Can worn suspension parts lead to increased tyre noise?

Options
DominicH
DominicH Posts: 288 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
I'm not talking about thumps, clunks, creaks, etc. Just general tyre roar that most cars suffer from to some extent. I could swear that there's more tyre roar in my car compared to when it was newer (it has done over 80,000 miles). I have tried four different brands of tyres over the years but they don't seem to make much difference to the level of noise.
"Einstein never said most of the things attributed to him" - Mark Twain

Comments

• laidbackgjr
    Options
    Yes - worn suspension can generate more tyre noise if for example the shock absorbers aren't working as well as new the tyre will not have such a smooth ride / contact with the road surface generating noise. Also just generally an older car will have more noise as sound deadening material ages / window seals get less effective etc.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    edited 1 October 2014 at 2:20PM
    Options
    DominicH wrote: »
    I'm not talking about thumps, clunks, creaks, etc. Just general tyre roar that most cars suffer from to some extent. I could swear that there's more tyre roar in my car compared to when it was newer (it has done over 80,000 miles). I have tried four different brands of tyres over the years but they don't seem to make much difference to the level of noise.

If you put the same tyres (brand, type, size and speed rating), then it shouldnt sound much different to when it was new.

Car manufacturers spend millions of £ on chosing the right tyre for each of their cars, then people go and fit cheap rubber from Crapfits rubber band factory in China and then wonder why the car doesn't feel right.

Suspension wear can have an effect, but it's not that much.

BUT do yourself a favour though, look in behind each wheel and make sure the suspension spring hasn't snapped at it's base and isn't sticking into the tyre wall.
    This would certainly cause noise and is extremely dangerous.......

This ^^ is becoming worryingly common.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • DominicH
    Options
    Yes - worn suspension can generate more tyre noise if for example the shock absorbers aren't working as well as new the tyre will not have such a smooth ride / contact with the road surface generating noise. Also just generally an older car will have more noise as sound deadening material ages / window seals get less effective etc.
    Thanks. It does seem to jibe with my general experience that cars start feeling tired at about the eight-year / 70000-mile mark. This one is now nine and has been feeling its age for a while. Is it worth replacing suspension parts if other seals and soundproofing are shot too? Probably not.
  • Slowly_does_it..
    Options
    I had a bad roar from the rear tyres on my Focus, wheel alignment was way out, possibly get that checked out before replacing parts that don't need replacing yet?

Find a place that does 4 wheel alignment.
  • Strider590
    Strider590 Posts: 11,874 Forumite
    Options
    DominicH wrote: »
    Thanks. It does seem to jibe with my general experience that cars start feeling tired at about the eight-year / 70000-mile mark. This one is now nine and has been feeling its age for a while. Is it worth replacing suspension parts if other seals and soundproofing are shot too? Probably not.

Or how about...... Is it worth keeping the car if they ashtray is full?

I can't believe you just asked that question on a money saving forum and I also don't see how soundproofing can degrade.
    It's not an active or mechanical component! It doesn't get filled up with sound to the point where it's overflowing.

New shocks and spring, maybe the drop links and some bushes, it's a bit of work, but it's a million miles from the cost of buying another car!!! Especially as anything 2nd hand is likely to have faults of it's own.
    “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.”

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
  • DominicH
    edited 1 October 2014 at 3:28PM
    Options
    Strider590 wrote: »
    New shocks and spring, maybe the drop links and some bushes, it's a bit of work, but it's a million miles from the cost of buying another car!!!
    I'm sorry my posts are apparently making you so angry. But I'm wondering, is that the appropriate comparison? The question might be, can you get a better car by selling your car and adding what you would have paid for repairs, minus a bit for the hassle and unknown-quantity factor? If so, then it could be financially sound to do so. You can argue that that is not the case here, but the general idea seems valid.

Anyway, I was only wondering if it was worth it from the point of view of reducing road noise, if other components could be contributing to it too, as the other poster suggested. Of course there are other good reasons why you might want to replace suspension components.
  • JustinR1979
    JustinR1979 Posts: 1,828 Forumite
    Options
    Are the wheel bearings getting noisy?
  • laidbackgjr
    Options
    Strider590 wrote: »
    I also don't see how soundproofing can degrade.
    It's not an active or mechanical component! It doesn't get filled up with sound to the point where it's overflowing.

Because it gets wet / hot / cold / vibrates loose, or gets removed to replace a part and isn't as well refitted as when it left the factory.

It get's damaged - e.g. the sound deadening fitted under the bonnet of many cars often gets damaged by the bonnet stay or trying to close the bonnet when something is in the way.

All small factors that contribute to a car that's done 70,000+ miles not being quite so quiet as it was when it left the factory.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure