Bank says no - could lose new job

Options
gwin
gwin Posts: 102 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
Been out of work 20 months, just found out I got a new job.
To get to the job I need a car. To get the car I need a loan. Halifax says no as nothing is shown going in.
Having refrained from knocking on her head and shouting "Hellooo!" I repeated the situation and offered to show my contract once I have it.
"We need 3 months wage slips", her script told her to reply.
Which they wont get until I'm there 3 months, which I won't be if I don't get a car...etc, etc.

You can see the dilemma. Any advice please?

Comments

• freeisgood
    Options
    Do you really NEED a car for the job? Can you manage three months with other forms of transport? Could you hire a car for 3 months?
  • ~Beanie~
    ~Beanie~ Posts: 3,043 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 29 September 2014 at 4:34PM
    Options
    You are going to find it very difficult, if not impossible, to get a loan when you have no income. Showing a contract is not really any good, you may decide not to take the job or your new employer could withdraw their offer.

Can't you use public transport for a few months then try again?
    :p
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,285 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Why not move to live close to your job?
  • Bantex_2
    Bantex_2 Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    Options
    Could borrow a bike.
  • gwin
    gwin Posts: 102 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry, guys, should've explained, it's shifts that can go from 4am start to 2 am the following morning. Depot is around 15 miles away.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    You won't get a loan without proof of income. You might even be declined in three months time unfortunately. How much are you hoping to borrow?

You'll need to find an alternative. Friends or family cannot help? Perhaps set your sights lower and purchase a moped?
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If it were me I would have looked into transport before applying for the job.
  • clayton16749
    Options
    DCFC79 wrote: »
    If it were me I would have looked into transport before applying for the job.

As would I.

But now you're in this situation, there has to be some alternative. I'm sure you must want the job, especially after being out of work for quite a while.

Could you spare a few hundred quid to buy an old car - one with a long MOT. Cycle?
  • James_B.
    Options
    gwin wrote: »
    Sorry, guys, should've explained, it's shifts that can go from 4am start to 2 am the following morning. Depot is around 15 miles away.

I'd suggest scraping together the minimum that would get you a scooter, or finding a car that runs and has a bit of tax left for a few hundred pounds, and using overdraft or savings for that.

It's no use complaining that the bank is being short-sighted, you are unemployed, and for all they know will be let go on day two of your job. They are not there to take a chance on people, they are there to return a profit to their shareholders.
  • CKhalvashi
    CKhalvashi Posts: 12,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Try Apex rental, although its month upfront.

They've been great for temporary fleet for us, and should be able to sort you out with something for a short time at reasonable money.
    💙💛 💔
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport