Getting no info from MBNA

Options
My ex has used a claims company to try and recover PPI.
MBNA have sent us both emails saying that they have found PPI was added to at least one of our accounts and they want us to provide paperwork for that account, but they wont tell us which account, when it was or even what type of account it was.
Over the course of the marriage we had 3 Mortgages, 7 loans and at lease 6 credit/store cards, some of which must have been with MBNA.
We have been apart for over 10 years so all the paperwork from back then is gone.

What is the next step ?
WWSD
(what would Scooby Doo)

Comments

• antrobus
    antrobus Posts: 17,386 Forumite
    Options
    barmonkey wrote: »
    ...Over the course of the marriage we had 3 Mortgages, 7 loans and at lease 6 credit/store cards, some of which must have been with MBNA.

MBNA is a credit card business. To the best of my knowledge it has never done mortgages. Or loans.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,375 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    MBNA would only ask you for paperwork if they have none themselves. If they had any paperwork, they would not be asking for it.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Options
    "Thank you for your letter.

Unfortunately I no longer have the requested information.

barmonkey"
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    My ex has used a claims company to try and recover PPI.
    MBNA have sent us both emails saying that they have found PPI was added to at least one of our accounts and they want us to provide paperwork for that account, but they wont tell us which account, when it was or even what type of account it was

That sounds like E-Mails a claim company would send. No bank would entice in that manner.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,503 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Send a SAR and £10 to MBNA if you don't believe there is no info.

It's a gamble though.

If your ex has got in touch with a claims company, then he is liable to pay for any complaint wholly out of his own pocket should any joint complaint be successful.

What joint products did you have?
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • barmonkey
    barmonkey Posts: 7,159 Forumite
    Options
    That sounds like E-Mails a claim company would send. No bank would entice in that manner.

No, the emails were definitely from MBNA not the claim company.
    WWSD
    (what would Scooby Doo)
  • barmonkey
    Options
    dunstonh wrote: »
    MBNA would only ask you for paperwork if they have none themselves. If they had any paperwork, they would not be asking for it.

They must have some kind of paperwork or records because they say that at least one of our accounts has it.
    WWSD
    (what would Scooby Doo)
  • barmonkey
    Options
    -taff wrote: »
    Send a SAR and £10 to MBNA if you don't believe there is no info.

It's a gamble though.

If your ex has got in touch with a claims company, then she is liable to pay for any complaint wholly out of her own pocket should any joint complaint be successful.

What joint products did you have?

Corrected for you.

We had, as i said above, 3 Mortgages, 7 loans and at lease 6 credit/store cards, although the cards were probably in one persons name with a second user added.
    WWSD
    (what would Scooby Doo)
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,375 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    They must have some kind of paperwork or records because they say that at least one of our accounts has it.

Knowing that an account had PPI on it is not the same as knowing if any PPI premiums were paid.

For example, if you paid the balance off each month, you would not be charged a PPI premium. So, the account could have PPI on it but you never paid a penny.

Also, the PPI may have been started and cancelled. Or it may have been added later.

On all of these, they would know PPI existed on the account but not what or anything you paid. Hence they are asking what info you may have.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,503 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Corrected for you.

Thanks but it doesn't change what I said.
    Send a SAR
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure