Was this a malicious pop-up?

Comments

• Generally all you need to do is press the home button then go into settings and delete browser history.
    I hate football and do wish people wouldn't keep talking about it like it's the most important thing in the world
  • Pyxis
    Pyxis Posts: 46,077 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Generally all you need to do is press the home button then go into settings and delete browser history.

Thanks.

It was frightening because I'd never seen anything like it before.

At least I'll know for another time!

Thank you, everyone! :)
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox
    Founder Member: 'WIMPS ANONYMOUS' and 'VICTIMS of the RANDOM HEDGEHOG'
    I'm in a clique! It's a clique of one! It's a unique clique!
    I love :eek:

• AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Pyxis wrote: »
    Thank you.

It looks like it's best to delete everything and then check with Apple if in any doubt.

Would taking a screen shot compromise me?
    No. That is just copying the pixels on the screen.

Odds are high the application they wanted you to download was for a PC anyway, since to download it on an iPad it would need to be in the App Store which would be very unlikely.
  • Pyxis
    AnotherJoe wrote: »
    No. That is just copying the pixels on the screen.

Odds are high the application they wanted you to download was for a PC anyway, since to download it on an iPad it would need to be in the App Store which would be very unlikely.

Right.
    I can't remember the exact wording, now, but they did refer to my 'iPad' more than once. A bit later on they called it an iPhone!

The English it was written in was pretty good, but there were one or two places where it didn't sound quite fluent, which made me a bit suspicious that it wasn't from Apple.
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

Her Greenliness Baroness Pyxis of the Alphabetty, Pinnacle of Peadom and Official Brainbox

• AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Its easy for a php/javascript to detect what browser you are using and customise its wording accordingly.

It DEFINATELY wasn't from apple lol ..

If you had followed it through, no doubt you would have landed on the app store page for a dubious security or a/v program, which is either owned by the scumbags who wrote the popup, or they are getting paid per install they generate.

I promise you haven't been hacked
  • zagubov
    zagubov Posts: 17,886 Forumite
    You'll get popups saying you should clean your apple product with mackeeper. You probably shouldn't. Or that you need to download a new version of flash. Unless you visit the genuine flash page itself, you probably shouldn't.

You may even get ones that'll say your Windows system is infected. You know were you stand with that.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
  • Pyxis
    Thanks, both.

Useful to know. :)
    (I just lurve spiders!)
    INFJ(Turbulent).

• debitcardmayhem
    debitcardmayhem Posts: 11,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    AndyPix wrote: »
    Its easy for a php/javascript to detect what browser you are using and customise its wording accordingly.

It DEFINATELY wasn't from apple lol ..

If you had followed it through, no doubt you would have landed on the app store page for a dubious security or a/v program, which is either owned by the scumbags who wrote the popup, or they are getting paid per install they generate.

I promise you haven't been hacked
    Sorry andy but your post must have been generated by a dodgy English script since they would defanitely not written DEFINATELY for definitely :D
    🍺 😎 Still grumpy, and No, Cloudflare I am NOT a robot 🤖BUT my responses are now out of my control they are posted via ChatGPT or the latest AI
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 20 March 2017 at 5:34PM
    Sorry andy but your post must have been generated by a dodgy English script since they would defanitely not written DEFINATELY for definitely :D

Apologies. I am dyslexic and sometimes mis-spell things

As do you it seems ..

defanitely not written DEFINATELY for definitely :D
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Well I don't know about everyone else, but i'm impressed, I think OP is ready to graduate to Android!

Most Apple users would have fallen for that popup trick and headed off to install some juicy malware.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure