Money Moral Dilemma: How should we split the bills in our house?

This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...
I bought a house with my sister and her husband - they own 50% between them and I own the other half. What's the fairest way to split the bills?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be enjoyed as a point of debate and discussed at face value.

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply!

[purplesignup][/purplesignup]

Comments

• flyingflea
    flyingflea Posts: 192 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Newshound!
    Um, how about splitting the bills three ways? Doesn't matter who owns what, you all should contribute the same unless one of you uses disproportionately more than anyone else.
  • bagby
    bagby Posts: 828 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    General utility bills go three ways. Any repairs etc to actual house and house insurance bills split between two.
  • donlou89
    donlou89 Posts: 12 Forumite
    3 ways as utility bills would be higher than if it was just 2 sharing so everyone should pay their fair share
  • As others have said previously split the bills 3 ways.

When me and my husband bought our house we decided on splitting the mortgage, bills and other bits and bobs 50-50 and carried it on for holidays and food, its just makes it so much easier
  • TeamPlum
    TeamPlum Posts: 213 Forumite
    When me and my husband bought our house we decided on splitting the mortgage, bills and other bits and bobs 50-50 and carried it on for holidays and food, its just makes it so much easier

Personally find it easier to not bother splitting bills when you're married.

I'll share my life with you, but not my money.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    No, of course not.

*reads the question*

Wow, the Money Moral Dilemma is actually a sensible question this week.

Split it three ways. Technically as you own 50% but only get to live in 33%, they benefit disproportionately to their share. However, if you split the maintenance and upkeep bills equally, you benefit disproportionately. Swings and roundabouts, and it's not worth causing a scene over.

And I hope for God's sake that all of you are saving up so that you can buy the other half out when one or two of you moves out for whatever reason.
  • TeamPlum wrote: »

I'll share my life with you, but not my money.

IKR??? Never understood this way of thinking.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    TeamPlum wrote: »
    But it's not just a married couple in this 'dilemma':
    MSE_Nick wrote: »
    I bought a house with my sister and her husband - they own 50% between them and I own the other half. What's the fairest way to split the bills?
  • clint_S
    clint_S Posts: 366 Forumite
    Not enough info to answer this. Are you all living in the house? Is this an investment property? What bills?
  • TBagpuss
    TBagpuss Posts: 11,203 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Bills split 3 ways - i.e. they pay 2/3 between them, you pay 1/3.
    Mortgage and Buildings Insurance 50/50 reflecting your respecitve insterests in the house.

And if you don't already have one, get advice with a view to having a formal deed drawnup clearly setting out who owns what, who pays what, and what happens when one of you wants to sell or leave.
    All posts are my personal opinion, not formal advice Always get proper, professional advice (particularly about anything legal!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure