£67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed....

Comments

• Groceries is definitely your target. If your kids are eating beans on toast because they've had a hot lunch, and you're eating mostly vegetarian food, I am completely mystified as to where that 500 is going. Can you swap to a cheaper supermarket? Tracking and meal planning will probably do loads to help just on its own.
    Kids' clothes and even your clothes are another one to be tackled: I'm on a lot of FB swap-and-sale groups for high end labels, and I see a lot of stuff come up that's still new season but half the price because someone's worn it twice and decided they don't love it - is that worth seeking out for a few of your favourite brands? Kid 3, I think, could be well outfitted by hitting the thrift stores in a posh area!
    These are definitely coming out as the two areas that I need to do something about immediately. Cheaper supermarket is the first step, plus some wardrobe planning to see what my kids actually might need over the coming months. Haven't ever even looked at FB groups for this sort of thing!
    FatVonD wrote: »
    If your grocery bill is high because you can't resist buying a new toy or magazine then shopping online could be your answer to cutting your shopping budget significantly.
    I too think you should cancel the holiday, is it really only going to cost £300 + £100? What about food and spending money while you're there?
    I'm confident the holiday will only cost that - self catering so just normal food bill, and no additional activities to pay for. I also couldn't begin to contemplate telling the parents that we were too broke to afford it when we'd said yes four months ago!
    Online shopping for food could work, but actually I've done really well before by just going to Aldi/Lidl (with a strict list) and then buying extras that we really in Sainsburys. I used to shop for a lot less, it has definitely crept up again over the past 3 months, and by more than just the food price increase.
    Totally get the idea of not wanting your children to miss out. I have National Trust membership as it quickly pays for itself and allows days out across the country should you want that. With my children, particularly as they have got older, I've had to limit what they can do, so one daughter has chosen not to have music lessons because she preferred to do something else. We don't do swimming lessons but
    I try to take them swimming as often as time and budget allow.
    Swimming is fairly essential for us (coastal location, spend a lot of time at the beach), but I think I need to have a little internal rule that if they want to start something new then they'll have to choose between it and music until our debt is much more manageable.
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • Day 2

Wow, so much food for thought yesterday. A huge thank you to everyone who took the time to comment, help me really clarify what the stupid parts of the budget are and what needs to be tackled first - it's so helpful to get an outside perspective, as some numbers become so normalised that it seems impossible to change them.

Some plans...

To do today:
    1. Check children's wardrobes and establish what might need buying in the next two months, and how to do it for less
    2. Pack snacks for journey to visit family today, so we don't get tempted to stop and buy anything on the way
    3. Have a NSD

To do this week:
    1. Redo our budget to ensure that even if I only earn my minimum of £250 per month, that the shortfall is gone, whether it has to come from clothes, food, entertainment or whatever. It's lovely to try to earn extra to cover it every month, but I need to get us to a position where if I don't that we're not getting further into debt.
    2. We are away visiting family from today until Thursday, so no worries about food shopping until then (DH at home, but can make do with what's in the house, there is loads), but I'm going to challenge myself to make Thursday's top up shop to get us through until the following Tuesday (normal food shopping day) come in at under £30.
    3. List child 3's old cot on eBay
    4. Menu plan for next week and use MySupermarket to keep the cost down to <£60 for the week
    5. DH - water meter reading to make sure our direct debit is accurate
    6. DH - gas and electricity readings, to make sure direct debit is accurate

I did have a list of longer term aims, but I know I am much better at looking long term and making lovely optimistic plans, and ignoring what's happening right now, so I have deleted it and am going to concentrate on getting those short term goals in place before I think more long term.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
  • ani*fan
    ani*fan Posts: 1,554 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    This looks to me like a solid plan. Bravo! :T

A few thoughts...

You mentioned your children have really good quality clothes that they sometimes grow out of before they're worn, could you sell some of these on ebay or elsewhere?

Getting snacks arranged in advance is brilliant. Part of this is being much more organised than you've ever been before. Same goes for food shopping and meal planning.

You could try gumtree for selling the cot. It's more local so buyers know they have to pick up and that you're not prepared to try and post a cot.

If you're in credit with the gas or electricity, get them to refund the cash. It's yours.

I totally agree that dealing with immediate concerns is the way forward. If you look too long term then it beomes very disheartening and maybe overwhelming.

My apologies if I sounded too severe yesterday. You do sound like you have a better hold of this today and that's great. :) I hope you and the children have a lovely few days with your family.
    If you know you have enough, you're rich. ;)
  • angelpye
    angelpye Posts: 995 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Someone bought their 'A' game! Sounds like you have a plan :D

You can do this and you will find a way that suits you plus cutting down can be quite addictive!

I am by the sea too and totally agree with swimming lessons as a necessary.

I have always done well on Eb@y when I actually put the effort in to list kids clothes - don't get anywhere near what I paid for them but all adds up. Even bundles of more worn clothes have sold - although I made sure pics clearly showed they were not in nearly new condition.

Hope you enjoy your time away :D
    Happiness is wanting what you have...
    Debt Jan 2017: £2589.22 DFD: [STRIKE]Sept 2022[/STRIKE] April 2022 but this Marching Minimalist can beat that!
    Use it or Loose it gym target: Feb'17 5/6 Mar 4/6 :j
    EF £0/£4200
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Honeysucklelou2 Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 13 February 2017 at 10:33AM
    I too am in a coastal location but ultimately if I can't afford swimming lessons, then I do the next best thing and take them as much as I can afford to. I did begin with swimming lessons, amongst other activities but the overall cost was too much and I was getting into more debt to continue them, hence why I stopped. Schools are obliged to teach swimming as part of the National Curriculum and lots of schools do extend that to KS1 as well.
    Everybody's debt busting journey is different, for me I've had to cut back on children's activities until I'm in a better financial place. We still have days out but these tend to be NT days out or beach days.

Good idea to sell any high end clothes on EBay.
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • Good luck with your goals!
  • Just wanted to pop in and say good luck! I think you've done really well in getting your SOA done and identifying the spendiest areas.
    I'm very new to these boards myself so don't have much to say apart from good luck! I've subscribed to your thread :)
  • Are you providing packed lunches for the 6 and 8 year old? All school meals are free now for Primary aged children, regardless. Good luck!

My little one is in Reception and we still pay if she wants hot dinners.
  • ani*fan wrote: »
    Getting snacks arranged in advance is brilliant. Part of this is being much more organised than you've ever been before. Same goes for food shopping and meal planning.

If you're in credit with the gas or electricity, get them to refund the cash. It's yours.

My apologies if I sounded too severe yesterday. You do sound like you have a better hold of this today and that's great. :) I hope you and the children have a lovely few days with your family.
    I'm hoping there's a bit of credit on the gas and electricity and we can get refund and/or reduce the DD a bit. No idea though - will be depressing if it turns out it's exactly right or a bit short! Will be an incentive to put some energy saving measures in place. And yes to the organising - part of my job is being killer at organisation and planning, I need to apply those skills here.
    And the harshness yesterday from anyone wasn't a problem - I posted here to get ideas and be accountable, and you were all doing exactly what was needed.
    angelpye wrote: »
    Someone bought their 'A' game! Sounds like you have a plan :D

You can do this and you will find a way that suits you plus cutting down can be quite addictive!

I am by the sea too and totally agree with swimming lessons as a necessary.

I have always done well on Eb@y when I actually put the effort in to list kids clothes - don't get anywhere near what I paid for them but all adds up. Even bundles of more worn clothes have sold - although I made sure pics clearly showed they were not in nearly new condition.
    Hadn't even thought about selling properly worn out clothes - have been merrily charity shopping or donating to friends. Will improve on that in future! thanks for the words of support.
    Just wanted to pop in and say good luck! I think you've done really well in getting your SOA done and identifying the spendiest areas.
    I'm very new to these boards myself so don't have much to say apart from good luck! I've subscribed to your thread :)
    Thank you! Lovely to have you aboard :-)
  • Just wanted to say hello and good luck, have you tried using budgeting software like YNAB (YouNeedABudget)? I've found it invaluable in getting my finances sorted, and strangely even fun to use.
    LBM Oct'16 at [STRIKE]£51,264[/STRIKE]
    Jan '17 [STRIKE]£25,059[/STRIKE] (Sold car)
    May '17 £19,349
    DFD Projection [STRIKE]Dec '18[/STRIKE] Aug '18
    Gazelle Intensity!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family