I've Not Been Paid in 2 Months, What Next?

Good evening,

So I made a post over here about how I've not been paid at my job for 2 months and my boss keeps pushing back the pay date.

I know I have to write an office letter soon to ask for my money, but my questions are the following;

1) I had no job before this 2 months work stint, so I don't think I earn enough to warrant tax(?), do I ask for my amount based on a taxed or untaxed pay amount?
It was 2 months of employment but I only worked for 1 and a half months (I said I wouldn't work till I was paid again, that was 3odd weeks ago now) based on the £16,000 (salary work) a year I came out to about £1775.62 with tax, sound right?

2) I have nothing to overly proove I work where I work. I was never given a contract other than "can you start now?", not sure if that will work against me. Would my boss be able to just say "No idea who he is, never worked here" and leave me out of pocket?

So, I really have very little idea what to do next other than write a letter and start looking for more work.

Suggestions and comments welcome.

Comments

• YoYoY
    YoYoY Posts: 281 Forumite
    Good evening,

So I made a post over here about how I've not been paid at my job for 2 months and my boss keeps pushing back the pay date.

I know I have to write an office letter soon to ask for my money, but my questions are the following;

1) I had no job before this 2 months work stint, so I don't think I earn enough to warrant tax(?), do I ask for my amount based on a taxed or untaxed pay amount?
    It was 2 months of employment but I only worked for 1 and a half months (I said I wouldn't work till I was paid again, that was 3odd weeks ago now) based on the £16,000 (salary work) a year I came out to about £1775.62 with tax, sound right?

2) I have nothing to overly proove I work where I work. I was never given a contract other than "can you start now?", not sure if that will work against me. Would my boss be able to just say "No idea who he is, never worked here" and leave me out of pocket?

So, I really have very little idea what to do next other than write a letter and start looking for more work.

1. You can reclaim any overpayment of tax from HMRC at the end of the tax year if it's not resolved through PAYE this year.

2. If you are paid by the employer, then that sounds like evidence enough you were employed. Otherwise I'm sure you could find a witness if necessary to corroborate you worked there.

Good luck in finding a new job, hopefully one that pays you this time. And make sure you get a contract of employment in future too :)
  • YoYoY wrote: »
    1. You can reclaim any overpayment of tax from HMRC at the end of the tax year if it's not resolved through PAYE this year.

2. If you are paid by the employer, then that sounds like evidence enough you were employed. Otherwise I'm sure you could find a witness if necessary to corroborate you worked there.

Good luck in finding a new job, hopefully one that pays you this time. And make sure you get a contract of employment in future too :)

On point one, so in my letter I ask for it with the tax taken out?

On point two, I have yet to be paid every with my current boss. I only been there two months. Rest of it I think I can prove.

And cheers for the kind words.
  • Just a small bump for some more help.
  • notts_phil
    notts_phil Posts: 1,087 Forumite
    The employer can only pay you according to your tax code that they hold for you
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • dLockers
    dLockers Posts: 338 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    On point one, so in my letter I ask for it with the tax taken out?

On point two, I have yet to be paid every with my current boss. I only been there two months. Rest of it I think I can prove.

And cheers for the kind words.

No, you will be taxed basic rate if the didnt receive a tax code when you joined. You then claim this back next April.
  • CAB_Malvern_Hills_representative
    CAB_Malvern_Hills_representative Posts: 153 Organisation Representative
    Good evening,

Hi

The key point here is that you are entitled to paid for the work you have done (in both your jobs ). If pay is withheld then this is likely to amount to an unauthorised deduction from wages and it is possible to make a claim to an Employment Tribunal for the amount owing. You need to get advice in person from your nearest CAb as soon as possible as there are strict time limits for making a claim ( generally within 3 months from the date you understood you were going to paid - but it may simply be safer to use the date you last worked for them as the starting point. In any event do not delay - your former employer may well be delaying paying you in the hope you will go away. if you look on the adviceguide website there is more information on deductions from wages and a search facility to help you to find your nearest CAB.

Generally employers should deduct tax and NI from your wages as you are obliged to pay it but you can get this back from the Inland Revenue if over the full tax year your actual income means that you didn't need to pay so much tax. The Inland Revenue website can give you more information on the PAYE system .

When you start work again you should ask for a statement of your main terms and conditions which should state when and how you are going to get paid as well as listing other key entitlements such as holidays and sickness provision.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com as usual"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure