• xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    https://skylinemarkets.com/EN/help/faq

Has he closed the account?
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,936 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Binary trading appears to be a field for hardened experts.

It's a field for very stupid or (as here) financially naïve people who have no idea what they are doing.
  • N1AK
    N1AK Posts: 2,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Have a heart he is 19 and whilst technically an adult he has done nothing wrong in asking his Mum for help (that's what parents are for).

Have a spine, you might think parents are for coddling adult children who don't want to deal with relatively minor mistakes but fortunately that isn't a universally held view.
    Having a signature removed for mentioning the removal of a previous signature. Blackwhite bellyfeel double plus good...
  • deniseb90
    deniseb90 Posts: 52 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Again, thanks for all your replies. He has stopped his debit card - albeit with a lot of persuasion from me. As I said before, he has learnt a harsh lesson and yes £200 is a lot for a 19 year old to lose, but he won't make the same mistake again. And as for him sorting it out himself, well yes, in an ideal world he would, but he's my son and I'm angry on his behalf that b*stards like this exploit vulnerable and naive people. We live and learn. Thanks again for the replies, it has helped a lot.
  • iammumtoone
    iammumtoone Posts: 6,377 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    N1AK wrote: »
    Have a spine, you might think parents are for coddling adult children who don't want to deal with relatively minor mistakes but fortunately that isn't a universally held view.

I don't think that parents are for coddling adult children I think people are being unnecessary harsh as he is 19 so therefore think the correct thing is to make him go on his own, I think if he wants a parent to go they should, not because they are his parent but because anyone in that situation might appreciate a bit of moral support.

I am 40 and would still like someone to come with me if I ever got myself in this situation. I could and would go on my own but would ask someone if they would come with me first - I don't think any of my friends would refuse and I would definitely accompany them if they needed it.

If any of your friends got themselves in this situation would you take the same stance and refuse to go with them? You might think it unnecessary but would you be so cruel to refuse.

For the OPs son its not a minor mistake and if I got 'sucked' in as he did I would consider it a minor mistake either, I would be concerned what was going to happen. Identity fraud is not minor (It might all turn out to be above board - but at this stage this nothing is known)
  • bugbyte_2
    bugbyte_2 Posts: 413 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker
    I can confirm 19 year olds make mistakes, and all good parents would help in this situation.

On the back of his card is a 'phone number he can call to put a block on all transactions. He can also get a balance and confirmation of any transactions that have taken place. This should give him peace of mind. The only problem I can see is if they have set up a direct debit as I think they are harder to cancel without the permission of the company it is set up with.

EDIT - Glad he has sorted it.
    Edible geranium
  • deniseb90
    deniseb90 Posts: 52 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    There's no direct debit set up Bugbyte (thank God!) the Santander Fraud Team have been informed too. I've had a p*sser of a day, but you know it's only money, I've told him that, he's more angry about what a wally he's been. Hindsight is a beautiful thing!
  • marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Its an expensive lesson, but no doubt one he has learned. I imagine any future monetary deals will be double checked by him with Mum and Dad before he ever takes such a leap of faith again.

We were all that age once and many of us have been hoodwinked in the past by gullibility, its a part of growing up and learning by our own mistakes.
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • N1AK
    I don't think that parents are for coddling adult children I think people are being unnecessary harsh as he is 19 so therefore think the correct thing is to make him go on his own, I think if he wants a parent to go they should, not because they are his parent but because anyone in that situation might appreciate a bit of moral support.

If any of your friends got themselves in this situation would you take the same stance and refuse to go with them? You might think it unnecessary but would you be so cruel to refuse.

If you need to resort to straw-men to make your position make sense then I suggest you reconsider your position. I hadn't advocated refusing to help, or anything that would be considered cruel by a rational person, I suggested encouraging him to take ownership of resolving it. I worry for you and your children if you can't see the clear difference between supporting someone who want or needs help and encouraging, and expecting, people you have influence over to show self-empowerment.
    Having a signature removed for mentioning the removal of a previous signature. Blackwhite bellyfeel double plus good...
  • N1AK
    deniseb90 wrote: »
    Thanks again for the replies, it has helped a lot.

Glad they've at least been able to limit it to the £200. Try and look at it as an expensive lesson and hope he's learnt it ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure