Official Receiver looking at bank account?

2»

Comments

• TheGardener
    TheGardener Posts: 3,303 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    It is unusual for them to ask after BR and in normal and straightforward BR's they probably wont bother. However, they have the right to look if they want - and if they have a sniff of suspicion about your affairs you can be assured they will. They can go directly to the banks - they don't have to ask you as you have already signed the waiver.
  • I am going through the whole process of bankruptcy and i have provided everything to date, i have a closed cc, will the OR need statements as i do not have them.
  • luvchocolate
    luvchocolate Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    The O.R will be able to obtain them if needed, just be honest with them.
  • Can i just ask (sorry to butt in) how far back do they look into your bank account history when making your bankruptcy application?!
  • Johno100
    Johno100 Posts: 5,259 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Can i just ask (sorry to butt in) how far back do they look into your bank account history when making your bankruptcy application?!

They won't (and can't) look at anything until a Bankruptcy Order is made.

They'll go back as far as necessary, it's a "how long is a piece of string" question.
  • Hi Everyone,
    Am I understanding this correctly. I'm yet to apply for bankruptcy and have previously opened a new account prior so as not to have no access to my income tested benefit payments as I understand a normal account is frozen. I closed the account due to opening a new one and no longer needing the original one. Will the OR need to look at my previously closed bank account ?
    Many thanks in advance :-)
  • UKSF wrote: »
    ...Will the OR need to look at my previously closed bank account ?

If it was your main account prior to BR - then yes. However, if you haven't got the paperwork - the OR can just go straight to the bank. You providing the paperwork simply makes the OR's life a bit easier and it speeds up the process.
  • db2016
    db2016 Posts: 343 Forumite
    im discharged, and was a simple BR, only on benefits etc. so np IPA i think they call it.

if i did get a job now (like say im discharged as of last month) could they have an interest? would i have to tell them?
    or if i won money or any other way of getting cash (inheiritance etc)? can they still look into my accounts ? using the data protection waiver you mentioned etc

or is it a case of im discharged they wont look at me again or delve into any accounts / i dont have to tell them anything from above? and if so how long can they look into it for?

i'd find it hard to take it say 10 years later i was left some money or whatever and they could delve into accounts or they would want to know!
  • luvchocolate
    luvchocolate Posts: 3,254 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    Hi if you are discharged with no I.P.A then that's it you are home and dry.
    Whatever you come into is yours to keep and do not need to inform the O.R about anything.
    It's all over now just the B.R will show on your credit file for 6 years from your B.R date
  • db2016
    db2016 Posts: 343 Forumite
    thanks!

not that im expecting my circumstances financially to change (except ive appreciated my BR and now manage my money a lot better), but i wanted to double check that the "home and dry" feeling was right!

thanks again
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport