Can I get antibiotics at NHS walk in centre?

Comments

• dizziblonde
    dizziblonde Posts: 4,276 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Person_one wrote: »
    Hopefully not any of the posters here, but advising stockpiling is not really a great idea.

But you see - when that zombie apocalypse strikes and those two paracetamol aren't cutting it...
    Little miracle born April 2012, 33 weeks gestation and a little toughie!
  • LondonDiva
    LondonDiva Posts: 3,011 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    All GP voicemails will have details of the out of hours GP cover for when they are closed. Call your practice and you will get details of the GP service covering your area while they are closed.
    "This is a forum - not a support group. We do not "owe" anyone unconditional acceptance of their opinions."
  • samboette
    samboette Posts: 399 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Well clearly some people take them when they aren't prescribed, aren't needed, aren't the appropriate antibiotic for the infection if there even is an infection and don't follow the best practice guidelines for dosage and length of course. Hence the problems we're starting to see now.

Hopefully not any of the posters here, but advising stockpiling is not really a great idea.

You have heard of antibiotic resistance surely? You are aware that its a huge problem and a bit of a ticking timebomb?

Comments like this really get on my wick!

I am fully aware of Antibiotic resistant bacteria I had MRSA!

I have had numerous weeks off work because I have suffered the horrible effects of cellulitis because I was unable to get antibiotics. I had an episode so severe that I only was only given 48hrs to respond to antibiotics, fortunately I responded but it was too late for a a large chunk of tissue on my leg which had to be debrided over 3 surgeries in order to save my leg!

I'm sure I speak for the others on here that we don't take antibiotics or in fact "stockpile" them for fun. We have them on hand when needed and are not stupid to take them when we are fit and well.

Those who suffer frequent infections will know the symptoms and the quicker antibiotics are in the system the better. What would you rather have, people taking up hospital beds for days on end, leaving them at risk to further hospital acquired infections?

Anyway Zaksmum, I hope you are feeling better!
  • zaksmum
    zaksmum Posts: 5,529 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Well clearly some people take them when they aren't prescribed, aren't needed, aren't the appropriate antibiotic for the infection if there even is an infection and don't follow the best practice guidelines for dosage and length of course. Hence the problems we're starting to see now.

You have heard of antibiotic resistance surely? You are aware that its a huge problem and a bit of a ticking timebomb?

Of course I have! I can't imagine anybody taking antibiotics they don't need, and surely when they are taken the prescriber's instructions are followed.

Uncontrolled infection can have disastrous consequences and if antibiotics are needed, the sooner they are started the better.
  • LadyMorticia
    LadyMorticia Posts: 19,899 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    How are you feeling now, OP? Did you manage to get any antibiotics?

Hope you're okay.
    2019 Wins
    1/25

£2019 in 2019
    £10/£2019
  • Person_one
    Person_one Posts: 28,884 Forumite
    zaksmum wrote: »
    Of course I have! I can't imagine anybody taking antibiotics they don't need, and surely when they are taken the prescriber's instructions are followed.

People do, its a huge problem.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9147414/Resistance-to-antibiotics-could-bring-the-end-of-modern-medicine-as-we-know-it-WHO-claim.html

"The paper blamed the current situation largely on the misuse of antibiotics, which are not prescribed properly and used too frequently and for too long."
  • Brighton_belle
    Brighton_belle Posts: 5,223 Forumite
    "The paper blamed the current situation largely on the misuse of antibiotics, which are not prescribed properly and used too frequently and for too long."
    Isn't it also people who don't use them long enough too i.e. given a 7 day dose, but problem appears to have gone after 4, because they don' really trust modern drugs, so stop taking them, but of course it hasn't finished dealing with he underlying infection, just the surface evidence and it overcmes the inital antibiotics and comes back straight away, so then people need at least another 7 day dose and sometimes more to get rid of it.
    I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once
  • Person_one
    Isn't it also people who don't use them long enough too i.e. given a 7 day dose, but problem appears to have gone after 4, because they don' really trust modern drugs, so stop taking them, but of course it hasn't finished dealing with he underlying infection, just the surface evidence and it overcmes the inital antibiotics and comes back straight away, so then people need at least another 7 day dose and sometimes more to get rid of it.

Yep, stopping early is bad too.

There's info here.

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/ARC/Pages/AboutARC.aspx

http://www.hpa.org.uk/Topics/InfectiousDiseases/InfectionsAZ/AntibioticAwareness/

I know I sound preachy but it really is a huge huge problem that could see us back in the dark ages in terms of healthcare. If you do need antibiotics, then of course you need them and should get them (A&E usually have most types in stock) but people shouldn't be deciding on their own or hoarding them to use without a prescription.
  • missprice
    missprice Posts: 3,735 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Well I learned summat today:)

never knew you could have a course of antibiotics on hand so to speak for when your ill.
    I don't at the moment have many chest infections, but at one point I was having 2 or 3 a year and leaving it til the last minute to see doc, even though I knew one was on its way, and therefore being worse for longer

Well next time I see my very nice GP I shall be asking if I too can have a course spare, although last time I was ill it was pneumonia and oh god was I ever ill. but even then I left it till I was barely breathing to see the GP, I have this odd feeling that unless I am obviously ill he wont believe me thats why I leave it so late:)
    63 mortgage payments to go.

Zero wins 2016 😥
  • Person_one
    missprice wrote: »
    Well I learned summat today:)

never knew you could have a course of antibiotics on hand so to speak for when your ill.
    I don't at the moment have many chest infections, but at one point I was having 2 or 3 a year and leaving it til the last minute to see doc, even though I knew one was on its way, and therefore being worse for longer

Well next time I see my very nice GP I shall be asking if I too can have a course spare, although last time I was ill it was pneumonia and oh god was I ever ill. but even then I left it till I was barely breathing to see the GP, I have this odd feeling that unless I am obviously ill he wont believe me thats why I leave it so late:)

Please don't, just go to the GP or to a walk in centre or even to A&E if you think you need them. Doctors, pharmacists and nurse prescribers study for years in order to know how to use these drugs appropriately and even then lots of them get it wrong. We ordinary unqualified people shouldn't be making the decision.

(I have asthma too and get a chest infection most winters, I also have recurrent ear infections and had tonsillitis about 10 times as a teenager, but the long term prospects are much worse if resistance carries on at the pace its going!)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure