinstated.

If on the other hand, you cannot prove that he does not live with you, then he is going to have to support you and his children. In any case, he should be supporting his children.
  • andyandflo
    andyandflo Posts: 791 Forumite
    thorsoak wrote: »
    Form - how does the children's father pay maintenance for them? If he comes to see them once a week, then for the time being, I suggest that you ask him to pay for groceries/nappies etc. And as has already been suggested, ask that your CB be paid weekly - that should be of some temporary help.

If you can refute the accusation that you are living with the children's father, then your benefits will be reinstated.

If on the other hand, you cannot prove that he does not live with you, then he is going to have to support you and his children. In any case, he should be supporting his children.

Absolutley!! I like many thousands of others have supported our children and still do so even if they are married and 29 years old!

Tell him to get his hand in his pocket!!

• Okay.
    I thought that the worst was over. Not telling me my benefit stop date. Stopped any money for 4 weeks
    Now just waiting for an appeal date from HMCS.
    Medication doubled.

However. I was wondering why I was running out of money every week. I put it down to putting me back on two weekly payments... now it appears I cant count...

Up untill my Income Support date I recieved £ 151.65 weekly
    After payment restart I have received £245.60 fortnightly.

So on the date I had my benefit stopped the Minimum amount the government says I can live on? was £151.65 a week.

The day after
    It would appear the Minimum amount the government says I can live on?
    is now £ 122.80

Now thats magic!
  • fluffymovie
    fluffymovie Posts: 1,417
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 15 March 2012 at 8:36PM
    It's not magic, that looks like a disability premium has been removed.

Are you on long term incapacity benefit,

Just realised how sad it is that I knew that from memory!! Healy, here is the HB circular which shows 2011/12 and 12/13. £64.30 was year before last. It's 67.50 until 1 April when it increases to 71.

Op, they have removed a disability premium so that's the difference

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/a1-2012.pdf
    I currently manage a Housing Benefit service and have been working in Housing / council tax benefit (as was) since 2001.

All views expressed in my posts are my own opinions and do not necessarily reflect those of my employer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure